Trying to delete misplaced shortcuts crash explorer...

Rhor

Hi.

It's an old bug I have since the first days I started using nLite, but now that I'm on the final stages of my "perfect" XP CD installation project, I would like to solve it once and for all.

There's a shortcut on the desktop that leads nowhere, because the original destination was moved or deleted, and when I try to delete that shortcut, explorer crashes, simply as that.

Please, let me know about any ideas you might have, below are the last nLite session I used.

Thank you in advance.

Last_Session.rar

How are you deleting the shortcut ?

It will not delete from your cleanup.cmd ?

I try to select the shortcut then I press delete on the keyboard.

A cmd script would do it, but I'm talking about when I'm using XP on the daily basis, not when XP is installing.

Any ideas please let me know.

Edited by Rhor

So let me get this right.

Say for example you have a shortcut on desktop which links to C:\Program Files\BLAH\BLAH.exe, then when BLAH.exe is deleted and you try to remove the shortcut you run into problems.. ?

Sorry I am just trying to understand your problem

So let me get this right.

Say for example you have a shortcut on desktop which links to C:\Program Files\BLAH\BLAH.exe, then when BLAH.exe is deleted and you try to remove the shortcut you run into problems.. ?

Sorry I am just trying to understand your problem

Yes, that's right.

I try to delete the shortcut on the desktop selecting it, and after I press delete on the keyboard, explorer crashes and restart itself.

Now, I know it's because of something I did with nLite, but I don't know what, or where on nLite.

When I test the same procedure in a no-nLited XP, the usual window trying to find the target of the shortcut appears, and explorer doesn't crash.

If you are more specific maybe we can find the file that adds the shortcut to your desktop so then we can edit it and not have the shortcut created in the 1st place

What program does this shortcut point to?

I'm talking about any shortcut in the system after XP is installed.

By example, I install Nero, then I manually create a shortcut on the desktop for Nero Express.

For any reason I uninstall Nero, but the shortcut remains on the desktop, now pointing to nowhere.

I try to delete that shortcut and explorer crashes.

Edited by Rhor

I found the cause of the malfunction. Its a program I use, ContextAware, wich is being installed during GuiRunOnce.

I anybody knows about this software, let me know, I'm sure there's a workaround for this problem.