WPI 6.4.1 release!

softpedia_clean_award_f.gif

Windows Post-Install Wizard (WPI for short) is a hypertext application designed for giving users choice. While Windows XP offers many ways of customizing the setup process out of the box, its major drawback is the lack of being able to select which applications an end user may install. In the past, end users and administrators needed to either download the files manually, or create overly complex scripts that could only be used once. WPI allows you to create one image, which can then be custom configured, and optionally, automated, so that end users can install any applications that have been configured into WPI.

New Windows Style Theme:

th_04424_Windows_122_908lo.jpg

New Server Style Theme:

th_04425_Server_122_704lo.jpg

New Vista Style Theme:

th_59367_Untitled_1_122_572lo.jpg

Here is the 6.4 changelog:

v6.4.1 Updates - Released April 29th, 2008
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Added a Vista Based theme (optimized for 1024x768 Res)
* Found an errant old "Glossy" theme entry
* Fixed the %reboot% issue
* Lang updates on a handful of languages New lang entry to guys so we need more
updates. Please check the lang_en.js for the new section.

** Updates by t64user from MSFN.org (Thank you very much!) **

* Localize the Confirm Delete when user delete a program config in Config Wizard.
* Added stuff to secure user (Popup Boxes reminding you to save in the options
and config wizards)
* Category list fixes and modifications.
* Bug correction Enable All Gadgets in function Clone Entry
* Problem in Localization with Options Wizard
* Truncated window in Options wizard (Better scrolling handling now)

wpidl.png

Notes and Extras

Suggested disk folder layout:

th_72737_Untitled_1.jpg

With the above folder layout all your config entries should read like:

%wpipath%\Install\Blah.exe

I have seperated the tools out from the main archive. You can download the tools here:

Tools archive.

Contents of the tools archive:

WPI Config Lister

CDSwitch

MakeISO.exe

3 Custom themes for CDSwitch

autorun.inf <-- Updated and fixed

WPI.ico New icon thanks to WolfX2

TaskKillS.exe from sadicq

TaskKillS Instructions

Cleanup.exe (Deletes ALL icons from the desktop)

Reboot.exe (Dialog box that will reboot in 60 sec unless cancel is pressed)

Here is a quick start package that will set your windows disk up to use WPI after the desktop loads.

This is for use with all versions of Windows 2000, XP and 2003!

To make use of this archive all you need to do is unRAR it and place the %oem% folder beside the I386 and WPI folders.

Post $OEM$ Folder (The forum is messing up this link so copy www.wpiw.net/downloads/Post_$oem$.rar )

Contents of the Post %OEM% archive:

cmdlines.txt

RunWPI.inf

Here is a quick start package that will set your windows disk up to use WPI with runonceex.

This is for use with all versions of Windows 2000, XP and 2003!

To make use of this archive all you need to do is unRAR it and place the %oem% folder beside the I386 and WPI folders.

$OEM$ Folder (The forum is messing up this link so copy www.wpiw.net/downloads/$oem$.rar )

Contents of the %OEM% archive:

cmdlines.txt

RunWPI.exe (Sets the runonceex and MCE themeing entries used for WPI)

NEW!!!

An $OEM%\WPI folder that sets up your WPI for RunOnceEx with the official Zune Microsoft Theme!

$OEM$-Zune Folder (The forum is messing up this link so copy www.wpiw.net/downloads/$oem$-zune.rar )

Contents of the %OEM%-Zune archive:

cmdlines.txt

RunWPI_Zune.exe

Use is as the same as the one above...

This is for use with all versions of Windows Vista!

To make use of this archive all you need to do is unRAR it and place the Sources folder at the root of your CD.

Sources Folder.

Contents of the Sources archive:

setupcomplete.cmd (This needs to be several folders deep so I preset the folders for you)

1978 .png images for your pleasure to use in your tooltips or whatever!

PNG Collection.

Here is a small tutorial on how to add an app to WPI!

Ok this is a sample (Very simple) configuration for CCleaner (A.K.A Crap Cleaner)

This assumes you have all of the WPI files either in the WPI folder at the root of your Windows cd or all of the WPI folders (Common, Graphics, WPIScripts, Tools, Install and Themes) and the file WPI.hta at the root of your cd.

Remember this is just the most basic and required entries for a program!

#1 Download the app and place it in the WPI\Install Folder. (CCleaner.exe in this example)

#2 Run WPI.hta and click on the "Config" button\Icon area.

#3 Choose the button at the very top above the config section that says "Add"

#4 Enter in the name section "CCleaner" <--No quotes! Then click on any other section of the config area to activate the rest of the wizard.

#5 You will notice the Unique ID section gets automatically configured for you.

#6 All apps are selected to be installed by default right from the start so if you don't want it selected by default you must uncheck this box. Also you can decide if you want this app to be a "Forced Install" or not.

#7 Choose a category for your app to be displayed in. If you want the app to be displayed in a category you don?t see simply chose other and a box will appear that will allow the entry of you choice.

#8 In the Command 1 section click on the little folder icon and browse to the WPI\Install folder and select the CCleaner.exe installer, this will place the full path to the installer in the commandline.

#9 Add the necessary switches for the program to run silently i.e. "%wpipath%\Install\CCleaner.exe" /s (This can be easily done for most standard apps by simply clicking on the USSF button on the far right of the commandline.)

#10 Select the Save and then the Exit buttons and you have now configured your first app!

Afterwards you can use an app like nLite, vLite, CDImageGUI or the Makeiso program included in the tools archive to make your CD w\WPI bootable again. MakeIso.exe = Adds "make bootable iso" to the right click menu of folders. It is a silent installer so DO NOT click on it 50x a simple double click is all that is need to install it. It can be uninstalled from the add\remove programs menu! Just go to the "Source" folder (The one that contains I386 and WPI) and right click then select MakeISO...

th_04569_Guide_122_124lo.jpg

Themes are now hosted on WPI.net!!!

Please remember and donate!

Spank you very much

Off-Topic Comment(Click to Show)
I am learning how to use Autounattended.xml to launch mine :P

[Close]

EDIT: Kelso check this out

wpibugvm2.th.jpg

I know you say optimal for 1024x768 resolution, but what if one uses Autounattended.xml to set ones rez higher than that during install and after oobe?

Off-Topic Comment(Click to Show)
Love the Doc :o

[Close]

WOW - the new Vista-theme looks really cool!!! Is there really a Dock integrated? Can't wait to try it out myself later at home today...

I'm getting more and more familiar with WPI - it's a really usefull app for my nLite-DVD!

BTW, I've got one request: I really like the possibility to exclude some apps if a special app is checked to be installed (e.g. that you don't use two different firewalls or virus-scanners). But what I'm missing is a (mouse-over) tip that says which app(s) avoid this app from being checked!

It's because I'm not the only one using my nLited, WPIed XP-DVD :) I know which apps exclude themselves, because I built the DVD - my friends or family don't (and they will be asking me again and again...and again...and again :D)

I would really appreciate any comment on this!

Best regards

cool400

P.S. Not to bother you, Kel - but I saw that the "Free Download!"-picture in the top left corner of the WPI-homepage says "Windows Post-Insall Wizard v6.4" ;)

P.P.S. The new Vista-theme is awesome!!! I really like it - it's the best theme I ever saw! But it's not localized - I have english text on the buttons (I've got a German windows)...

Edited by cool400

The text on the buttons is actually PART of the images. Sorry but you'll have to edit the non-texted ones to match your language.

As for the tooltip that is what the description box and picture is for.

Could you tell me with which font and parameteres you made the text (and maybe with which app)?

Best regards

cool400