NEC and Hitachi roll out water-cooled hard drives

LUZR4LIFE

nec_hitachi-1.jpg

Modders, you'd better watch your backs, because NEC and Hitachi are creeping up from the backside with some funky-fresh new hard drive cooling technology that will make you feel embarrassed and / or insignificant. The two Japanese powerhouses have developed a technology which knocks down the temperature of standard hard drives using a water-cooled plating, and also reduces noise levels of the storage devices to five decibels quieter than a whisper. The new technique employs noise absorbing, heat conducting plates which surround the drive, and a low-speed radiator fan to keep air moving. The companies say that the material used for the housing is the most efficient ever for conduction of heat, and that the drives are cooled more quickly and with less power. PCs will soon be made available with the drives (at least in Japan) for around

4 right now too have had 6 before though..

I am at 2 320g, 1 80g and 1 200g.

I am a little pissed though, I just got my 200g replacement from WD and it runs higher then all my other HDD's by at least 8-10C which causes all the others to get higher. They are at around 42-44C now and that is with a fan next to it. It sometimes gets up to 50C.

Edited by LUZR4LIFE

Yeah, this one is at the bottom. It just got up to 56C. Now before I put this one in my temps would get no higher than 34. I have 3 fans in my case now so it stays pretty cool. I just got off the phone with WD and they are sending me another one. One of the people I spoke with said that it's normal to run at 55C. LMAO. I got it down to 38 now, luckily it's winter here so I can open my window and turn my room into a deep freezer. LOL

why is 90% of everything on this site irrelevant to me? oh, thats right...64-bit XP on a laptop :sweatingbullets:

LMAO runningfool, sorry. I was thinking about checking out 64 bit, but not sure yet. I did make the mistake of using Vista Ultimate 3 time so trying 64 bit shouldn't bee so bad. LOL

55c WOW thats pretty high. But hey some of my drives had run higher than that for a long while before I found HDTune...

I use that and HDD Them. I like HDD Therm. it display your HDD temps and also has a Warning and Critical Alarm on it (which you can set, I have warning at 50 and Critical at 55). Which mine went off before I opened the window.

Hmmm, my 500gb's run at about 30'c with no tweaking or anything. The one in my torrent pc runs at 29'c and it's been running for a while now.

Yeah, my HDD's haven't gotten higher than 34C since I moded my case until I got this replacement from WD. It would be nice to have 4 of these Water Coolers. LOL

Thats cause there new SATA drives and ok you suck :P j/k

Not sure what you mean? LOL