XP/W2k3 x86 on Modern Hardware

George King

50 minutes ago, pappyN4 said:

@Andalu JMicron, VID152D PID0583.  JMS583Gen 2 to PCIe Gen3x2 Bridge

I have too an adapter with the same chipset. I'll try it on the motherboard where the restart fails with a connected PS/2 keyboard and the uaspstor from win8.

19 minutes ago, Andalu said:

I have too an adapter with the same chipset. I'll try it on the motherboard where the restart fails with a connected PS/2 keyboard and the uaspstor from win8.

Thanks.  Just for clarity, the PS2 keyboard is only used when installing windows (at least until i figure out how to integrate win8 usb into DOSNET/HIVESYS/etc...)  While I was testing the adapter, keyboard was USB, no PS2 port was being used.

Did you use the adapter in another computer without the PS2 issue and it works?  Same win7_storport, ntoskrn8,usbd8,storpor8 combination?

@pappyN4

Hi,

sorry for the delay in my reply.

I don't have the restart issue you reported for the JMS583 USB to NVMe enclosure in 3 systems tested, but all of them have an USB intel xHCI controller. Unfortunately, I don't have any AMD board to test.

Here the test systems configuration with stor_uas driver from Win8:

JMS583.png

storport.sys v6.1.7601.23403 (SHA1: 52B722E6D53E6E539996F9C0FAD3F43B069C616E)
usbd8.sys  v6.2.9200.20761 (SHA1: 5B0951A9817203A1B3DD1770062F1A5F1DE8694D)
storpor8.sys v5.1.2600.8 (SHA1: 0F522653335981E4074127737200D35908634E11)
stor_uas.sys v6.2.9200.16384 (SHA1: 34EBEDF9AD9F4CDC89B59E580CC3CD4223F6DE78)
uaspstor.sys v6.2.9200.16384 (SHA1: 7F9C97BE9820DB7B586D3B00F73940A12715C4BA)
usbd_w8.sys v6.2.9200.16384  (SHA1: 6B26C1252D7CC00E9B6E4C46EE773DB03DEF4B90)
WppRecorder.sys v6.2.9200.16384 (SHA1: AB0369D23C2A03A7C7D1769713770B3415761637)

Do you have already tried with the USB3 Etron driver? It also works for the UAS devices and as for the stor_uas driver from Win8 it has better performances than the Via UAS driver.

Edit: I see you're using an updated storport.sys (I think it's already patched) that I was not able to find. Could you please upload it somewhere?

Edited by Andalu

@canonkongGood to know.  I tested daniel_k's usb3/uaspstor on Windows 7 and it worked fine at least on there.

@Andalu Thanks for the testing. I havent tried the Etron, I have tried the VIA one from GeorgeKing drivers pack and from the Integral ISO.  It works, but is slower.  The Win8uasptor is super fast.

MovAX sent me a copy of the 2003/w8_storport versions he had.  Restart worked fine with both of those, but as soon as I put back the one using w7_storport restart stopped again.  Must be something with my motherboard.

I patched the deadlock on the win7_storport using the 2003 method from MovAX.  It is not "pretty", since  uaspstor needs the storpor8.sys extended function then the w7_storport.  So two extra files for uasp driver to keep storports separate, but it does reboot now.  Ideal would be to use w8_storport, but looking at it, it is not a simple thing, I would not be able to make one for x64 or update the Emu_extender readme to make it accessible for anyone to make.

Here's x86 version using w7_storport. https://ufile.io/u28mfr1v

There is still one little change left to make to make it completely self contained.  Right now it looks to me that the renamed stor_uas still has contact with the original storport.sys somewhere.

changesstillneeded.png

Need to figure out how to change that.  It's probably simple but I'm too tired to see it now. 

Maybe @Mov AX, 0xDEAD can take a quick look?  Or if you see a simpler way to do uasp/storpor8/w7_storport ?

2 hours ago, Andalu said:

Edit: I see you're using an updated storport.sys (I think it's already patched) that I was not able to find. Could you please upload it somewhere?

It's nothing special.  There was a win7 update a few months ago that had newer version for a couple of files.  storport is 2kb bigger now.  I updated the readme on github, I dont think its merged yet.

https://github.com/pappyN4/NTOSKRNL_Emu/blob/master/README.md

https://ufile.io/s8cp2lko

@pappyN4

Hi pappy,
although with delay, I have to thank you for the updated files.

Do you have solved the JMS583 restart issue with your "W7deadlockTest1" driver?

Even if I'm sure you have already solved, I wanted to confirm that the driver works without issues here. The stor_uas.sys (modified to exclude the last reference to storport.sys) should have SHA-1 1F712DE6864E14F201EF3D59BB5A161E7A735019 now.

Another way to find a solution for the restart issue could be to try the "coexistence" of different versions of storport.sys as
@Mov AX, 0xDEAD had reported on the deleted XP thread:

"To coexist different versions of storport need:
1) rename storport.sys to stor_xxx.sys or xxx_stor.sys
2) in stor_xxx.sys change unicode "\Device\RaidPort%d" to unique string, like "\Device\UaspPort%d" or "\Device\NVMePort%d"
."

Edit: I just seen you've updated the Emu_Extender readme with the instructions for the Windows 8's UASP driver. Thanks ;)

Edited by Andalu

@AndaluYes, my uasp restart issue is fixed with the test1 driver.  Coexistence \Device\UaspPort is already changed in the stor_uas from test1.

Only cosmetic issue remain is that stor_ua8->stor_uas->storport somewhere.  So test1 driver is not fully "self contained", but still works.  Uasp via stor_ua8 uses the patched stor_uas  and since both XP/XP64 both need storport for ahci/nvme drivers, the two imports that stor_uas asks from storport exist.

