Looking for a program..

Mr.Thunderbird

Yeah, that guy is a true guru at that point :D

Introduction to MapKeyboard

MapKeyboard is a free program to remap your keyboard. Using MapKeyboard, you can alter any key on your keyboard to function as a different one or altogether disable it as well. This is an essential tool for laptop users and other people with keyboards whose keys differ from the standard 101 keyboard layout. The changes made are universal across all applications & games and best of all, MapKeyboard does not even need to be actively loaded in memory.

Note: MapKeyboard is not a hotkey program, if you need to assign actions to single or multiple keys, consider using Hotkeycontrol.

Key features

* Officially supports Windows Vista

* Changes are made at a low level so that they take effect in all programs and 3D games

* This remapper does not need to be loaded in memory all the time

* Supports disabling of keys rather than remapping them

MapKeyboard.gif

homepagebb.png

downloadbb.png 30 kb

• 4 months later...

Well.. Since this is about keys, I won't make a new topic.

SOMETIMES when I'm on my laptop, and posting/writing stuff, it somehow "holds the ctrl button"!

I mean, example: I had just finished making a post on a forum, made the "=)" smiley, and posted.

After it posted, I couldn't write anything (well, if i hit "S" in firefox (even if the focus was on the adress bar) it would open the "save as.." dialog), it just said a lot of error sounds (system sounds, when you do something wrong etc.), and when i tried to write numbers, it wrote the symbols.. I mean it wrote "$" when I was hitting "4" (DK layout keyboard, for writing "$" I must hold down "ALT-GR+4", this is pretty weird, as before it seemed like it hold my CTRL button.

This is getting pretty annoying as it happens in some critical times when I really need to use the keyboard. (Once I was writing a .doc, and then it hold some button and it made "Select all+delete", and I couldn't redo since it just made a system sound when I pressed "CTRL+Z".)

Thanks in advance!

Mr. Thunderbird. =)

• 4 months later...

I know another utility that can do the same but looks a bit better :P

Qliner hotkeys 2.01

hotkeys.png

Qliner hotkeys is a free and open source keyboard productivity environment. It is the first product of its kind that is usable by computer geeks and non geeks alike.

Hotkeys builds on the concept of Windows shortcut keys but takes this concept to a whole new level. Do you think key combinations are hard to remember? Just hold the Windows key for three seconds and up pops a on screen Keyboard with icons on the keys that are configured. This you can use , not only to remind you of hotkey combinations, but also for Drag and Drop Configuration.

Smart application launching and switching

Hotkeys is smart in the way it launches applications and opens documents. When a key combination is pressed hotkeys will first try to find an existing instance of the requested application or document and bring that to the front. This behaviour can be overruled by holding the Alt key, which ensures that a new instance is allways launched. If no existing instances are found a new instance is started. If multiple instances are running the Instance Switching menu is displayed.

Drag and drop configuration

Holding the Windows key for several seconds, or pressing Win + Z shows the on screen keyboard. It is an easy tool to look up existing key combinations. The keyboard is also used for drag and drop configuration: you can drag the icons on the keyboard to different keys or drag new items onto the keyboard.

The keyboard is highly configurable. You can change the color and layout to make it match your actual, physical keyboard. Besides support for more than 100 international keyboards layouts, hotkeys also supports Dvorak layout.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...