Custom HDD Icons Not Working

WhiteHat09

Hi everybody,

Ive looked all over for a solution to this problem and have tried everything Ive found but nothing works. I have a laptop that runs XP, and I have 2 large external HDD and a few USB drives. Im interested in making each HDD (Internal, Large external, and USB) have there own icon. Now I know some of you are like "thats so easy, what a n00b" but I have tried everything and nothing works. First I tried AUTORUN.inf for the external drives which had no affect, then looked to modify the registry (the whole DriveIcon\Default\C thing) and had no luck there. Then I read that If you delete the Iconcache it will rebuild itself at the next bootup and the new icons will show up, so I tried that and not only did the icons not change but it also wouldnt rebuild. Then I found Tweak UI and Icon Tweaker which helped me bring back the Iconcache but still no custom Icons.

Some minor details that I found odd during this search . . . when I opened Icon Tweaker and selected the change a specific drive (in this case C) It said the Icon was the new one I wanted it to be (because I still had the register modification saved) but this icon never shows up in My Computer. And also I recently had a friend use my USB drive and when he stuck it in his Vista operated system the icon appeared (it was the one i specified in the AUTORUN.inf) but still will not show up in my XP My Computer. And just to make it clear I do have the generic XP hard drive icons (as opposed to nothing at all which i hear some people have problems with), they just wont change to the icons i want them to be.

If anyone can find a reason as to why this isnt working or even a solution (that works) so I can have my icons I shall forever be in your debt

OK found how you can do it by editing the registry:

iconssy2.png

- Copy your icons to a location or new directory on your HDD (I create a new folder %WinDir%\Resources\Icons)

- Add something like this to your Registry

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\C\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\Resources\\Icons\\Icon#1.ico,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\D\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\Resources\\Icons\\Icon#2.ico,0"

You can easily modify this .reg file to fit your needs, just edit the path to your icon (make sure you use double slashes "\\")

@="X:\\Icon\\Path\\IconName.ico,0"

And to add a new drive letter simply create a new line and use the drive letter that corresponds to the drive icon you want to change (this will add a new icon for Drive G:\)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\G\DefaultIcon]

• 2 months later...

i'm having the exact same problem :(

i've tried each and every trick mentioned here...

but nothing works :'(

i've even tried using KEL's VistaDrive Icon addon, but no luck there either...

@WhiteHat, have u been able to find a solution ??

EDIT : Okay, i think i found the solution to this.

You need to make sure that the "Shell Hardware Detection" service is running. Set it to run automatically

after doing this, KEL's VistaDrive addon is also working for me :)

hope that helped.

Edited by kilroy

• 8 months later...

*Edit: oh you did this, I should read it more thoroughly before posting.

Open up notepad

put in the following lines

[autorun]

icon=pcpp.ico

pcpp is the name of the icon I used, they both have to be in the same base level of the hard drive to work.

It doesn't take immediate effect, so I log off and log back on, and generally that should be it. When you open up My Computer you will probably see the original drive icons for like a millisecond before it flashes to your custom icons as it is working like a games autorun without starting an installer. Say you insert for example Battlefield 2 into your disc drive, it replaces the disc drives icon with its own. That is how it works.

Anyway once you have typed those lines in notepad save it as autorun.inf and save it to, say... C:\ so it would be C:\Autorun.inf and the icon we will use mine as an example C:\pcpp.ico

Edited by darth_3pio