B.I.T.S. refuses to start

runningfool

seems i cant seem to escape from these weird PC problems...

so a friend of mine and i were almost done reinstalling windows xp on his laptop. the only things left to do were to get a few drivers so his sound/ethernet/SD card reader would work. we couldnt find the drivers on the manufacturer's website (only because he INSISTED i install 64-bit xp). so i tried MS update. sure enough the drivers were there, but the downloads never started. the Background Intelligent Transfer Service was set to manual, but would not start.

this is a clean install of windows we're working with, and theres no reason BITS shouldnt be able to start...all dependencies are running, all necessary dll's registered. so would anyone know how i can forcibly start BITS (even though it has refused so far), or even better, suggest a site that might have the elusive 64-bit xp drivers we are looking for?

Try to run this in your command prompt..

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 softpub.dll

regsvr32 wintrust.dll

regsvr32 initpki.dll

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

BTW, are you using Symantec Anti-Virus?

Also, please check the event log and tell me what the system is complaining about - not being able to start BITS, so I can investigate....

...found an old article buried on keznews:

1. Click Start, click Run, type Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qmgr.dll, and then click OK.

2. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qmgrprxy.dll, and then click OK.

3. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

4. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

5. In the General tab, click Start.

btw, symantec wasnt installed, and the only thing on event log was a few errors concerning DCOM...no big deal. anyway, thanks for your help again N1K :)

Edited by runningfool

Have you tried running Dial-a-fix? It helps repair Windows Updates issues which includes BITS.

You can also try,

rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 C:\WINDOWS\inf\qmgr.inf

There is also the option of updating your BITS to 2.5 (it will be included in Service Pack 3).

we got it working, by re-registering qmgr.dll and qmgrprxy.dll. not a big deal, since he wanted windows updates completely shut off after everything worked again.

and Tarun, do you know of any other windows components that i could update? having 64-bit xp means i cant update to SP3...and i usually dont see or look for any hotfixes other than the ones released on patch tuesday...