I need help with wireless config.

LUZR4LIFE

Ok, I just built a PC for my mom. I got a wireless firewall router (TRENDnet TEW-432BRP). I have never used wireless before. I have her PC setup online, but I want to prevent others from accessing my connection and I also want to add my printer so she could print from it. Also, any info on what I need to know etc.

THANKS

OK. I have the printer setup now and also got it set to share folders from either computer. I am using NetworkMagic at the moment and only have a free trial for 7 days. Is there any other programs better than this???

I still need information on securing my Wi-Fi. Thank you.

I have in plan to write one bigger post on Wireless Security, but until then here are some tips on what I would do with this situation:

I don't know how you've decided for this particular router (http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/trendnet-tew-432brp-wireless/4505-3319_7-31515168.html), I'd go with Linksys since I have it and it's one of the best (http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/wireless-g-broadband-router/4505-3319_7-20796906.html?tag=prod.txt.4)

Setup your router to connect to internet on demand.

Enable router firewall if available.

Enable wireless connection.

Set up DHCP so clients can get IP addresses from your router.

Filter wireless connections with MAC Address filter on the router.

Enable WEP encryption at least, WPA would be recommended, since WEP is easy to crack especially if you use linux :)

If you've setup file and printer sharing than this is preety much it.

If I can help in any way just yell :)

I have in plan to write one bigger post on Wireless Security, but until then here are some tips on what I would do with this situation:

I don't know how you've decided for this particular router (http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/trendnet-tew-432brp-wireless/4505-3319_7-31515168.html), I'd go with Linksys since I have it and it's one of the best (http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/wireless-g-broadband-router/4505-3319_7-20796906.html?tag=prod.txt.4)

Setup your router to connect to internet on demand.

Enable router firewall if available.

Enable wireless connection.

Filter wireless connections with MAC Address filter on the router.

Enable WEP encryption at least, WPA would be recommended, since WEP is easy to crack especially if you use linux :)

If you've setup file and printer sharing than this is preety much it.

If I can help in any way just yell :)

Thanks N1K. The reason why I got that router was because it was 15.99 after mail in rebate, also got a wireless USB for 7.99. So far things are great (after trial and error, LOL). I am getting around 85-95% signal I can access shared drives etc.

I would like some help, it's been over a year since I set a network, IP addresses etc. I did around 30 computers in school, and that was wiring, patch panels etc.

I can't figure out how to enable router firewall. It says that its a wireless firewall, so not sure if I have to enable the feature. I don't know how to Enable WEP encryption etc.

I am not sure how to do this "Setup your router to connect to internet on demand."

I can access the inter net and the shared items from the other computer so I believe that wireless connection is enabled.

So if you could help, I would appreciate it. I have a topic with my IM if you want to add me for it. THANKS

Hmm, it would be easier to help you if you have a Linksys, then I could navigate you step by step.

Unfortunately since I never so this router admin panel I can't help you with it..

Have you got any manuals with it?

You can also check THIS page to get some useful info about that router.

Hmm, it would be easier to help you if you have a Linksys, then I could navigate you step by step.

Unfortunately since I never so this router admin panel I can't help you with it..

Have you got any manuals with it?

You can also check THIS page to get some useful info about that router.

NP, N1K. I have time to figure it out. Unfortunately, the only manual that came with it was instruction on installing the CD. LOL. I am sure I could figure it out, was just hoping to save time with some insight.

NP, N1K. I have time to figure it out. Unfortunately, the only manual that came with it was instruction on installing the CD. LOL. I am sure I could figure it out, was just hoping to save time with some insight.

I'd gladly help, but I'm afraid I'm unable to since I never saw that router :confused02:

I'd gladly help, but I'm afraid I'm unable to since I never saw that router :confused02:

Oh, NP. I understand, It's like asking a PC person something about Mac or Linux. The information you gave me looks good enough, I just have to see where it is on this router. Thanks, you are the only one out of 30+ views to help.