[Tool] FFaM v1.0.2.11

@bobdynlan: A couple of things. First, thank you for the feedback, but it's not the same old error, this is entirely new script. As mentioned in the changelog, this has only been tested on Win7 x64. I asked more than a month ago for some assistance in bug checking, I got no response. I will look into the error that you are getting when I get home.

Second, thank you.

Lucky it's only used for bookmarks. Without Include Bookmarks in Private Options I finally managed to create one simple build. I only have *.json in the bookmarkbackups subfolder, and no bookmark* in the root profile folder - that must be the cause as the error message was about file-not-found.

The default preset timed out waiting on some script - but this is plugin dependent i guess.

Default preset minus Editable Options + Plugins is the safe, working choice (after you fix the bookmarks thing). Maybe you should add another preset - Safe/Full.

Also the nice intro screen sometimes never goes away no matter what, maybe you should add a failsafe timeout after xx seconds. I'm thinking of doing one as well in batch :dancing:

Feedback served.

Edited by bobdynlan

That's an easy fix and I'll take of it when I get home. There is a timeout set at 15 seconds, also once it completes the div is removed from the document. There shouldn't be any reason why it remains behind.

The biggest problem, and the primary reason why I am not going to continue working on this script, is the fact that it progresses asynchronously and not synchronously. I am working on this in C# and there I can control whether it behaves asynchronously or synchronously.

Edited by Jonnyboy

There is a timeout set at 15 seconds, also once it completes the div is removed from the document. There shouldn't be any reason why it remains behind.
Somebody pointed out one and I've verified it! It goes like this: If you trow some clicks on it/outside of it. It might just loop there, grayed out. Quite a large user base would do that - you know, the people that obsessively or out of impatience, right-clicks the desktop and choose Refresh.

Well, until then, a 0.8 final featuring a safe preset would feed the hungry.

Edited by bobdynlan

I already provide a way to exit the splash screen. Simply press the escape key or left click - once - anywhere in the main window outside of the popup. You should allow the popup to fully open, before you force it to close.

I am not going to invest any more time to this hta, with one exception, I will fix the errors and remove the ability to left click and close the splash screen.

*EDIT*

I am not a programmer. Nearly every line of code was researched using numerous websites and literally hundreds of trials and error. This is a script, it is not perfect, accept its limitations. Don't expect a polished piece of software. This is the best that I was able to create and I do this for my education and my enjoyment.

~jonnyboy

Edited by Jonnyboy

@boddynlan: give this latest post a shot and let me know if you find anything else. As far as the splash screen goes, if the error still occurs, the only other thing that I can think of is to remove the left click event handler and just have the esc key as the only method to disable the splash screen.

...the only other thing that I can think of is to remove the left click event handler and just have the esc key as the only method to disable the splash screen.

I think this would be a good approach. Would still allow the function but have less chance of being accidentally tripped.

Cheers and Regards

Thumbs up!

Default preset works, and it's rather fast vs. old versions.

Forget about the splash screen, it locks less times now.

You should drop the beta from the name.

Several steps were removed, they were no longer needed. They had mainly to do with the old style of extensions and rdf files. I can't drop beta, yet. I have only received 5 responses and 1 still can not even open the hta. Still, something to fix.

I think this would be a good approach. Would still allow the function but have less chance of being accidentally tripped.

Cheers and Regards

If, I receive any more reports of this happening, it will be removed.

I have finished the UI for FFaM v.9b1. If you have a little free time, please download and try to make it throw an exception or error. I think everything works except creating the installer.

I am open to suggestions on improving the UI. It is written in C# and requires .Net 2.0 and as all .Net apps, it's a little slow to open.

Edited by Jonnyboy

• 4 weeks later...

a very nice program, I just miss the option to create an installer with the currently installed FF version!, unless i am missing it somewhere!

No, you are not missing anything. The option to build an installer from you current Firefox without downloading a Firefox Installer was removed. The main reason is because, the Firefox setup exe, makes several entries into the registry that define the version of itself, the uninstaller and of gecko. When you install Firefox, the installer is deleted and I could not keep up with all of the different versions of the installer. To install your version of Firefox properly requires that versions setup.exe or numerous registry modifications. That is something that I do not want to keep up with.

There are still at least 2 bugs that I am aware of. They affect the extensions not working properly after install and the shortcuts not being created in the proper location.

As soon as I have finished my current class, I will work on fixing those 2 bugs and maybe finish 0.9. If time permits, I will. So very few people even use this anymore, I'm to keep it as simple as possible and as close to zero maintenance, except for web path changes.

~jonnyboy

Hello JonnyBoy. I used FFaM 0.8b5 and I tried to make a addon of Firefox 8.0 (Spanish) + Flash Player 11.0. but allways it make a Firefox 8.0 (English) + FP 10.3 addon. I don't know what is wrong..

The version 9b1 is very cool and works ok. But It doesn't creat the installer :(

Can you help me?

Hello JonnyBoy. I used FFaM 0.8b5 and I tried to make a addon of Firefox 8.0 (Spanish) + Flash Player 11.0. but allways it make a Firefox 8.0 (English) + FP 10.3 addon. I don't know what is wrong..

The version 9b1 is very cool and works ok. But It doesn't creat the installer :(

Can you help me?

Version 0.9b1 can't create the installer, because the code has not been written.

When I finish my current class, I will will look into the it. I don't know why it is not downloading the the current flash player. Also, with the new x64 flash player, I may need to remove it altogether or maybe include both versions in the installer. Will take a little time, but I will figure it out.

Thank you

• 3 months later...

Hello all!!

Long time, no here. I finally finished with my classes and had a little time to work on this the last couple of days. I know, it was supposed to be done before Christmas. Sorry, this was the best that I could do.

I am posting the current file on my dropbox sourceforge. Be warned, it is not 100% done, but it is very close. A few things that do not work, yet.

1) Flash and Shockwave will not install.

2) The shortcuts will not be created.

3) It may only install into the default location.

4) The app is missing alot of error catching routines. I am very new to C# and do not know how to use it very well. So, you may get an "unhandled exception" or some other fatal error. If you do, please screenshot it and post it for me. Then, I can fix it.

5) It saves the installer to %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Files directory.

To finish these few items, I need to set up a some VM 's to test the installs on. This was written and tested on 1 Win7 x64 system.

It is 6:00 am here and I am tired. I promise, I will finish when I wake up.

Please test and post any bugs. The app requires .Net 3.5. Sorry, but I could not get everything working peoperly in .Net 2.0.

Thank you all,

~jonnyboy

downloadiu.png

MD5 = 93F40CE1F4578E0E4088BF9707985937

Edited by Jonnyboy

FFaM v0.9.0.2 posted

Hello all!!

Long time, no here. I finally finished with my classes and had a little time to work on this the last couple of days. I know, it was supposed to be done before Christmas. Sorry, this was the best that I could do.

I am posting the current file on my sourceforge. Be warned, it is not 100% done, but it is very close. A few things that do not work, yet.

1) Flash and Shockwave will not install.

2) The shortcuts will not be created.

3) It may only install into the default location.

4) The app is missing alot of error catching routines. I am very new to C# and do not know how to use it very well. So, you may get an "unhandled exception" or some other fatal error. If you do, please screenshot it and post it for me. Then, I can fix it.

To finish these few items, I need to set up a some VM 's to test the installs on. This was written and tested on 1 Win7 x64 system.

Please test and post any bugs. The app requires .Net 3.5. Sorry, but I could not get everything working properly in .Net 2.0.

Thank you all,

~jonnyboy

Changelog

Edited by Jonnyboy