[Closed] XPtsp General discusions

bober

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bug in deskapd.dll.res dialog 200 : button List All Modes is hidden

edit : why capitalising every word in dialog 200 of deskperf.dll.res?

edit : ieframe.dll.mui.res seems useless : it just changes the size of a dialog window, and it doesn't look very good.

edit : why all these dialogs in inetcpl.cpl ? they don't come with inetcpl.cpl when we open it in reshacker

Edited by Kal

Hi there,

I'm trying to make my own theme patcher based on this one, for french version. I just saw some strang things in sysdm.cpl.res: all resource that are not modified in this file should not be included. Same thing applies to every other resources files, but I can't check them all.

Here is the modified version

Kal

EDIT : in resource Dialog 101, I don't like the : "Customized By:/XP-tsp Version:". We know you want to be famous, but comon, it doesn't really look professional :pirate:

Same thing for mmsys.cpl.res

kal alot of other res tools exist like restorator or xn resource editor,so plz try with those if you have trouble opening res files.

"sysdm.cpl.res: all resource that are not modified in this file should not be included. Same thing applies to every other resources files, but I can't check them all."

-well i cant check em all either but i have done alot of them and removed as much as possible about all the non edited stuff.

"deskapd.dll.res dialog 200 : button List All Modes is hidden">>real res has *absolutely no button for this its a box to list items and evidently its not hidden at all.

AND

"edit : why capitalising every word in dialog 200 of deskperf.dll.res?"

*i have no idea what ure talking about, again i compaired to the orginal and i cant see any trouble.

"edit : ieframe.dll.mui.res seems useless : it just changes the size of a dialog window, and it doesn't look very good."

dialog had to be resize cause of avi.

AND

"Same thing for mmsys.cpl.res "

AND

"edit : why all these dialogs in inetcpl.cpl ? they don't come with inetcpl.cpl when we open it in reshacker "

its the internet option cpl page, so there are many tabs,and alot of tabs have options depending on the button you push.

you seem to be right on that 1 tho,the dialog belongs to inetcplc.dll, ill do some tests and change it,thx.

AND

"EDIT : in resource Dialog 101, I don't like the : "Customized By:/XP-tsp Version:". We know you want to be famous, but comon, it doesn't really look professional "<<<LOLOLOL

-i my self havint created all the res files, i have edited some, other members have also done some work(if things are like they are chances are some of us have agreed to edit it like it is),and the rest comes from other visual patchers.i think you should take the time and read this topic thoroughly,it might answer alot of youre questions.also, if you took the time to read 1st page, this is the continuity of rick's viso,so if you also go on that topic and read it, you might also find other answers.

changes are welcome, but i think we should all agree 1st.

Edited by bober

Hey, Bober. Regarding the primary/secondary IDE controller driver issue, I found a file called STORPROP.DLL in the SPx.CAB/DRIVER.CAB file that is being modified. Maybe since the driver is signed, maybe this file is part of the driver? Just a thought.....

tested patching without that specific res file and i still got the error.too bad, but thx for keeping an eye on the problem.

ishould be able to psot new links 2 nite,cleaned up a few res files again,as kal pointed out, i also fixed inetcplc.dll and inetcpl.cpl,also thx to kal.

i implimented the patching of ieframe.mui.dll in MrNxDmx's IE7 addon.

Edited by bober

alot of the 4 bit icons were removed size-wise,as test shown that they were never used anyway.so it helps reduce the size in the end, i also do know that not all resoruces are conform to this... so if you find any you are also welcome to point them out.

dougie, ive update some res files and added a section in the batch:

::specific cab patching::
:nrie7
if not exist "i386\NR_IE7en.cab" goto wmp_check
echo extracting NR_IE7en.cab
if not exist "NRIE7en" md "NRIE7en"
%xp% "I386\NR_IE7en.CAB" -F:* "NRIE7en" >nul
set name=ieframe
set name1=dll
set ext=mui
%rh% %ao% "NRIE7en\%name%.%name1%.%ext%", "NRIE7en\%name%.%name1%.%ext%", "%res%\%name%.%name1%.%ext%.res",,,&echo patching %name%.%name1%.%ext%
echo compressing NR_IE7en.cab
echo>NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF .Set Cabinet=on&echo>>NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF .Set Compress=on&echo>>NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF .Set CompressionType=LZX&echo>>NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF .Set CompressionMemory=21
echo>>NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF .Set FolderSizeThreshold=5000000&echo>>NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF .Set MaxDiskSize=CDROM&echo>>NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF .Set DiskDirectory1="I386"
echo>>NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF .Set InfFileName=NUL&echo>>NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF .Set RptFileName=NUL&echo>>NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF .Set CabinetNameTemplate="NR_IE7en.CAB"
for /F %%i in ('dir/B/ON/A-D NRIE7en') do echo>>NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF NRIE7en\%%i
%cab% /f "NR_IE7en_CAB.DDF" >nul

modded res files will be in the change log,but comparing/re-organising the res by date maybe a better way if i forget to mention any.

