DVD Writer not working with Laptop

rubab

Hi everyone,

I have a External ASUS DVD Writer . My Laptop is Compaq C304NR which was bought in 2005.

The problem i am having is that when i plug the DVD Writer in my Desktop PC it runs and writes DVD Perfectly. But when i plug it in my Laptop it refuses to Write and read DVD but it reads CDs. In other words the 'Burn' button disappears when i insert a Blank DVD while it is plugged into the Laptop.

Can anyone tell me where the problem is because both the USB ports of my Laptop works perfectly and still the DVD writer is not working? Can this problem be related with USB port Speed? How can i solve it?

First thing that crossed my mind when I read your post was to check if your external DVD burner is selected as the default burner in the recorder options. BTW, which application for burning are you using?

I don't think that it's USB speed related, but if it is, then you can't do much about it since your laptop doesn't have USB 2.0 ports. :(

Actually this page says that it uses '2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0'

I selected the external drive which is the DVD Writer but still the Box for adjusting burning speed, and the Burn button is Grey.

I am using Nero 8 Lite 8.3.2.1b. I tried Nero Express and also the Burning ROM but still the problem remains.

LUZR4LIFE i tried what you said but it didn't work.

N1K i forgot to mention that i used Nero 8 Lite 8.3.2.1b & burned a multisession disc in my Desktop PC using the external DVD writer.

But after plugging it to the Laptop it only reads CD . When i insert a DVD in the writer and try to enter the drive 'My Computer' stops responding and windows becomes very slow. Everything turns normal when i get the DVD out.

Another strange thing is that the USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller is not installed. May be installing it will solve the problem. How can i install it manually?

Edited by rubab

OK i was able to install USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller by installing the Motherboard Driver but still every time i insert a DVD i hear it spinning inside but after a few moments the Notebook says that 'Please insert a disk into Drive I:'

I took the Laptop and the drive to the shop and there the External DVD writer ran perfectly on other Notebooks but it didn't work on mine. The shopkeeper said to reinstall windows which i already did but nothing changed and the problem is still there. :(

Did you tried to run in on the same model of laptop as you have? Just so we know that the problem IS in your laptop.

OK i was able to install USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller by installing the Motherboard Driver but still every time i insert a DVD i hear it spinning inside but after a few moments the Notebook says that 'Please insert a disk into Drive I:'

I took the Laptop and the drive to the shop and there the External DVD writer ran perfectly on other Notebooks but it didn't work on mine. The shopkeeper said to reinstall windows which i already did but nothing changed and the problem is still there. :(

Did you tried to run in on the same model of laptop as you have? Just so we know that the problem IS in your laptop.

No the shop only Had Asus Notebooks and my one is Compaq presario C304NR.

Can you try with another burner maybe, so in best scenario, you can sell this one and get yourself a new one that will work with your PC and with your laptop. :unsure:

No the shop only Had Asus Notebooks and my one is Compaq presario C304NR.

Can you try with another burner maybe, so in best scenario, you can sell this one and get yourself a new one that will work with your PC and with your laptop. :unsure:

OK i will do that. Thanks a lot for everything. :D