( UPDATED !) Microsoft QuickView ported to Windows Xp and Vista (File Viewer)

AMIRZ

(UPDATED): Get Original Microsoft QuickView and Folder Content Previewer

Ported to Windows Xp, 2003, 2000, Vista...

Standard (Simple and Good) Microsoft Windows 9X/NT Context Menu File Viewer

For Xp, 2003, 2000, Vista

Get original simple Microsoft File viewer on Windows Xp context menu like Windows 98 before!

Updated QuickView Installer only+fixed some previous issues! (now Version 3/last):

CHANGE LOG:

CHANGE LOG (V3/Final):

- Fixed registry issue when you are installing QuickView not on C:\ Drive (i.e. D:\, E:\, etc).

- Fixed installer and Uninstaller.

- Improved "Send To" Menu etc.

- Added QuickView extension handler to Explorer Context Menu

- Improved QuickView for previewing any supported file more

- Fixed Vista compatibility (hopefully next version for Windows 7 also)

- Fixed language resource and manifest.

- Fixed installer and uninstaller code and size.

- And so on...etc.

Also added / included ImgView plugin for QuickView (separate binary, in same download package though) for JPEG, PNG, GIF, PCX etc more preview supports (read below).

- Fixed some bugs of Old QuickView version;

- Available as both installer and extracted (files only) version

- etc

- Fixed registry issue when you are installing QuickView not on C:\ Drive (i.e. D:\, E:\, etc by changing some environment variables).

- Now it has new Xp and Vista visual style manifest res (link to comctl32.dll version 5 & 6 ) that doesnt exist on pre-Windows Xp like Win 98.

- Now it can run on Windows Vista too, smooth (tested on my Vista SP1 only) and maybe Server 2008 as well. All with both Vista Aero and Visual style support (it might be recommended to disable UAC temporarily during installation process only, but usually no problem on most cases)->(Rearranged some internal functions so it can run smoothly on Vista)

(You can also use it as original MS previewer companion on context menu with Vista Explorer preview pane/previewer). Oh did i already say that you can also use it as simple dependency walker/PE function viewer for any Windows binary file (dll, exe, ocx)? Yes you can (see the screenshot above)...

- Now it supports external plug in that written for previous Windows version (see the link below) to preview more image file types such as .png, .gif and so on.

- MD5 checksum included now for checking the integrity and security reason.

+fixed some previous issues, sorry! Don't worry, All perfect now! QuickView is the best & simplest original Microsoft context menu viewer for any file type, too bad it was officially discontinued after Windows 98 so please let all later Windows versions get it too since now. Thx alot for your attention and support.

Screenshots:

QuickView in Windows Vista as well as Windows Xp:

quickviewinvista.jpg

(You can also use it as original MS previewer companion on context menu with Vista Explorer preview pane/previewer). Oh did i already say that you can also use it as simple dependency walker/PE function viewer for any Windows binary file (dll, exe, ocx)? Yes you can (see the screenshot above)...

- Now it supports external plug in that written for previous Windows version (see the link below) to preview more image file types such as .png, .gif and so on.

- MD5 checksum included now for checking the integrity and security.

+fixed some previous issues, sorry! Don't worry, All perfect now! QuickView is the best & simplest original Microsoft context menu viewer for any file type, too bad it was officially discontinued after Windows 98 so please let all later Windows versions get it too since now. Thx alot for your attention and support.

=========================================================

:) Hello everybody, ( long time ago before Vista Explorer Preview Pane and Apple Leopard "Quicklook"... ), a handy tool that comes with Windows 95 and Windows 98 by default is the QuickView viewer application (it was abandoned and also unsupported in newer versions of Windows included Xp and Vista). By right-clicking on some files, you'll see an option called "QuikView", that will allow you to preview the contents of a file without opening the associated application. You can also use QuickView on Windows Explorer (file preview) and Outlook (attachment preview).The supported file types are text, images, document, spreadsheet, App binaries (dll, exe, ocx, cpl) etc. looks useful enough to me...( I love to preview app binaries like exe or dll by using QuickView, as well as text files etc)

If you were formerly Windows 95/98 user, you had been noticed about QuickView and its function (as default Windows File Viewer). Unfortunately, again, it's abandoned on Windows Xp (By default Xp Shell has only thumbnail, detail pane, status bar, and new "Film Strip" and "Slide Show" for image file types, no more previewer for other file types like text file, binaries etc). For further information about QuickView also Please visit : Wikipedia and Microsoft or just Google it...