Would be cleaner if we could get that last storport dependency removed from stor_uas/stor_uas8.

Edited by pappyN4

@skulltrailAny chance to get these kernel functions? I would like to see working sdbus.sys and sdstor.sys from Windows 8.0 to get Generic SD / MMC driver

PoFxIdleComponent
IoSynchronousCallDriver
PoFxSetDeviceIdleTimeout
PoFxUnregisterDevice
PoFxStartDevicePowerManagement
PoUnregisterPowerSettingCallback
PoFxActivateComponent
KeLeaveGuardedRegion
KeEnterGuardedRegion
PoFxCompleteIdleCondition
PoFxCompleteIdleState
PoFxReportDevicePoweredOn
PoFxCompleteDevicePowerNotRequired
PoFxRegisterDevice
IoGetActivityIdIrp
RtlQueryRegistryValuesEx

AMD + Ryzen 7 - PartMgr has a yellow "!" in Device Manager!

Hi! I noticed entrie with yellow exclamation point under "Non plug and play
drivers": PartMgr saying Code24 "device not present...not
working...or drivers not installed."

How to fix it?

Compiling ACPI v2.0 driver for Windows XP SP3 and Windows 2003 SP2 (x32/x64)

Here are compiled ACPI2.0 v4 from latest sources

1) x86 Windows XP x86 SP3 (5.1.2600.7777.4) + Windows Server 2003 SP2 (5.2.3790.7777.4) debug and free

2) x64 Windows Server 2003 / XP SP2 (5.2.3790.7777.4) debug and free

https://www.mediafire.com/file/wsqgptapdrxhidf/ACPI2.0_v4_x86+x64_5.1+5.2.7z/file

acpi-Ver.png

Extras included:

a) _OSI extra OS list to unlock hidden devices

b) modded acpiosnt.rc to overwrite PruductVersion attribute in file info, replaced "," with "." so it's now in same logic as other standard files, added .4 to easily detect which patch was used as build base

Edited by George King

On 4/21/2022 at 7:20 AM, George King said:

@skulltrailAny chance to get these kernel functions? I would like to see working sdbus.sys and sdstor.sys from Windows 8.0 to get Generic SD / MMC driver

Hey friend, i can try implement or integrate these functions on kernel

PoFxIdleComponent
IoSynchronousCallDriver
PoFxSetDeviceIdleTimeout
PoFxUnregisterDevice
PoFxActivateComponent
KeLeaveGuardedRegion
KeEnterGuardedRegion
PoFxCompleteIdleState
PoFxRegisterDevice
IoGetActivityIdIrp
RtlQueryRegistryValuesEx

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 4:03 AM, George King said:

@skulltrailSee here, I think we need only small piece of code for extender to get Generic SD/MMC driver from Windows 8.0 build 8056 work under XP - 7.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183528-ndis6-support-for-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1218248

I can get behind a generic SD/MMC driver for XP-7. The one laptop I have with this drive (Acer Aspire R3-131t) supports Windows 7, but there is no driver for its MMC driver (which is Hynix 32GB MMC).

• 5 weeks later...

Howdy everyone...been AWOL for a bit. I was playing a game in XP recently and tried to start another. I got an error claiming my video card does not have directdraw. Another games claimed it did not have direct3D and I know it has both, it's an Nvidia GT1030.

Then it came back to me, we don't have an XP driver for a GT 1030 yet. Has anyone attacked the problem recently? I have read that Nvidia uses a new series of drivers for the 1030 but I have it running on XP at a basic level and it will play games using Scummvm.

In dxdiag, it indicates directdraw as being OK but no direct3D.

I have a bigger problem, however. I want to run softice on my 32-bit XP but it too complains of no directdraw. If I recall, it would run basically on a GT730 but I have other issues. Softice is a great 32-bit debugger but it's very high maintenance.

I don't want to keep swapping video cards but I may have to. Or does anyone know of a decent video card that will run on XP and allows W7 to play newer games? I dual boot XP with W7 and W10 and it's not convenient to keep swapping cards.

@skulltrail

Any news for mising functions for SD / MMCE in One-Core-API v2.5?

I have also prepared https://github.com/MovAX0xDEAD/NTOSKRNL_Emu code with new blank functions, that "only" needs C code to be added into blank functions.

So these functions needs C code to get extender work with Generic MMC / SD v8056

PoFxIdleComponent
IoSynchronousCallDriver (probably done)
PoFxSetDeviceIdleTimeout
PoFxUnregisterDevice
PoFxActivateComponent
KeLeaveGuardedRegion
KeEnterGuardedRegion
PoFxCompleteIdleState
PoFxRegisterDevice
IoGetActivityIdIrp
RtlQueryRegistryValuesEx
Edited by George King

On 6/19/2022 at 9:22 AM, George King said:

@skulltrail

Any news for mising functions for SD / MMCE in One-Core-API v2.5?

I have also prepared https://github.com/MovAX0xDEAD/NTOSKRNL_Emu code with new blank functions, that "only" needs C code to be added into blank functions.

So these functions needs C code to get extender work with Generic MMC / SD v8056

PoFxIdleComponent
IoSynchronousCallDriver (probably done)
PoFxSetDeviceIdleTimeout
PoFxUnregisterDevice
PoFxActivateComponent
KeLeaveGuardedRegion
KeEnterGuardedRegion
PoFxCompleteIdleState
PoFxRegisterDevice
IoGetActivityIdIrp
RtlQueryRegistryValuesEx

Hello man, i'm not focusing in add new functions or features for now, only fix and stability. However, i promise add on Release on july

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Do any of you have a way to get the usb ports to work on the z170mocf? I can install xp easily, everything works except usb which wouldn't be a big problem, but I'd need at least one usb port to work so I can transfer screenshots for hwbot. :)