What are the causes of HDD failure

LUZR4LIFE

OK, as most of you know I just had a 200g and a 320g go out. For a few days my system was quite, now I am starting to get a noise as I did before once and awhile. My HDD temps. are between 39 and 46c. I am not getting any warnings on boot yet. But want to prevent another one from going. I am just hoping that it is just my luck and its bad equipment.

I have two Seagate disks..One 320 and other 200 GB, Temperature is 32 degrees on my system disk (320 GB) and 30 degrees on my other disk (200GB), so I presume that's OK.

BTW, they're cooled by one big 12cm fan from the front of the Thermaltake Kandalf case..

HDTune can tell you a lot about your drives, including the SMART status.

http://www.hdtune.com/

39 (102f) is a bit warm, but nothing really bad, and 46 (114.8f) is getting a little warm depending on the drive. Currently, my primary computer's HDD is running at 29c (84f).

How old are your drive(s)?

OK

320g I just got a couple days ago, it was a replacement from the one that went bad. it is at 43c. I have it partitioned into 6 drives and 1 partition is what I have my OS on.

80g is a temp until I get my 200g and that one is over a year old replacement, that is at 37c.

320g is a little over 2 months old no partitions and it is at 45c.

I have 3 fans on my tower. It came wit 2 but I added 1 to keep it cooler. I removed the expantion card covers and set fan there. I have 2 fans blowing out air and 1 blowing in.

Do you think I need to investing in a colling system or a new case. My current one is a Apollo ATX Mid Tower

Edited by LUZR4LIFE

Well, if you can afford it then yes, if not you can only buy coolers.

OK, it looks expensive for liquid cooling. I have 3 fans already, so do you think that replacing the fans would work? If not I guess I would have to get a new case. Also what case would you recommend? I don't want to buy a new one that will not work. Thanks.

My WD 250gb runs at 34'c with just a simple PSU fan (mounted in front of the PSU and it pulls air through the front of the case to the back). I thought 34' was a bit warm, but after reading a lot of the temps other people get, its not surprising to me because of the work it does.

I'll see what my 2 500Gb drives show up as when I get them for Christmas :)

OK, my temp got to 50C so I shot down and took my system apart. I moved my side panel fan up to t he front next to the HDD's, hopefully that will keep them cool. Now I just have to get some cash to replace the side panel one.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

Who are your drive manufacturers? Both good and bad. I wouldn't mind finding out as I'm replacing one of my HDDs from bad sectors.

I had 2 Hitachi 320g, 1 went out. I got them both from a HP 8120n I gutted. HP overnighted a replacement for the 1 320g with a WD replacement.

The 200g that went out also is a WD. I have to get the shipping money to get that replaced. Now the 320g that hasn't gone out, I have this showing on it which I do not know what it means.

DriveTune.jpg

I found out that my issue was that my harddrivers were over heating and that was what caused them to go. I re modded my case and now my temps stay under 35C.

One of my replacements just arrived. 160GB 7200RPM Hitachi SATA2 drive. They told me it was going to be a Seagate, so I called and told them and they simply apologized. After giving them some grief they told me as per customer satisfaction, I will be getting a replacement hard drive made by Seagate.

One of my replacements just arrived. 160GB 7200RPM Hitachi SATA2 drive. They told me it was going to be a Seagate, so I called and told them and they simply apologized. After giving them some grief they told me as per customer satisfaction, I will be getting a replacement hard drive made by Seagate.

Is SeaGate the best to get?

Just an FYI, I've got 2 WD drives that are at least 3 or 4 years old. One is a 160 and one is a 200 gig which were pretty huge at the time. The 200 is on this machine with no front cooling on it and it's a pretty steady 31(ish) degrees C.