[Closed] XPtsp General discusions

bober

Ok, I've been looking for a better looking bootscreen and I found this:

What do you think about it?

well, the actual bitmap is

373540m.jpg

and pasted to kernel, sure thing it looks very much good and psychedelic for a New Year :evil:

16 colors are 16 color limited palette is limited palette

edit:

and how do U expect anything nice and fancy, when your video drivers loaded later on ? :g:

edit again:

...Microsoft evidently went to a little bit of trouble to hide this, because each hex value is backwards! For example, one of the orange colors in the original palette has the RGB value of "247 107 42", which translates in hex to "F7 6B 20". you will notice that it is listed as "20 6B F7" The values of each color in the palette are listed in this manner.

http://www.geocities.com/thejjoelc/XPbootcolors.html :doh:

Edited by amnesia

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes amnesia i understand what you are talking about. I tried extracting the bitmaps myself and the result was a horrible looking bootscreen that will give a heart patient a heart attack. Just kidding.

I suppose i will have to stick with the version you guyz are providing with XPtsp.

Thanks amnesia and dougiefresh for all your help.

I suppose i will have to stick with the version you guyz are providing with XPtsp.

oh, come on now, don't give up :) all we have to do is follow step-by-step tutorial from

http://www.geocities.com/thejjoelc/XPbootcolors.html

and figure out how to attach hex editing to reshacker-patching routine :blink:

edit: i actually went on and hex edit my kernel, the palette changed (to normal, i suppose). so, the next step is to play with bitmaps-palettes

(yeah, i kinda went in reverse order) :)

Edited by amnesia

I'm sorry.... I had found it and it looked good at the page. I downloaded the file and it sat for a while. Yesterday, I punched the bitmap into a copy of the kernel after I posted about it and wondered what else I was missing.... I didn't think that the bitmap looked THAT bad! (Granted, it didn't look great either!) I just hadn't had the time to do further investigation in how to correctly do the bitmap thingy....

Thanks for the information about replacing the kernel bitmap and palette. I'll write up the code to do the hex-editing so that hopefully the damn thing will look GREAT! (Unfortunately, it took a workplace accident to end up with the time to do it.....) It shouldn't take too long to do.....

EDIT: If I can figure out where the fricken palette is stored in the kernel....

Edited by dougiefresh

cut sum toes off? jk.

i always hear a hissing sound out of my right ear resulting from work, ben like this since 2005.workplace accidents/long term damages are a b*tch.

Edited by bober

EDIT: If I can figure out where the fricken palette is stored in the kernel....

00 00 00 00 15 1A 20 00 46 46 46 00 D2 3E 2D 00 01 65 53 00 05 35 B2 00 7E 7E 7E 00 00 92 89 00 FC 7F 5E 00 20 6B F7 00 FF A6 8D 00 04 DC 8E 00 1B BC F3 00 BC BC BC 00 FC FC FC 00 FF FF FF

340799m.png

Now to explain a bit about what you are looking at. Each color on your screen is made up of an RGB value. White, for example is "255 255 255". Those RGB values can be translated into a hexadecimal value. White is "FF FF FF". Those of you familiar with web design or image editing at all are probably already aware of all of this. What you see in the image above, and in your own hex editor, is a list of 16 such hex values separated by a "null" character (00). This is the palette windows uses to turn the all black boot screen image into what you see on screen.

Like I said though, Microsoft evidently went to a little bit of trouble to hide this, because each hex value is backwards! For example, one of the orange colors in the original palette has the RGB value of "247 107 42", which translates in hex to "F7 6B 20". In the screen shot above though, you will notice that it is listed as "20 6B F7" The values of each color in the palette are listed in this manner.

Edited by amnesia

amnesia at the moment i am downloading jasc Paint Shop and i will try my level best to follow the guide. I just want to know if i set the values according to the values mentioned in the guide you provided what difference will i get? I mean what will the result be?

00 00 00 00 15 1A 20 00 46 46 46 00 D2 3E 2D 00 01 65 53 00 05 35 B2 00 7E 7E 7E 00 00 92 89 00 FC 7F 5E 00 20 6B F7 00 FF A6 8D 00 04 DC 8E 00 1B BC F3 00 BC BC BC 00 FC FC FC 00 FF FF FF

I meant in the file I downloaded from the ThemeXP.org site. The site you mentioned said to look for that string, which is how to locate the palette in the unpatched kernel. I'm pretty sure that the palette inside the file from ThemeXP isn't the same as the standard palette.... and I doubt it can it be located so easily....

Just before I decided to press submit, I searched about hex-edit the XP kernel palette (this) and found some instructions on how to hex-edit this SOB properly. So I can write the code now.....

