Don't Shut Off Vista UAC, It can be useful!

NIM

One of the most annoying things about Microsoft Windows Vista is User Account Control and all the warnings it pops up to ask if you just did something you really wanted to do. The temptation is strong to turn off UAC warnings by disabling the controls, but that causes more problems, like making it even more difficult to do some things in Vista. Fortunately, there's a better way.

The annoyance of UAC pop-ups is unfortunately front-loaded: they happen most often when Vista is new and you're installing new applications and downloading files more often. The temptation is strong to kill them, because it's easy. Just go to Start > Control Panel > Security > Security Center > Other Security Settings. But the problem with shutting off UAC is that other security-conscious Vista components may decide it's just not safe to run without them, like the Windows Installer.

The UAC pop-up isn't just a simple "Are You Sure?" warning. Responding affirmatively to the pop-up actually elevates your permissions, if your user account is in the Administrator group and your permissions can be elevated.

Luckily, there's a switch that can be set to automatically accept all UAC warnings, and using this switch rather than disabling UAC is a good thing because it leaves Vista security in place.

Click Start and Control Panel. Switch to Classic View (if you haven't already) and click on the Administration Tools icon. In the list that opens click on Local Security Policy, and in the next window, Local Policies (a tiny bit redundant, but all UIs can't be perfect -- If UAC is running you'll get a UAC pop-up somewhere in here). In the Local Policies list click Security Options, and scroll down to "User Account Control: Behavior" (the full title of the policy is "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode". Double-click the title and in the dialog box change its setting from "Prompt for Consent" to "Elevate without prompting." Click OK and you're much safer now :)

• 1 month later...

i dont like the UAC feature its like an firewall if firewall block some program it will popup an message fomr me its useless but many people who want more security will neeed this since my vista is slow (i dont want the anoyinf uac popup it will just slow what im doing example running an installer :) )