Edited by bober

I've been fine-tuning my code and running tests. I've added code to remove all read-only attributes from the XP source, as well as added the NR_IE7en.cab code to the script. I've tested with XP Pro. I ran into one problem, which was quickly fixed. XP Pro looks great, installed without errors (except for the small one that I fixed). Patching XP Home right now, will run through a test with it.

P.S.: I see that the thread title has changed, but I don't see the new link to batch beta 10.....

Edited by dougiefresh

ya i know i prepaired the post b4 the files were uploaded and i applied it too fast.

n e ways, greate news on the gui.i may be able to test with mce later 2 nite.

Edited by bober

A little question about logonui.res.exe:

Why changing stringtable to replace arial/tahoma for segoe ui if you don't include segoe ui fonts in your pack? Moreover, comparing with logonui.exe from SP3, a lot of strings has been removed, is there any reason for it?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Kal

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that I added code to allow the developer to omit files if they met or exceed a certain version number, per Ricktendo's request. I included two files in the new "NoPatch.ByVersion" section in the INI, as well as included links.

The XPtsp.ini file will include file locations for live system patching. I've got 95% of the files located and I'm working on locating the rest of them. I think writing the code will be much easier than the source patcher, simply because most of the work has already been done! Eventually, I will include file descriptions in the XPtsp.ini file, as well as write up a component selection page to replace page 4.

Anyway, GUI Beta 10f should be out soon, once I reverify Home is good. Thanks to everybody for your feedback and responses!

Kal: I can include the font file(s) in the add-on that the GUI builds....

Edited by dougiefresh

A little question about logonui.res.exe:

Why changing stringtable to replace arial/tahoma for segoe ui if you don't include segoe ui fonts in your pack? Moreover, comparing with logonui.exe from SP3, a lot of strings has been removed, is there any reason for it?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work :thumbsup_anim:

the missing strings are mainly; current programs running and email,also

about the font thing,if a user has those fonts then they will appear,if not defaults kick in.

the logonui is trying to mimic as much as possible the vista logon.but it maybe a good idea to include the fonts in the future.

also; if anyone has dled the new build in the last 1 hour or so, plz re-dl i had forgot to fix something.

edit:damn it still some issue in the new logon res,ill have to re-re-reupload the whole thing again....

dougie, nice work,this is realy begining to be a very complete program,oh and on an other note, i think the drive space indicator problem uppon first logon is gone, lol i just realised this the other day.im doing a virtual install to test xptsp,and ure drive space addon is in there so ill confirm if the problem still happens.

edit:ive simply edited the 3 longonui files, nothing else has changed.will upload later,but under the same name,so check hash ...

Edited by bober

Ok, here's the latest version of the GUI. I've done a bit of testing to verify that things work properly, with both Pro and Home. Everything seems to work properly, so I'm releasing this version to the public!

Download: XPtsp v1.0.10 beta 10f

MD5: C36E0A1DAF2548A9C50D46885057D5B3, Size: 31.2mb

What's Changed:

- Updated resources to match batch beta 10.

- Added code to check version number of files in order to avoid updating certain files.

- Added code to remove read-only attributes from all files in source folder.

- Added code to allow script to update files inside NR_IE7en.CAB.

- Added new sections to XPtsp.ini for file locations for Live System Patching.

- Added Segoe UI fonts to the add-on that the script creates.

So, let me know what y'all think and if you have problems! Thanks!

EDIT: I need some help finding the rest of the files... The new sections in XPtsp.ini lists where they are supposed to be and I've found about 95% of them. I need some help locating the rest of the files on an ALREADY installed system! If you want to help, please PM me with the location if/when you find them! Thanks!

Off-Topic: Updated the download page with the entire changelog, as far as I can track it in the few minutes I looked. (I'll probably find more if I look more...)

