Microsoft security patch for sidebar - Vista only!

pip22

Hey, rick -- seems you have a bucketload of probs to deal with on this page alone, so first off I want to say mine is working fine on XP Home SP2. Reason for post? -- I've just learned MS has posted a security patch on it's website to 'block' any bad gadgets which contain malicious code - but the patch (needless to say) won't install on XP because, for one thing, the file is in the new "MSU" format (for Vista) which XP doesn't recognise.

KB943411: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943411

Just thought I should mention this development for all who are running the gadgets on XP -- and do we need to worry about it?

Or would 'Vista-targetted' malicious code not run on XP anyway? Presumably if the gadget runs on XP, the malicious code within it would run too? Microsoft have stated they are not aware of any such gadgets yet, but it can only be a matter of time before those pesky script-kiddies take advantage of a new opening.

Edited by pip22

1st, ure post isint an addon..lol so next time find the approprite section to post,

2nd KB943411 is for Windows Vista.ricks side bar is for alky ,a prog to emulate vista new fonctionality in xp.

Right, my post isn't an add-on, but it concern's an add-on so where am I supposed to put posts concerning an add-on if not in the add-on thread it applies to?

And your second comment -- I fully understand what Rick's sidebar is, I've been using PCs for 15 years my friend. My point was that if gadgets can run on XP now (unofficially of course), we'll probably need to be concerned about the malicious ones just like Vista users have been warned about.

If you don't care about bringing it to the attention of other members, well that's your affair.

I'm off to friendlier pastures. See ya (or maybe not).

1-u could have posted under the sidebar addon(most logical place)

2-malicious code will be aiming vista systems,dunno if xp users will be affected(who cares just dotn install crapy gadgets form unknown sources)

3-since when does 15 years of experiance have to do with anything?dosent make u post in the right places,and u seem to be easyly offended...usually those things are lerned over the years.

4-my 1st post wasint mean nor to offend you,u took it like u did and now im replying in the same way,sucks huh.