Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

thealexweb

I have installed the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor on my PC which is currently running Windows XP. When I open the programme and it works fine until I ask it to do a Scan of my computer and a message comes up saying there is a problem. I followed the advice it gives me, I have tried uninstalling it, reinstalling and rebooting all of which have done no good. Can someone tell me whats wrong.

WindowsVistaUpgradeAdvisor.jpg

Did you mess with the system files (customization)?

Apparently that's a problem that could be caused by AV software. It's recommended to uninstall the AV software to run upgrade advisor, 'cause not all AV software is really disabled when you disable it..

It could also be an internet connection issue. Microsoft is collecting information about VUA results and no connection to internet could also break the advisor process.

BTW, do you maybe use SoundTaxi application?

I didn't mess with the system files and even when I uninstalled both my Anti-Virus and my Firewall it still didn't work. I have a good reliable internet connection so I don't think that's the problem.

Edit: No I don't use SoundTaxi.

Edited by thealexweb

I didn't mess with the system files and even when I uninstalled both my Anti-Virus and my Firewall it still didn't work. I have a good reliable internet connection so I don't think that's the problem.

Edit: No I don't use SoundTaxi.

Well then, I can't recommend anything else than to post your PC components here so members using Vista, including me can tell you if you're ready to upgrade..

Just after installing my Anti-Virus and my Firewall I was about to give up when I decided to try one last time and IT WORKED. It says my computer can run Windows Vista, it recommended Business but I only want Home Basic.

I was happy my computer could run Windows Vista but a bit disappointed that some of my hardware would need to be upgraded, see below.

My Hardware

WVUA1.jpg

WVUA2a.jpg

WVUA2b.jpg

My Software

WVUA3.jpg

Do you think I can really run Vista?

Check the manufacturers website for Vista drivers on those devices that apparently won't work with Vista.

For example, on my old PC, several components didn't work with Vista. Today, drivers are updated for every hardware component I had on it. Not to mention my new PC which was automatically updated from the internet. :icon_cool:

Upgrade advisor probably connects to internet, but I'm sure that it's not checking the compatibility online, in real time, since that's an old app which is using it's DB.

If you really wan't to use Vista, I'm sure you'll find drivers for all of your devices..

CYA