Back of Laptop Monitor Cracking

WhiteHat09

Hey everybody,

I have an HP Pavilion dv4000 laptop that I bought 2.5 years ago. Just the other day my hand brushed across the top of the closed notebook and felt something odd. There was a slight lump in the back left corner (imagine looking at the laptop as if you were using it and had the screen closed). At first glance I didnt notice any other bumps so I looked more closely at the one I felt and saw that there were very tiny cracks in the surface (almost not even noticeable), and then I looked around it some more and found another bump in the back right corner, this one was much smaller but still i could feel the lump there. I have no idea what this is from, the only thing i can think of is that maybe there are hinges on the inside between the monitor and the outside surface that (after 2.5 years of opening and closing) are starting to warp the outside of it.

I tried googling this issue but nothing came up, yet I also didnt know how to properly describe it, so if anyone has heard of something like this please let me know

Thanks

can you take pictures of this and attach 'em here so we can see it..

post-4002-1191432641_thumb.jpg

Its really hard to see, but if you tip your head just right you can see dark spots inside the red box, those are the cracks. Its really hard to get a good pic of this since I have to be about 4 inches from it to see it myself. Its definitly easier to feel than it is to see.

This is very common on laptops. The hinges are mounted in the plastic, and they are metal. If you have ever had a laptop monitor off and you try to twist those hinges, they are under a ton of load. What happens is, the plastic is pulling on the hinges when you open and close the lid, and because plastic becomes brittle as it ages, the plastic will start to crack and deteriorate.

The DELL Latitude C series is very prone to this. Crazy glue does the trick, but, it looks like crap when alls said and done :(

The best thing to help with this, is not to open and close the lid unnecessarily. If you can handle ugliness, try some crazy glue on it. It will help stiffen the plastic up, and it shouldn't crack there again. It may however, crack else where :(

I have 2 laptops that have done this. A Dell Inspiron 7000 and a Dell Latitude CP.

Hope this helps!

Edited by cygnus

This is very common on laptops. The hinges are mounted in the plastic, and they are metal. If you have ever had a laptop monitor off and you try to twist those hinges, they are under a ton of load. What happens is, the plastic is pulling on the hinges when you open and close the lid, and because plastic becomes brittle as it ages, the plastic will start to crack and deteriorate.

The DELL Latitude C series is very prone to this. Crazy glue does the trick, but, it looks like crap when alls said and done :(

The best thing to help with this, is not to open and close the lid unnecessarily. If you can handle ugliness, try some crazy glue on it. It will help stiffen the plastic up, and it shouldn't crack there again. It may however, crack else where :(

I have 2 laptops that have done this. A Dell Inspiron 7000 and a Dell Latitude CP.

Hope this helps!

Thanx, this is exactly what i thought was happening but as i stated before I have never heard of it and couldnt find anything about it anywhere. I dont think im gonna do the crazy glue trick, im just gonna see how it goes from here. Is it possible that I could (by some extreme stroke of luck) find the exact model as my laptop and replace the cracking cover. I doubt i will be able to find one so this is more of a hypothetical question