Windows Media Center Edition 2005 Desktop Installer Build: V.1

orbit30

nice upload but i would have you change a few things...(to automize the whole process) ure 2 reg entries to modify, why not make a reg file?and export it, and while ure writing reg entries,why not add 'Rollup2.Orbit30.exe'to runonceex, so after reboot the user dosent have to do anything as the installer would be called by the privious runoncex reg entrie.

oh and by the way ure installerS is in the wrong section.

Edited by bober

Thanks, this is my first build of this installer (it will get better with time), i will add runonce in next version for rollup2, the reg files are added, i tested in w2003 and xp home edition and the reg entries installed fine with the installer while still in windows, if xp pro installed reg value is not "1" in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\MediaCenter) then the installed value needs to be set using PE or Dual Boot.

What section should this be in?

Edited by orbit30

well its not completely silent so its not a switchless installer,and its need user intervention...and no entries.ini so u cnaot integrate...soo i dunno where it belongs but its surly is not a true addon.try posting in the svcpack addon/with the "tool' tag or soemthing or here http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showforum=8

Edited by bober

Moved to what I think its a correct place

BTW this looks promising, hope to try it sometime.

Off Topic: I tried to do the same (convert XP to MCE) but when I changed the registry to media center I could not log back in, the error said something about my serial was not valid for a media center.

:thumbsup_anim: Orbit, I am a technology director for a school district, I have a dozen or so machines that came with MCE. your work is saving me oodles of time. I just found the project friday and spent the weekend reading and playing, yesterday I built an XP\MCE "VLK" DVD that installs wonderfully. Thanks so much.

I have one little issue. when it first boots to the GUI I get and error about "c:\install.exe" is this something I did or have you seen this too?

Again thanks

Hey Orbit30, when you say boot up with PE, does that mean boot up with a boot disk, modify the registry, and install the Addon all at once? Or can I boot up with a boot disk, change the registry, restart my PC, THEN install MCE 2005?

I'm getting a "Media Center only works on Windows XP Media Center Edition" error using Windows XP Professional. any help?

Yes, I have a friend that got this working and I think I have the problem resolved. Firstly, you have to boot up with PE or a boot disk and change the registry key. Secondly, the Rollup2 update INCLUDED in the addon fails to install correctly so don't install that. Thirdly, go to Windows Update on MS website and check for MCE Updates.

Hey its me again, I have slipstreamed the add on into the December ISO from "eth0" , then I removed all non-english keyboard and language support and got the whole thing back on one cd. I have an issue, when I do the post install updates I can get all the updates for XP put only those updates that apply to rollup 1. I notice that the version being reported is "5.1.2700.2230" which is :

Version of Media Center provided by 'Update Rollup 1 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005' which contains various updates for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 such as HDTV (ATSC) support for users in the United States, and Teletext fixes for the UK. This update is recommended for all Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 customers. 3.1

Could you trigger -- 5.1.2710.2732

Major update to Media Center 2005, this year

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been looking into this thread a lot lately, really thinking of trying it. Now that I have a computer with a tuner card and remote, and its hooked up to a TV, I think it's worth a shot :)

Thanks for the post :)