What are the causes of HDD failure

LUZR4LIFE

It's hard to say which is better. I've sold all kinds and mostly they are all pretty good (Maxtor, WD, Seagate). The only brand I've consistantly had problems with is Hitachi. Every brand has a bad apple once in a while. If you are repeatedly burning out drives, it's most likely beyond luck. Google did a study of hd's on their servers and they claim the temperature did not affect the lifespan. I don't buy it but who knows. Possibly a bad power supply giving it inconsistant power or even power surges. Brownouts are really bad. Surge strips don't stand a chance against them.

It's hard to say which is better. I've sold all kinds and mostly they are all pretty good (Maxtor, WD, Seagate). The only brand I've consistantly had problems with is Hitachi. Every brand has a bad apple once in a while. If you are repeatedly burning out drives, it's most likely beyond luck. Google did a study of hd's on their servers and they claim the temperature did not affect the lifespan. I don't buy it but who knows. Possibly a bad power supply giving it inconsistant power or even power surges. Brownouts are really bad. Surge strips don't stand a chance against them.

Thanks for the info.

Have a link, by chance?

In all of my experiences, Seagate is the best (topped with a 5 year warranty!)

What are you wanting a link to? The google study? I don't have one. I saw it on Neowin I think or maybe CNet about 6 months ago. Oh yea I never said seagate wasn't good (forgot to mention they bought out Maxtor quite a while back for any Maxtor fans out there), I was just saying that I don't build with one brand exclusively and I barely ever need to warranty a drive. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I just got both of my 500Gb Western Digital HDD's setup in my computer. Bothe have been running for about 10 hours now, and are running at 29'c (the one on the bottom of the case) and 34'c (this one is mounted under the DVD burner on special rubber grommet things to reduce vibration (both are done up like this)). I think that those are fairly respectable temperatures to be honest.

• 3 months later...