ipod touch wifi issues

WhiteHat09

hey everyone, wasnt really sure where this fits so thats why im throwin it in General.

I recently bought an ipod touch and works well except when i try to connect to my home wifi. Im living on a university campus and am using a wrt54gl router with dd-wrt running. The issue is that the touch only likes to connect when Im using DHCP on the router, but the campus has a no router policy so i want to use the university DHCP server instead (essentially turning the router to a switch with wifi ability). Ive had this router longer than i have had the touch and Ive never had any issues with connectivity, my laptop and wii are fine. I can connect to the router with the touch and get a 132.177... IP but cant actually use any internet capabilities (I get the "cannot find server" warning when I try to use safari). Now Ive googled this plenty of times and the only solution I find is to use the local DHCP, so im asking if anyone knows how to get this to work without haveing my routers NAT enabled?

Any suggestions or solutions are welcome, thanks