This is not Avantstar QuickView Plus but really an original Microsoft QuickView from Windows 98 or NT (with little resource of course), as the QuickView Plus' "predecessor" but ported back to Xp for the God's sake lol

For Xp user, fortunately since now the old/classic viewer app has been ported successfully to Xp (from "DOS" to "NT" based program...). It's also very light app (as shell extension, even it almost doesnt need any resource when you are not using it). If you are interested, just give it a try :

If you want to get QuickView running on Windows 2000/Xp/2003, just download the ported versions :

- Download Microsoft QuickView for Xp / 2000 / 2003 (Installer/Setup Version, only 1.03 Mb )-> Recommended : MD5: b172374499554501cccb21248dbcf25a

http://www.4shared.com/file/57784437/ccea3...or_2000-Xp.html

If you dont like or have any trouble (e.g false positive) with the installer, just download the "extracted" version below (files+registry entries):

- Download Microsoft QuickView for Xp / 2000 / 2003 (Extracted/unpacked version/installation files, contains QuickView Binary Files, Batch and Registry Entries only+guide to install (batch or manual), only 1.06 Mb )

MD5: 8e9d694f932eeda9238142517812d307:

http://www.4shared.com/file/57790534/e623b...or_2000-Xp.html

Updated: If you want to add "QuickView" Option to Explorer context menu for opening any file type using Microsoft QuickView File Viewer, just use this registry tweak - Already included in the latest version of QuickView here (btw seems you can also use same command parameter for some of other viewer programs etc on context menu by just editing it...):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\QuickView]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\QuickView\Command]
@="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\Viewers\\QUIKVIEW.exe\" --open \"%1\""

Copy and save it with Notepad as e.g "QuickView.reg" (with extension .reg) then double click to merge it into the registry.

screenshotiw.jpg

Or just download the registry entry file here (with guide and undo the changes etc), only 41 Kb lol:

http://www.4shared.com/file/177176176/f70b8a68/Add_QuickView_to_Open_Any_File.html

- Some Screenshots of Quickview on Windows Xp context menu (Note: on context menu, Quickview's name is just "Quikview" without "c", as original in Windows 95, 98, NT...) :

14359492zu6.th.jpg

87069346sj3.th.jpg

54588684ot5.th.jpg

quickviewonwindowsxp.jpg

(Note: Sorry for the low resolution, some images may look so blurry although the actual/real application GUI is good...)

PS: To use QuickView to preview any file on Windows Explorer : Right Click the file > QuickView or Send To > QuikView...

Added Viewer Plug In for QuickView: Please Also Download Image View Plug In for Quick View (very recommended):

It's a free plug in to make QuickView enabled to preview more image file types: GIF, JPEG, Kodak PhotoCD, PCX, PNG, TARGA, and TIFF etc.

It also works so well on all QuickView versions (original and port): 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 and Xp (above port). It's very recommended plug in for QuickView. Thanks to the author Jeff Prosise. Credits to annoyance.org: (Y)

- Download Image View Plug In for QuickView:

Size: Only 457 KB

MD5: 93d9acf05a14624fe344d4a59aa98e6f

http://www.4shared.com/file/92892198/4cbbf...8_2000_Xp_.html

Updated: Already included in the QuickView packages above...

