Windows Vista Experience Index

thealexweb

I don't think that Vista rating is a real index of your machine performance. For instance I have a Corsair DHX XMS2 DDR2 Dual Channel at 800MHz and by Vista rating this memory has the lowest score of all my components :)

Your laptop is a real beast and I wouldn't worry about some Vista rating..

I don't think that Vista rating is a real index of your machine performance. For instance I have a Corsair DHX XMS2 DDR2 Dual Channel at 800MHz and by Vista rating this memory has the lowest score of all my components :)

Your laptop is a real beast and I wouldn't worry about some Vista rating..

First of the image is just something I made in paint to show what I thought. Second I bought this laptop for

If your worried about Vista's performance on that PC, you shouldn't be. My Toshiba Satellite A100 runs Vista pretty well, and its only a Celeron processor. So you can imagine :P

I think your ram will score around 5.5 or so, it may be lower, may be higher. The processor I can see being in the 5's, the Video I wouldn't expect too much from, maybe a 4 at tops, the HDD may get around a 5.0 because of the RPM.

All in all though, I think thats a damn good laptop for the money mate, good choice :)

Post a screeny when you get it :P

• 8 months later...
Maybe 5.9 is.. But that's not what Vista devs had planned in the beginning.

The images from "6.0.. 6.1.. up to 9.8.. 9.9.." are actually made.

*The picture is not photoshopped or modified in any way. Only the index has been modified trough a file.

When did this change? Didn't know that..

I thought that 5.9 is the limit, and it probably was when Vista is released. Now you have 9.9 index, so that has probably changed at some point, right?

ahh, well I have to admit that I don't knew about that, and I'm not sure whether the limit still is 5.9 or not.

On the other hand, why would M$ design the 9.9 and etc.. "images" when 5.9 is the limit?

ahh, well I have to admit that I don't knew about that, and I'm not sure whether the limit still is 5.9 or not.

On the other hand, why would M$ design the 9.9 and etc.. "images" when 5.9 is the limit?

Don't know mate, I'm totally confused now :D

I've just found this on Windows Vista Blog

This document describes the Windows Experience Index (WEI) Model, what it is useful for, how the scores are computed, and how consumers can use it.

The Scale of the Index

The scale of the Windows Experience Index ranges from 1 to 5.9. The higher the score for a particular component area, the better experience you can expect from that area.

Base Score Level

1.0 – 1.9

Basic performance. Productivity applications, IM, web, email, simple games - like Solitaire, educational games.

Minimum specification needed to run Windows Vista™.

2.0 – 2.9

Improved responsiveness. Same applications as a base score of 1.0 – 1.9.

PCs will run Windows Vista but in most cases will not be Aero capable.

3.0-3.9

Aero graphics, Media Center with standard definition TV, basic graphical games, basic performance while running high-end graphical games.

Minimum specification needed to run Windows Vista Premium features, including the new Aero user interface.

4.0 – 4.9

Snappy performance, high definition video, high resolution monitors, dual monitors.

Very good performing PCs.

5.0 – 5.9

Fast moving games with amazingly rich graphics, 3D modeling, high-end multimedia and high performance applications.

Top end of the PC market for the Vista time frame.

Base scores of 6.0 and higher are not defined yet. They will be defined when the time comes and new innovations in hardware allow new capabilities. From past experience, it is expected this will happen at a rate of once every 12-18 months.

This post was made in 2006, so it is possible that Microsoft has raised their Vista index, although I don't know why do I have "only" 5.9 index for my machine..

Source..