TUTORIAL: Transform Windows XP into Windows Vista

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I do have one question, though. Do you think future Windows updates could mess this up somehow?

Thanks,

~Dave

hum ... I think XPSP3 will be the last major update released by Microsoft as it is trying to retire XP as possible to let people move toward VISTA.

SP3 including major update for the core kernel for windows which really will make a lot of changes for such editing (I mean if you did the edit then install something like SP3) but so far I think the answer for your question is NO.

Hope this help

With the BricoPack Vista Inspirat Ultimate 2, I notice the hdd icons in My Computer do not have the drive status bars. Is there a way to add this without messing up the new shell? Keep it simple please.

~Dave

^^ You can use "Vista Drive Status" utility to show the progressbar under HDD icons. Pls look at Point 4 in "Now a few more tricks:" section at last of the tutorial.

Works good.

Thanks very much,

~Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Just a comment on the Vista Drive Status utility. I installed the BricoPack Vista Inspirat Ultimate 2. Then I ran the Vista Drive Status utility which produced the status bars. Recently an XP update removed the status bars and put the Vista Drive Icons back. I re-ran the Drive Status utility, and it produced generic windows icons. Not a picture of a drive, but a sheet of paper-like icons. I was able to get drive icons back with the uninstall.cmd Just for your info.

Thanks,

~Dave

• 3 months later...

Hello!

I just want to say hello to everyone here. I'm very glad that I stumbled upon this site. It is very informative.

This would be my first post since I only joined this forum today. So please allow me to post a question asking for your help that hopefully will ease my mind and possibly relieve my frustrations. I have very limited knowledge of how computer works. So please excuse my ignorance.

O.K...I will try my best to make it as clear as I can.

* Version 2002

* Computer: Intel Pentium Dual CPU

* 12370 1.73GHz

* 794 MHz 0.99GB of RAM

This is where I need help. I downloaded the Vista SP1 Sidebar v6.0.6001.16549 to my XP. However , when I was asked for the location to save & extract the file, I selected the desktop since it was a .RAR file. Everything went smoothly until I decided to delete it, for it slows the Startup down quite a bit. So I deleted it through the Control Panel>Add/Remove Program, Program Files, Temp File, & on the desktop itself but to no avail. Everytime I restart my computer, all of the extracted files reappear on my desktop regardless of how many times I delete them. Please advise me of what I should do next, maybe try the regedit route? I hope not. I'm very frustrated and in desperate need of any help from the members of this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Hello!

I just want to say hello to everyone here. I'm very glad that I stumbled upon this site. It is very informative.

This would be my first post since I only joined this forum today. So please allow me to post a question asking for your help that hopefully will ease my mind and possibly relieve my frustrations. I have very limited knowledge of how computer works. So please excuse my ignorance.

O.K...I will try my best to make it as clear as I can.

* Version 2002

* Computer: Intel Pentium Dual CPU

* 12370 1.73GHz

* 794 MHz 0.99GB of RAM

This is where I need help. I downloaded the Vista SP1 Sidebar v6.0.6001.16549 to my XP. However , when I was asked for the location to save & extract the file, I selected the desktop since it was a .RAR file. Everything went smoothly until I decided to delete it, for it slows the Startup down quite a bit. So I deleted it through the Control Panel>Add/Remove Program, Program Files, Temp File, & on the desktop itself but to no avail. Everytime I restart my computer, all of the extracted files reappear on my desktop regardless of how many times I delete them. Please advise me of what I should do next, maybe try the regedit route? I hope not. I'm very frustrated and in desperate need of any help from the members of this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

you should try this addon

Here

and install it

it would do all the job for you

i hope i helped

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...