Please Note: Since some app files might have been "patched" or "compressed" (packed) to work properly on another Xp OS editions etc and it might be a necessary effort for that beside the installing code itself, then some "false alarm" or "false positive" may happen to some clean exe installers/apps /installation process (rare) although they are actually clean and safe and does not pose a threat to your system.. The term false positive is used when antivirus software wrongly classifies an innocuous ( inoffensive ) file as a virus. The incorrect detection may be due to heuristics or to an incorrect virus signature in a database.Usually some great and famous antiviruses (such as Kaspersky, AVG, Norman, McAfee, etc) won't have the such problem so far bcoz they will work better. If that happens, then you can simply ignore it and continue installing as it's guaranteed actually 100% safe and clean by me. But again, it's still 100% your own choice and right to decide.

===================================================

Folder Content Previewer is apart of Microsoft Windows 95 PowerToy. It works like QuickView, but can preview: Folder, Drive, Partition, and Zip/compressed (.zip) file contents, at one level deep preview. It also works on all Windows versions, included Xp. It also looks useful enough to me...

If you want Folder Content Previewer too, just download:

- Download Microsoft Folder Content Previewer for all Windows versions (only 7 kb ! / .inf installer file ) :

MD5: DDA14F968E008C60D45D078B8F9FCFE0

http://www.4shared.com/file/57787256/fb8f7..._Previewer.html

- Some Screenshots of Folder Content Previewer on Windows Xp context menu:

61650137gx7.th.jpg

59164182qq0.th.jpg

PS : To use Folder Content Previewer : Right Click the drives/partitions/folder/zip file then choose "content"

Another Old Useful Application from Windows 9x/2000 Ported to XP:

- Kodak Imaging for Windows (free port):

Imaging for Windows (by Wang) from Windows 2000 ported to Windows XP (and also Server 2003), (if you were Win 9X/2000 user before, you may know this one) just like old Microsoft QuickView ported to XP Here: http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19748-windows-95-98-file-viewer-quickview-ported-to-xp-2003-2000/ , Imaging for Windows is an old useful built-in application that is originally from Windows 9X/ME/NT/2000 but discontinued / not included in Windows XP or Vista anymore (Its image viewing, editing and scanning functions, while the newer version 4.0 (side by side) has become a shareware: http://www.global360.com/ ). allows users to create, annotate, view and print TIFF, BMP and Microsoft Fax (AWD) image documents and so on etc. Users can also view and print JPEG and PCX/DCX etc images with this application.

Download the free-ported version here by me (the free old version from Windows 2000 ported to XP and 2003, and maybe vista too. Especially tweaked and patched/enhanced for Windows XP / 2003 environment and so on...):

Download Imaging for Windows for XP here: http://www.4shared.com/file/227007364/b337541a/Kodak_Imaging_for_Windows__por.html

Some of Other Free Useful File Viewers on Context Menu in Windows Explorer for Windows XP and 2003 also maybe 2000/9X (Thumbnail and/or file content previews):

Since they are actually Windows Explorer shell extensions, you can also use them on Explorer window, search result, desktop (i.e. useful especially since you can't set thumbnail view on XP desktop unlike Vista or 7), open save as dialog box etc.

contextviewerbyschezo.jpg

- Context Viewer by Schezo:

Preview text file and images on Explorer context menu. Support Susie Plug ins for more file type previews.

Download for free - latest version:

http://www.4shared.com/file/123321653/14483655/Context_Viewer_By_Schezo.html

- ContextView Pro (free abandonware, still cool to have):

Preview images and multimedia (audio and videos) file on Explorer context menu. Also best for using it i.e. as complementary tool for e.g. QuickView, QuickView Plus, or Context Viewer above (since they can't preview multimedia files) etc. For good example e.g. you can preview (listen) any mp3 file in Explorer just by right click it once, without opening any heavy media player in Windows and so on etc!