EDIT: I've written the code to hex-edit the bootscreen files. It was fairly easy, but now all I need is the palette. I'll make a section in XPtsp.ini so that when it becomes available, it can be added/modified without having to modify the source code.

Edited by dougiefresh

thanks for the updates amnesia i hope you can work out the palette for the boot screen

and thanks to fixit for the XPtsp_Blue_0.9b5_batch.exe but is it possible to change the folder icons to the ones in amnesias post

bluefolders

the ones in the pack now look a little plane, where the ones in the link look much better

i have also included the original bmps for the black msgina and shell32 logoff from the above post,

shell32msginabmp.7z

keep up the great work guys :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by sT0n3r

@sT0n3r

The blue folders are exactly the same as the green folders, only i made each green pixel blue :online2long: .

'll try to update at least the main folder icons from start menu whit some of these. (but it is hard to match colors and i am not a real good artist, lol)

Also i have been told the icons Amnesia posted here are for vista os 256x256 :huh: ... but i would like to use similar ones.

i also have a little side project that i would like to finish (beta) befor xmas, but 'll see what i can do.

I noticed that the way you added "Customized By: XP-tsp" looks really bad

376681m.jpg

It looks more like:

"Customized By: Intel®

XP-tsp Version: Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz"

I mean VISO didn't have these kinds of messages.

I don't think people who use XP-tsp will ever say that they did it all by themselves, they should normally give all the credits to you guys.

When my friends ask me how i made XP look like vista , i just send them the link to this XP-tsp post. In other words i give you proper credits.

Ultimately it is your software and you can do as you like and i really appreciate the way you guys made it look more fantastic than before. I am just suggesting that it would look more beautiful if you didn't add those lines there.

Please don't take it in the wrong sense because every XP ISO i make i use and will keep using XP-tsp/VISO.

Rubab, you can extract the file you download, select sysdm.cpl.res from within the Resources files, open it with Reshacker and edit it as you wish, save and re-add it to the archive. after removing or changing that section, if you will.

Edited by Nomadturk

(:

I've downloaded, modified what i needed, removed/added some stuff and created my customized batch file. It indeed is a good source. Till now, i was only using BricoPacks and to be honest, you can't even compare the two! It sure gives XP a new and better look.

Hi guys,

I hope I'm not being a buzz-killer, but I don't get the chance to check Wincert/Ryan's page as often as I'd like to, and I'm going to be doing a clean install soon. Thing is, there's 55 pages of what looks to be a totally awesome app that I will definitely use - but skimming through some of the pages and the first post with the updates, it doesn't seem to match. E.g., are the default folder colors green or blue? Does the batch file come with the Drive Space Indicator? Is that problem quoted which says it's fixed fixed?

:unsure:

Really just trying to catch up, so if it's possible, could the first post be updated/ a bit clearer for us first time users?

Thank you if you can, and like I said, it looks awesome, just don't know if I need to install fonts, sounds, etc. and the other questions above.

:thumbsup_anim: Big thanks!!!

Directed to pen25j:

Are the default folder colors green or blue?
Default folder colors are green.
Does the batch file come with the Drive Space Indicator?
No, only the GUI version comes with Drive Space Indicator. Although, you could add DSI to your install by downloading the add-on from this topic. The GUI adds it pretty much the same way nLite and RVMIntegrator does....
Is that problem quoted which says it's fixed fixed?
I'm sure Bober will agree when I say please be more specific about what "problem" you're referring to....

=======================================================

RisingXun: Have you tried the GUI version? I've been writing the XPtsp GUI in AutoIt, which is based heavily on the batch file version. It does the same thing as the batch file with a nice graphical interface. I've also added the ability to patch a live system to the script, something which the batch file cannot do at this point. It can also do many of the patches & additions that nLite and RVMIntegrator can do.

I'm pretty sure that the batch file doesn't patch files that aren't present. I've looked at the code and if it can't find the file that it needs to patch, the batch file skips that file.

EDIT: Hold on, I reread your post. I'm sure that the Setup.exe program reappearing after it's been removed by nLite can be easily fixed!

=======================================================

Rubab: I agree that the additional lines either (1) need to be removed, or (2) the appropriate text filled in so that the text XP puts in is lined up with the proper line. To me, that part of the dialog box looks sloppy right now. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.... :sweatingbullets:

Other than that, I think the project is coming along very nicely! Keep up the great work, y'all!

Edited by dougiefresh

bober:This is previously updated by amnesia but you dont add to XPtsp.v1.2_batch so if you like add to pack.

Bober_Update

and tow file not exist XPtsp.v1.2_batch notexist.7z

amnesia this is big request please update. some icon and bitmap is a previous my computer ico so please update and some icons and bitmap is a yellow so if you can update to green and blue Resources.and update dnsmgmt.msc

fsmgmt.msc(blue and green) wmimgmt.msc icon

Resources for update