Eliminating dual boot

janice

I have the ultimate version. It is so much different from Windows. I don't know much about it. I got it to learn the system but have been learning to much with windows. I have always wodered how to delete that dual boot after reformatting. Hope there is a way

I havent tried it, but I imagine that I can do it either thru windows or with a third party software like Partition Magic. I just wonderin if anybody else here may have already tried it before as its not FAT or NTFS like Windows.

Yes I like Ubuntu very much. It looks nice, offers a lot of stuff with it and is pretty easy to configure compared to many others.

OK, I am not sure if you found your answer or not but if your are trying to eliminate Ubuntu from the boot option after you uninstalled/reformatted go into the boot.ini and delete the section for Ubuntu. Also you can rename the boot name. ex. Windows Xp you can just change that and put in MY XP etc. Not sure if that answers your question.

89994150wz9.jpg

Thanks LUZR4LIFE. I havent tried uninstalling yet but there appears to be no mention of Ubuntu in the boot.ini which sort of makes sense as windows doesnt recognize Ext3.

Guess I just have to fix the mbr because of the GRUB (Linux boot loader).

Edited by janice

It's been a while since I have played around with any Linux distro. Your best bet is to search on google. I honestly can't remember what file to edit hehe

Although, I think there is an edit right in the GRUB boot loader.

It's been a while since I have played around with any Linux distro. Your best bet is to search on google. I honestly can't remember what file to edit hehe

Although, I think there is an edit right in the GRUB boot loader.

Thanks. Searching now.

I havent done anything to the boot loader yet but Im now getting a ...

"Grub loading please wait" then ...

"Error 17"

... where it usually shows me the boot menu with the dual boot options.

What is this error about?

I deleted the ubuntu partition, rebooted to the recovery console but now it is asking for the administrator password! Ive never entered a password when installing windows. I've always left that space blank during the install.

HELP!

Thanks for the reply cygnus. I should have mentioned that I already tried that.

I was going to try fixmbr and fixboot in the recovery console. But I guess thats out. Then I tried to do a 2nd option repair install but it boots from the hdd after it loads windows and looks for the Grub loader again. :crying_anim02:

Edited by janice