List of Most Vista / Windows 7 Applications and Features for Xp

AMIRZ

sad since ive got only 2 OS i replace my xp to windows 7 to test it But im just goona use it on my vpc to install xp there :)

Btw have u tried Windows 7 M1 ?

:rolleyes: No i haven't (only seen some screenshots and reviews of it on net forum, indirectly), too bad im still busy for now Bro, still no have time (i only have both Xp and Vista installed for now, and i need them so much for my work/activity since they are still "real" legacy OS for me rather than Windows 7 Beta, yes i'm like U) :) unless i have several machines for the "experiment" (more than two), also some people said the downloads that from torrent have been contaminated by spyware and trojan etc (i hope it's not true, at all), and big size (Gb) like Vista till i got the copy from my friend. Lol for now i still have limited bandwith from my local ISP in my country (package) but will upgrade it next month or soon, i hope so.

But if the day comes, in right time (hopefully soon), as i said b4 then yes i will :D I also hope the RTM will come earlier to us Bro (end of 2009 / 2010?) still love Xp than everything. Cya :D

:rolleyes: No i haven't (only seen some screenshots and reviews of it on net forum, indirectly), too bad im still busy for now Bro, still no have time (i only have both Xp and Vista installed for now, and i need them so much for my work/activity since they are still "real" legacy OS for me rather than Windows 7 Beta, yes i'm like U) :) unless i have several machines for the "experiment" (more than two), also some people said the downloads that from torrent have been contaminated by spyware and trojan etc (i hope it's not true, at all), and big size (Gb) like Vista till i got the copy from my friend. Lol for now i still have limited bandwith from my local ISP in my country (package) but will upgrade it next month or soon, i hope so.

But if the day comes, in right time (hopefully soon), as i said b4 then yes i will :D I also hope the RTM will come earlier to us Bro (end of 2009 / 2010?) still love Xp than everything. Cya :D

Yes if windows 7 RTM come i will replace the vista to windows 7 and i will replace Windows 7 m3 to xp

BTW bro Math Input panel IS WORKING on vista i dont test it to xp but i think it will work

the only prob is it cant recognize a number lol captureji0.png

Edited by jdd

Yes if windows 7 RTM come i will replace the vista to windows 7 and i will replace Windows 7 m3 to xp

BTW bro Math Input panel IS WORKING on vista i dont test it to xp but i think it will work

the only prob is it cant recognize a number lol captureji0.png

:D Wow it's a big news, why you dont create a new thread about it here on Wincert (i.e it's been ported to Vista) Bro? It seems it only missed some dependencies/dll, try to find and copy them all in same folder/directories on Vista, hopefully then it will work as well. Btw what's build of your W7?

Too bad i still dont have W7 installed.

Edited by AMIRZ

:D Wow it's a big news, why you dont create a new thread about it here on Wincert (i.e it's been ported to Vista) Bro? It seems it only missed some dependencies/dll, try to find and copy them all in same folder/directories on Vista, hopefully then it will work as well. Btw what's build of your W7?

Too bad i still dont have W7 installed.

Windows 7 M3 :)

its not completly ported cuz it dont recognize what i write (Numbers)

maybe u can fix it :) i can send u the math input panel file

(i only tested it on vista) maybe on xp it may work if you patch it with alky

AND BTW

can u fix an non correct link in your list (OR DELETE The link)

Recommended: Windows XP/2003 Ultimate Edition, Have all windows xp version's functions:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Windows-XP-2003-...ate-t61070.html

Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.

Edited by jdd

Windows 7 M3 :)

its not completly ported cuz it dont recognize what i write (Numbers)

maybe u can fix it :) i can send u the math input panel file

(i only tested it on vista) maybe on xp it may work if you patch it with alky

AND BTW

can u fix an non correct link in your list (OR DELETE The link)

Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.

Lol Alky is only for Vista application Bro, not Windows 7. :P And as said i also need the OS (W7) still dunno when will i have time to install it Bro... :unsure:

As i checked the link was removed by MSFN itself (must be a new moderator on MSFN who did it (i forgot his name: Mr. S..). As he also removed my thread about Snipping Tool on MSFN there before, bcoz he said it's MS binaries and copyrighted, so it can be considered as warez and should be deleted F**o him I'd also like to give him a free account of Demonoid)... :D Distress, as have to go holiday...

Cya Bro. Long live Xp

Edited by AMIRZ

Lol Alky is only for Vista application Bro, not Windows 7. :P And as said i also need the OS (W7) still dunno when will i have time to install it Bro... :unsure:

As i checked the link was removed by MSFN itself (must be a new moderator on MSFN who did it (i forgot his name: Mr. S..). As he also removed my thread about Snipping Tool on MSFN there before, bcoz he said it's MS binaries and copyrighted, so it can be considered as warez and should be deleted F**o him I'd also like to give him a free account of Demonoid)... :D Distress, as have to go holiday...

