3D User Pic

diezil

Just been browsing around and found this cool little program :thumbsup_anim:

Description

In the old longhorn 4xxx days, the startmenu user picture was more animated as it was today. Today, we get a cheap alpha-fading effect when you hover over an item: the user picture simply blends with the icon for a while.

Back in the days, the user picture was actually rotating when you had the start menu opened. This application tries to achieve that effect.

Screenshot

3dpicv2.png

Video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bEUPmDVJTgA

What's new?

+ stabilized the thing (less crashes)

+ Now changes the icon also when you hover over other startmenu items!

+ some extra rendering settings

Todo

+ Cooler and more longhorn-esque animation DONE thx to bryant

+ Add support for the browse-pane (the pane you get when you start search-typing)

Known problems

+ some icons render with a smaller size. This is a limitation of the system and in my opinion a "bug". IImageList2::GetOriginalSize returns E_NOTIMPL, which means cannot get the original icon size since MS programmers did not implement that behaviour (yet). FIXED by Andreas with a workaround

Beware!

This application injects code into explorer.exe, hooks into the startmenu windows and also uses internal data-structures which may result in extra crashes. Therefore, usage is on own risk.

'I personally think dreamscene users might suffer...!'

Download

http://mpj.tomaatnet.nl/Ave3dUserPic.zip

Or download from here

Thanks Again to AndreasV :)

after_3d.jpg

If you experience problems try installing this.

USE AT OWN RISK as siad in the original message, but it works fine for me iv even added it to my startup :icon_cool:

Looks cool, but I'm a bit worried with the "use at your own risk" part :sweatingbullets:

I was a little put off by that at first but decided to try it since I'm still messing with Vista and dont really mind if i need to reinstall it, but if I'm honest I'm quite impressed by the application and have had no problems as of yet, the only thing i noticed was that when i first boot up my machine i have no user pic for a few moments until the program loads in which is to be expected.

I dont think its XP compatible.