cracking during sound effects

ST33L

I have recently purchased a new ultima machine from OCUK.

The machine has the new Intel core 2 due chip and accompanying motherboard.

When I play older games on it I get crackling sounds when sound effects/music are played. Its not bad its just a small static like crackle that only seems to happen during play of UT2004 and America's army.

During playing music and new games it is spot on.

Do you think its because the chip and board are brand new its just a case of waiting for updates? The machine has been sent back and returned with no fault found. They grilled it by playing new games with settings on max and they had no problems whatsoever!

The guy did have a point when he asked me why I bought this system just to play old games that a

Guest beemarin

The common thread between those two is that they're based on the Unreal engine, which uses *.ogg's for their sound effects. Not sure, it's an open-source, lossless codec, so I don't believe there should be any problems.

What motherboard did you buy? The onboard soundcard, specifically.

Mate, why not buying additional PCI sound card like Creative Live..

Those cards aren't expensive but are very good. I have ASUS P4-C800 MBO and have sound card onboard but I've also buyed Creative Live sound card and I'm preety satisfied with it..Wasn't so expensive also..

Guest beemarin
can you post url for it

Well, I'm not exactly sure if .oggs even need drivers, since the codec is pretty much compatible anywhere. Try updating your mobo drivers first.

Thanks for help chaps

Mobo is an Intel Bad Axe 975X (LGA775) Dual DDR2 PCI-Express Motherboard

Its only a month old and its fully updated as much as it can be right now. Maybe at some point an update will sort out the crackling.

The guy at OCUK is sending me out a new SB sound card for free so hopefully this will cure it

Ch33rs again for help :welcome:

Edited by ST33L

I have Asus P4C800 Deluxe MBO with integrated sound card on the board.. This card is disabled in BIOS since I'm using Creative Labs PCI Digital Sound Card...

I also have crackling sound but only when I'm transfering files from that PC to another or to my laptop..

Have to admit that I never managed to find out solution for this issue.. :sigh: