Upgrading CPU

Mr.Thunderbird

Hello WinCert folks! :D

Once again, I'm thinking about upgrading my old laptop..

I found this old link in my bookmarks, where I asked a man (who sells rams and stuff for laptops), if I could upgrade something else than just RAM.

Well, his answer was;

You cannot upgrade GPU (probably because it's integrated with the MBO), but you CAN replace your current processor with another one, max 2.1Ghz (Again, MBO limit?)

So I've been thinking about it, it's not THAT expensive, and I want some faster speed on my laptop.

So I know that you guys here are good at this, so I have some questions.

Well, I've asked on another "forum" about it, the guys said "Who needs an upgrade to 2.1Ghz", why don't you put Dual Core?

Well, then I though about it..

Is that possible?, I have 479 Socket, And I've found a dual core proccessor on the net which I might buy.

Is it hard?, I mean, don't say "Go to a shop", or "it's complicated you will brick your laptop"...

I WANT to do this guys, so seriously, is it hard? (btw; I have a friend who has built own Desktop PC, and he know some stuff about CPU exchange)

I HAVE taken my laptop apart down to my MBO before, so the "taking apart" part, should NOT be a problem... its more about mounting and dis-mounting.. :)

MANY thanks In advance, I really hope that you guys can help me! :) :thumbsup_anim: :icon_cool:

Sorry but I am not clear on what your asking. I think you are asking if it is hard to replace/upgrade a CPU. No, it's actually easy. I have built around 200 desktops, that includes removing the heat sink, CPU, etc.

You just need to make sure you have to correct CPU for your mobo and pay attention to how you remove it. From my experience, all CPU have a little mark in the corner of them, you just have to make sure when you install the new CPU, that you put the mark in the same spot it was on the mobo.

I hope this answers your question.

Ya know I did just that (XP 64bit) just 2 days ago.

Man it was nasty. Seemed alot slower than regular XP and wasn't customizable at all. Plus there was alot of wasted space time and resources with the 32 bit subsystem stuff they have in it. (Just to keep compatability with everything out there) Didn't work out well. If you got the time and the need you can get a trial of XP 64 bit and try for yourself but as my 2 cents go its in the trash bin of my mind now :D...

I really have disliked vista but after getting this rig and trying a pre-integrated version of SP1 (I have an MSDN account) it seems like SP1 just MIGHT make vista worth it. So I would wait untill you can get SP1 final preintegrated disks for retail untill you go for vista.

Ya know I did just that (XP 64bit) just 2 days ago.

Man it was nasty. Seemed alot slower than regular XP and wasn't customizable at all. Plus there was alot of wasted space time and resources with the 32 bit subsystem stuff they have in it. (Just to keep compatability with everything out there) Didn't work out well. If you got the time and the need you can get a trial of XP 64 bit and try for yourself but as my 2 cents go its in the trash bin of my mind now :D...

I really have disliked vista but after getting this rig and trying a pre-integrated version of SP1 (I have an MSDN account) it seems like SP1 just MIGHT make vista worth it. So I would wait untill you can get SP1 final preintegrated disks for retail untill you go for vista.

YOU DITCHED 64-BIT XP???? :crying_anim02: lets see, where to start...

my laptop has a T7500 dual core processor and 4 gigs of RAM. i decided to switch to 64-bit xp because 32-bit xp can only detect up to like 3.5 gigs of RAM. also, a 64-bit OS is significantly faster with audio/video encoding tasks. which is good since i do a lot of...ripping dvd's and encoding them to my zune :icon_cool:

and...wasted space? after using nlite to fully update my XP x64 disk (all updates, WMP11, IE7, nlite tweaks and removals), my disk is barely above 400mb. the only "wasted" space ive noticed is that theres a sysem32 folder and SysWOW64 folder (sepatates the 32 and 64-bit system files). i turn off my paging file, disable unnecessary processes, and watch windows FLY. then theres the fact that most windows-based security threats do absolutely nothing on x64, since all the important system files are 64-bit.

btw, customizing windows resources is a pain, but it can be done. google "restorator 2007".

Don't worry too much mate, my laptop is the same Core speed as yours, except its a Celeron M, same FSB, and stuff, but the cache is only 1mb. I'm very happy with this little laptop. The battery life probably isn't what it could be if I had a Pentium M with speedstep or even the Dual core chips, but meh

It doesn't surprise me that it won't work to be honest, I've never really heard that much good luck with upgrading the CPU in a laptop. Ram and HDD are about all I know of that can easily be upgraded (and optical disk drives).

Anyway, just look at what you got right now anyway, I'm sure it'll tide you over till you can get a Dual Core laptop :)

Good luck in saving money mate! I know its hard!

• 2 months later...

Alright guys, I'm back again... With a new question...

I'm pretty sure that the answer is, but I want to be 100% sure, and I knew that this was the right place to post... :)

I've found a laptop... A good one, which fulfills my needs, and which doesn't take too much of my money...

Specs:

14,1" WXGA+ 1440x900 - 6324W

Intel

Swwweeeett!

That's a monster mate!!

I think that I never heard of a laptop that is specifically made for Vista and ONLY Vista. This information is really something new and TBH I don't believe in this. IMO, you'll be able to install XP x86 or x64 without any problems.

With Windows XP or Vista x86 you'll be able to use up to 3 Gigs only, but I heard somewhere that it's possible to utilize more than 3, should google about that..

You should easily boot all OS's that you've mentioned, just like you'll be able to use virtual machines with ease with that amount of RAM in the box :)

Yeah! That's a real monster! :)

Many thanks for your answers mate! :)

What about the Cache? I forgot the L2 cache size, but as far as I remember, its 2 or 3 MB (CPU), and as I've read, XP doesn't support a high L2 cache? Maybe that's the reason why they wrote (2,4Ghz ONLY for Vista), because XP can't use all of it? :)

Edited by Mr.Thunderbird