WinXP x64 Compatability

Jonnyboy

What changes would have to be made to an inf installer to make it compatible with both x86 and x64? The program is firefox, so not a 64-bit program.

I guess the question should have benn, can a single inf be used in both an x86 and an x64 system? If so, how could the inf be written to accomplish it?

tia

hmmm! good question, TBH I have never used a x64 operating system only 32 bit but I will do some investigating see if the DirID's (16422 etc etc) are compatible with x64 structure

Maybe by looking at a x64 driver INF we could tell

• 4 weeks later...

With just a some initial testing I have been able to make an inf that installs in both Windows x86 and x64 systems. I need some script rewriting to get the registry settings correct. But, with some initial reading on MSDN, it appears easier than I could have imagined. It does doubles the size of the inf, though. Because you basically have two entries for everything.

Tested only using DefaultInstall.

Edited by Jonnyboy

I finished writing the script the creates the inf for my addon maker. In testing it is compatible with XP, XPx64, Vista. I have only tested using defaultinstall. I need to make images and test in unattended.

I still need to test Vista x64

*EDIT*

Premature, Vista failed "The Inf you selected does not support this method of installation.

More work is needed. Thought I had it.

*EDIT Again8

Fixed. Vista works

Edited by Jonnyboy

I've got it working and installing via unattended, but I get a pop-up about digital signature and Authenticode Technology when installing into WinXP (x64), still not tested Vista (x64). Anyone have any ideas on getting around that? Without going to Verisign or someone like that.

The silent install installing via svcpack shouldn't generate this error code. But, that's for later testing.

Again, thanks for the help.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello Jonnyboy, in the installation of any Addon I have the following mistake, you found some way of solving it.

[ INF Install failure. Reason: Could not retrieve the system message. You may run out of the system resource." ]

Thank you anyway.

Sorry, I missed your post earlier.

I am not sure what you need. Could you explain in a little more detail.

Thanks

Guest snakecracker

@divisionados

You need to install alky.

there is a post on wincert telling you how to install sidebar on 64-bit XP

i'll try to find it.... (if i get time)

I have installed alky, the instruction are the next, but not working for me: I have the same error

FULL INTRUCTIONS FOR WINDOWS XP 64-BIT (Admin, make this sticky please)

Files needed and order to install

1. Copy tskill.exe to System32 Folder.

2. Install following:

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86).exe |just install BOTH, i dont care y, but it works|

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64).exe |just install BOTH, i dont care y, but it works|

- Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows 64 bit Client-Server.exe

- Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (64-bit).exe

3. Install alky_1.1_trunk_032308-000051_2k3.msi and RESTART is a MUST.

4. Right click on Sidebar.inf and press install and RESTART is a MUST (its annoying, but u have to do it AGAIN).

5. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Sidebar\

Now read carefull:

Locate files and DELETE them

-sbdrop.dll.manifest

-sidebar.exe.manifest

-wlsrvc.dll.manifest

if they are not there, SKIP this step.

Now, press right mouse on following: sbdrop.dll (Patch Vista Library), wlsrvc.dll (Patch Vista Library) and sidebar.exe (Patch and Run Vista Executable)

-Sidebar will appear (IVE done that on atleast 5 computers with XP x64 and worked every time), but sidebar will look dodgy. Dont panic, just close it on the taskbar

Left Bottom of your screen Press right on Sidebar icon and Close.

6. Go to Control Panel Add-Remove Programs, find Windows Sidebar and press CHANGE, the menu will appear with following:

The following will re-register Windows Sidebar, Repail Gadget Installer and also repair any Shared Gadgets you may have uninstalled.

Keep pressing Ok, OK, OK...

7. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Sidebar\ Open sidebar.exe and i WILL WORK.

I havent modified any files at all. All files are in their original state, download them from original sites:

Windows Sidebar v6.0.6001.18000 at http://www.hr-host.com/wincert/ricktendo64...tl_AlkyXP1.1.7z

alky_1.1_trunk_032308-000051_2k3.msi at http://www.fromvistatoxp.com/builds/1.1/al...-000051_2k3.rar

Guest snakecracker

have you installed everything that it asks before you do right click and select install?

1. Copy tskill.exe to System32 Folder. < have you done this?

2. Install following:

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86).exe |just install BOTH, i dont care y, but it works|

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64).exe |just install BOTH, i dont care y, but it works|

- Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows 64 bit Client-Server.exe

- Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (64-bit).exe <<Have you done these??

3. Install alky_1.1_trunk_032308-000051_2k3.msi and RESTART is a MUST. <<Done this? and have you restarted?

4. Right click on Sidebar.inf and press install and RESTART is a MUST (its annoying, but u have to do it AGAIN).

just pointing out what you might not have done before you go on to part 4...

if this does not help then i'm sorry but i have not tried this yet so i won't know....

hopefuly you get this installed okay...

The problem is not the [Addon]Windows Sidebar v6.0.6001.18000, the problem is the file inf, for example with the [Addon]InterDownloadManger5.15 Build 4 (International) I have the same error.

[ INF Install failure. Reason: Could not retrieve the system message. You may run out of the system resource. ]

Post = [Addon]InterDownloadManger5.15 Build 4 (International)

Guest snakecracker

Hmmm.... Well i'm sorry to say but i can't help anymore.

I've done what I know mostly about

If i knew more about 64-bit INF i would of helped ya alot more.

Maybe somebody else on WinCert might be able to help out?

Sorry Mate :(