Edited by dougiefresh

ill see if i cant find a few...,also i changed main.cpl ....its gonna be in next build once its uploaded

edit: it will take longer than thought so here it is:

http://rapidshare.com/files/146183048/main.cpl.res.html

about file locations

WINNTBBU.DLL=%Sys%\WINNTBBU.DLL

WINNTBBA.DLL=

WINNT32A.DLL=

WINNT32U.DLL=

these files arent very important for the live install as they are only for the install process so i think you can just skip them all together.also i see youve set a variable;%sys%=system32,is this correct?if so,im not sure but what if some files go to system?

n e ways ill find the missing files and send you the ini.

i have a question, did you parse txtsetup.sif to find the locations?

also;i dont know if the live patcher will keep in mind that depending on what hardware poeple ahve soem file may be or not be copied to the system, a good example is NTKRNLMP.EXE,i think this kernel is only present if a user has more than 1 physical cpu.

some files couldint be found on my system so i referenced the locations from the site:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/filedb/

came quite handy if i might add.

also i found an other file that will also need to be added to the nrie 7 section;

HMMAPI.MUI=%Prog%\Internet Explorer\en-US\hmmapi.dll.mui

ill be updating my batch so it also patches it incase a user has integrated nr's ie7.

also;i checked the section you made to patch inside the nr ie7 addon but im wondering why you seem to cabbing the file when the file is not cabbed in his archive... n e ways ill be inluding the new ini containing all of the previously missing locations.

XPtsp.ini.rar

Edited by bober

I'm using %Win% to refer to the Windows folder, %Sys% to refer to the System32 folder under Windows, and %Prog% to refer to Program Files folder. We can make changes to the variables if there are a lot of files going to one location, such as the case with the Windows and System32 folder. If it's one or two files, it's just easier to use one of the simple variables and type the rest of the path in.... for example:

PINBALL.EXE=%Prog%\Windows NT\Pinball\PINBALL.EXE
Nothing else goes to that folder, so it's easier to type it in like that.

I actually wrote a script to locate a lot of the files. When it couldn't find the file at certain locations, it executed a folder search for each file via CMD, recursing thru the folder structure. I had to manually edit the output of that mess... In order to figure out the sound files, I looked in the TXTSETUP.SIF file. I haven't had time to look for the other files.

The live patcher will have to look to see if the file exists before attempting to patch, just like the source patcher. In the case of the kernels, the right kernel is copied to the hard drive to some file. Each kernel uses the same resource file to mod it, so applying the bootscr.res to it will mod it correctly....

Thanks, Bober!

dougiefresh I've had bad luck with you gui patcher to be honest. I tested it many times. Something went wrong not sure what. First I was suspected that WMP11 slipstream is causing some conflicts but in the end I exclude it,and same thing happen. I'm suspecting tht something is interfering with my setup/combination. The funny thing is that bobers batch works any way I toss it. :unsure:

This is last screen I manage to cache on fly while patching? :rolleyes:

errorzz3.png

yeah, but i dunno if ill have time to investigate and fix it 2 day/nite

here is a quick fix till i can re upload:

3 logonui sections that need to be fixed in the batch, you should be able to copy paste this

%rh% %del% "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", UIFILE,,
%rh% %del% "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", Bitmap,,
%rh% %del% "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", String Table,,

right b4 this line which is the original line
%rh% %ao% "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", "%res%\%name%.%ext%.res",,,&echo patching %name%.%ext%

sorry for the problems,i got alot of things going on in my life nowa days.

Edited by bober

dougiefresh I've had bad luck with you gui patcher to be honest. I tested it many times. Something went wrong not sure what. First I was suspected that WMP11 slipstream is causing some conflicts but in the end I exclude it,and same thing happen. I'm suspecting tht something is interfering with my setup/combination. The funny thing is that bobers batch works any way I toss it. :unsure:

gorki are you using, ricks Windows Easy Transfer addon?

Edited by bober

yeah, but i dunno if ill have time to investigate and fix it 2 day/nite

here is a quick fix till i can re upload:

3 logonui sections that need to be fixed in the batch, you should be able to copy paste this

%rh% %del% "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", UIFILE,,
%rh% %del% "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", Bitmap,,
%rh% %del% "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", String Table,,

right b4 this line which is the original line
%rh% %ao% "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", "%tmp%\%name%.%ext%", "%res%\%name%.%ext%.res",,,&echo patching %name%.%ext%

sorry for the problems,i got alot of things going on in my life nowa days.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not : Resource hacker will overwrite these sections with logonui.exe.res, no need to remove them before. Correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Edited by Kal