Download for free - latest version:

http://www.4shared.com/file/216821627/d39980c9/ContextView_Pro_20_Full.html

Again you can also get more free file viewers and thumbnail plugins for Windows etc here: http://www.4shared.com/dir/16848775/c90f5dba/File_Viewers_Explorer_Thumbnai.html

:P I am just bringing back some "missing" old/classic features that useful from previous Windows versions to Windows Xp /2003 /2000 here. I hope it's also useful to you (at least as "Xp Desktop Enhancement Feature" etc). That's all. Thx for your attention and Good luck :) . Finally, Long live Xp!

PS : Please feel free to redistribute them/re-upload/share the download links etc...As i hope more people can download and enjoy them on Xp...Thx alot!

Recommended Links by me :

- Get thumbnails of more file types on Xp Explorer (included text and document!) here

- Get Vista File Viewer (Vista Explorer Preview Pane) "ported" to Xp here

- Get Some Free File Viewers, Thumbnail Plug Ins, and Search Tools etc from Here:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/16848775/c90f5dba/File_Viewers_Explorer_Thumbnai.html

VERY WORTH PLUG INS FOR WINDOWS XP FAX AND PICTURE VIEWER:

(Thanks to Raymond): Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is an image viewer that is a part of the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 operating systems. It is based on GDI+ and is capable of viewing images format supported by GDI+: JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF (including animated GIFs), ICO, WMF, EMF and TIFF format files. it can still be improved to have more for 200+ image support such as *.msp, *.gem, *.cals and *.dpx. many etc by Installing imageXtender (very recommended): Download it here: http://www.imagextender.com/

post-4652-1217880377_thumb.jpg

post-4652-1217880395_thumb.jpg

Edited by AMIRZ

:) Hello xprox, mona, and all. All links are 100% working now...fixed by 4shared itself. Thanx alot for your info guys. Good luck :) ...

:( However i should add another alternative/mirror to possibly anticipate something inconvenient like that before. Please forgive me and again, thx! :)

Edited by AMIRZ

• 1 month later...

UPDATED INSTALLER - (QUICKVIEW SETUP/INSTALLER VERSION 2)

:) Hello everybody, please excuse me, sorry for interrupting by this small post but here is recently a new update for QuickView as i have also updated this thread above (please read) :

CHANGE LOG:

- Fixed some bugs of Old QuickView version;

- Available as both installer and extracted (files only) version

- etc

- Fixed registry issue when you are installing QuickView not on C:\ Drive (i.e. D:\, E:\, etc by changing some environment variables).

- Now it supports new Xp visual style manifest (link to comctl32.dll version 5 & 6 ) that doesnt exist on pre-Windows Xp.

- Now it can run on Windows Vista (tested on my Vista SP1 only) and maybe Server 2008 as well. All with both Vista Aero and Visual style support in execution (it might be recommended to disable UAC temporarily during installation process only, but usually no problem for most cases)->(Rearranged some internal functions so it can run smoothly on Vista)

Screenshots:

QuickView in Windows Vista as well as Windows Xp:

quickviewinvista.jpg

- MD5 checksum included now for checking the integrity and security.

:whistle: +fixed some previous issues, sorry! Don't worry, All perfect now! QuickView is the best & simplest original Microsoft context menu viewer for any file type, too bad it was officially discontinued after Windows 98 so please let all later Windows versions get it too since now. Thx alot for your attention and support. :D

You can also see my similar thread (on another forum) here (possible future update etc there)

Regards, Amirz :)

Edited by AMIRZ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Hello all, I am new to the forum! :newhere: I salute everyone with a cordial greeting :welcome:

I know this is a very old, expired thread :dizzy: :unsure: but i have a computer that I cannot get rid off (personal motif, some would understand), and I would like to try the vista file viewer out. It is a Windows Server 2003 (I know, 12 years old, they grow so fast), which is almost like Windows XP.

Anyway, could you  :please:  upload the files to a new host or server? It would be a great welcome gift for me!

• 4 years later...

Please post a new download link. The old one is a broken link.

Or at least tell me what changes you made to the EXE file to get it to work. I've been trying to hack the import tables in my own copy of quikview.exe in a hex editor for like the past day, and I've not managed to make it work.

Edited by Ben321