XP/W2k3 x86 on Modern Hardware

George King

1 hour ago, SKOL said:

Hey guys!

Do any of you have a way to get the usb ports to work on the z170mocf? I can install xp easily, everything works except usb which wouldn't be a big problem, but I'd need at least one usb port to work so I can transfer screenshots for hwbot. :) 

Image builded by XP2ESD v1.6 should work without issues :)

9 hours ago, George King said:

If there will be any issue please post it in that topic :) I hope it will work :)

Yes it did work finally. :D 

I made a macrium image for the os I made if anybody wants to run some superpi or wprime without messing around with drivers: Z170SPI32M :) 

Edited by SKOL

@skulltrail XP2ESD v1.6 contains already working Generic SD/MMC driver ported from Windows 8.0 build 8056! I have added few blanks stubs into Extender and Mov AX, 0xDEAD added correct implemententaion for IoSynchronousCallDriver

Image-1.png

Here are latest sources for extender

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181615-ntoskrnl-emu_extender-for-windows-xp2003/?do=findComment&comment=1222267
Edited by George King

15 hours ago, George King said:

@skulltrail XP2ESD v1.6 contains already working Generic SD/MMC driver ported from Windows 8.0 build 8056! I have added few blanks stubs into Extender and Mov AX, 0xDEAD added correct implemententaion for IoSynchronousCallDriver

Image-1.png

Here are latest sources for extender

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181615-ntoskrnl-emu_extender-for-windows-xp2003/?do=findComment&comment=1222267

Hello friend! Well, i need take a time to make a custom ntoskrnl_emu for One-Core-API, because the main not working. It's occours because ntoskrnl_emu use a method to get address from some internal functions on kernel and as one-core-api use a custom kernel, the address are different. And, i tried transplant ntoskrnl_emu functions to one-core-api kernel and drivers (like USB 3.0) not working. I need time to investigate.

On 7/21/2022 at 7:12 AM, skulltrail said:

On 7/21/2022 at 7:12 AM, skulltrail said:

Hello friend! Well, i need take a time to make a custom ntoskrnl_emu

I am just beginning to analyze the requirements of the extender by Mov AX, 0xDEAD ...I don't know how openly we can discuss this here since some of it will require  discussion of reverse engineering. I was at win-raid when it was shut down for something similar..

I have a fair amount of experience with reversing and that's the main reason I can understand the extender from an OS point of view. Any way we can discuss this in more detail?

On another site, we got around that by not discussing specific software.

Edited by gordo999

• 1 year later...

Idk if this fits in here, but I am selling some modern-ish computers that can run XP on eBay (I'm also selling a Latitude E6530, but that has official WinXP support already, so I'm not counting it. If anybody wants that listing specifically, please PM me, but be warned, it needs repairs). Here they are:

Dell Inspiron 3847: Windows 7 up to 10 are supported. Windows Vista has the well-known Haswell bugs. Windows XP works great using modded AHCI drivers by Fernando. As for the XP Haswell driver, I always got a BSOD when using them. Windows 2000 works, but it requires an ACPI mod, USB2 to be fixed prior to installing (otherwise a PS/2 PCI-E addon card will have to be added and PS/2 peripherals such as a mouse and keyboard will have to be carried in), and SATA drivers. The Universal VESA driver will be needed. Realtek audio and Ethernet will work out of box. I don't think the Intel Chipset drivers will work here for both 2k and XP. This desktop was either late-2014 or early-2015, but I do know it was bought in March of 2015!

Acer Aspire A315-21: Windows 7 up to Windows 11 work officially! Windows Vista works great, even the AMD chipset driver after modding them. AMD Graphics driver requires Extended Kernel to be installed first. With that in mind, all the drivers work except for WiFi (unsupported Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 card)  Windows XP 64-bit will work if you use a modded ACPI and Fernando's AMD SATA driver. The AMD chipset driver will also work here as well! In fact, all the drivers except for WiFi, Realtek card reader (idk why) and Graphics do not work. If you need\want more info, you can PM me. Oh yeah, did I mention this laptop was manufactured in 2019!

Out of the two machines listed here, I think the Acer Aspire A315-21 may be of much more interest here! The AMD Graphics driver wasn't originally supported with Vista, but thanks to K4sum1, it now does after you install the Extended Kernel! This might be the best laptop to run Vista on as 1. It doesn't have the Haswell problems of Intel and 2. It does not suffer from the Ryzen BSOD's. In fact, Vista runs perfect on this laptop from 2019! For the WiFi card, you can ether use the Realtek Ethernet, carry in USB WiFi, or swap out the internal QCA9377 card for something else, as that ain't working until win32 gets support for newer WiFi cards working with the Extended Kernel.

AMD Graphics driver does not support Windows XP 64-bit, but K4sum1 theorized that AMD Graphics 14.4 might be workable under WinXP 64-bit, but take this with a huge grain of salt! To reiterate, all the drivers work except for WiFi, Realtek card reader (idk why as it works under Vista), and of course the AMD Graphics.