re: those who cannot uninstall sidebar

pip22

Rick, those guys having trouble uninstalling the Sidebar using "Add/Remove Programs". I get an error also (missing file) but I read somewhere that method doesn't work (only the 'Change' button works) so I no longer worry about it, I was just testing to see if I had same problem as other users. In any case, I created a disk image with no sidebar installed so that won't be a problem for me.

I saw on this forum a link to an "uninstall.inf" file which I've downloaded. You use it to uninstall, (similar to the "inf" file you use to install the Sidebar with) --- am I right about this? My Sidebar is still installed and working fine so don't know if the "uninstall.inf" file works or not. Just thought I ought to mention it for benefit of others who have trouble uninstalling.

First I exit the sidebar before invoking "Remove" in "Add and Remove Programs". The uninstaller appears to start, but then aborts with this message box (attached). Just in case the text is illegible in jpeg form, it reads:

"INF Install failure. Reason: The system cannot find the path specified"

FYI -- I installed the Sidebar using default location (if that's relevant).

Pip22

post-5770-1200245193_thumb.jpg

Can you be more specific on the missing file (I just uninstalled mine with no probs)

Some additional info to previous post. I just discovered after running the 'uninstall' which produces the error, the Sidebar no longer works (shortcut to start it is invalid etc), so it appears to begin uninstalling (enough to "break" the sidebar) but aborts and leaves a lot of files behind. Had to re-install to get sidebar back -- no big deal it works fine again.

Edited by pip22

I think I know why, you are using this on a non english XP correct?

If you are you can get rid of this error by editing/removing this UpdateInis line in the [uninstall] section of the INF:

; Uninstall instructions

[unInstall]

BeginPrompt =BeginUnInsPrompt

RunPreSetupCommands =Close.Sidebar:1,Un.Register.Sidebar

DelFiles =Sidebar.Files,Sidebar.enUS,PNF.File

DelReg =Obsolete.Reg

ProfileItems =Accessories.DelShortcut,QuickLauch.DelShortcut,DefUserProfile.DelShortcut,Syste

mProfile.DelShortcut

UpdateInis =sysoc.Edit,Localized.Shortcuts ;<-Remove this line

RunPostSetupCommands=Run.Prompt,Sidebar.Directory

EndPrompt =EndUnInsPrompt

Cleanup =1

I think I know why, you are using this on a non english XP correct?

If you are you can get rid of this error by editing/removing this UpdateInis line in the [uninstall] section of the INF:

Sorry for late reply. No -- my XP is the English version.

And to bober: sidebar.inf is already in the Windows/inf folder.

As of now I don't want to uninstall it, but I can confirm that the 'Add and Remove Programs' method doesn't work for me. Error message pops up as per screenshot in earlier post above.

Edited by pip22