Cya Bro. Long live Xp

well windows 7 IS vista but its more best

(vista can run windows 7 math input panel without hacking some .dll) like that :)

yes his wrong but its microsoft work and its only made on vista i little bit agree on him

but i very agree on you :)

Edited by jdd

Windows 7 definatly IS NOT Vista....

Have you even had the chance to try it?

Installed it last night and it is quite deiiferent from Vista.

YES i know it not vista overall

but its like vista ^_^ it has sidebar it has all the vista stuff If its not vista then the startorb will be change to (hmm i think xp start button lol) It is like vista remake

yes i have IT windows 7 m3

but some says that its VISTA but MUCH BETTER or we can say IMPROVED (i heard some news information)

Source

Ballmer also confirmed the relationship between Vista and Windows 7, indicating that Windows 7 will be an improved version of Vista

And i think windows 7 is based on windows server 2008 r2

post-3833-1225974482_thumb.jpg

SFXmaker detecting that my win 7 is server 2008 lol

Pls correct me if im wrong

Edited by jdd

Yes Bro Jdd, it looks like Vista for GUI (theme) and some features (Ballmer also said it has same kernel 6.1 as well as future Vista SP2) but i think coz it's still an alpha/beta build (remember how did Longhorn and Vista Beta 1 look like Bro?). However, it still has some more enhanced features so it's quite different with Vista (New Superbar, AeroShake, New Taskbar Thumbnail API, glassy animated bootscreen, some new tools, Ribbon API etc etc). IMHO the RTM/final version will be much different and better than Vista, so it's wise to give it a chance. I still can't wait MSDN to release some new APIs of Windows 7 to public with some technical reviews of the binaries and features (since people need them so much to analyze and possibly port some W7 apps to down level versions of Windows OS such as Vista and Xp, that's we people have done with some apps (ports) from Vista OS and Other Xp editions (both MCE and Tablet PC) to Xp Pro/all editions today, so still say thanks and give rewards to them: Raphael and Zoronax, Cody Brocious, Ricktendo, Some russian hackers, and especially me AMIRZ lol, he..he... sorry just kidding :D ). Yes, i hope (at least) most of them will use some generic APIs (i.e implementation of new .Net framework 4.0 that will be on Windows 7 and most possibly both Vista and Xp) like most 3rd parties, since basically (programmatically i meant) there's no "Vista only application", "Xp only application", "Windows 7 only application", etc but only "MS protected code" and "exclussive for new OS" there, arrgh lolz, for them all :P .

Oh, must be a vacation now, so tired... :sweatingbullets:

Again, please still say "Long live Xp!" for us. Always! Cya n Cheers! :thumbsup_anim:

Yes Bro Jdd, it looks like Vista for GUI (theme) and some features (Ballmer also said it has same kernel 6.1 as well as future Vista SP2) but i think coz it's still an alpha/beta build (remember how did Longhorn and Vista Beta 1 look like Bro?). However, it still has some more enhanced features so it's quite different with Vista (New Superbar, AeroShake, New Taskbar Thumbnail API, glassy animated bootscreen, some new tools, Ribbon API etc etc). IMHO the RTM/final version will be much different and better than Vista, so it's wise to give it a chance. I still can't wait MSDN to release some new APIs of Windows 7 to public with some technical reviews of the binaries and features (since people need them so much to analyze and possibly port some W7 apps to down level versions of Windows OS such as Vista and Xp, that's we people have done with some apps (ports) from Vista OS and Other Xp editions (both MCE and Tablet PC) to Xp Pro/all editions today, so still say thanks and give rewards to them: Raphael and Zoronax, Cody Brocious, Ricktendo, Some russian hackers, and especially me AMIRZ lol, he..he... sorry just kidding :D ). Yes, i hope (at least) most of them will use some generic APIs (i.e implementation of new .Net framework 4.0 that will be on Windows 7 and most possibly both Vista and Xp) like most 3rd parties, since basically (programmatically i meant) there's no "Vista only application", "Xp only application", "Windows 7 only application", etc but only "MS protected code" and "exclussive for new OS" there, arrgh lolz, for them all :P .

Oh, must be a vacation now, so tired... :sweatingbullets:

Again, please still say "Long live Xp!" for us. Always! Cya n Cheers! :thumbsup_anim:

yes cant wait to release rtm of 7

start button of longhorn is like xp vista beta 1 start button is like xp and the vista beta 2 is replaced wit the orb start button

yes xp rockz vista so much failure cuz i have vista and its so slooooow grr it hangs when im open windows explorer

maybe alky team make for windows 7 alky 7 ? ahhaha

Yes Bro i hope so, but actually Alky project died...as far i never heard about it again, as it has become open source and released the source code, not sure if the next/new team will release some code for Windows 7, or maybe Wine? (it's only for Linux though)...

I ever tried to download it (the source code) from there but then the site (falling leaf) gave me trojan hourse as my AVG warned me...more than three times, still dunno know why. later, recently it's not available anymore, except the Alky for applications (Alky 1.1 for both Xp and 2003) and Alky for Games (DX 10 binaries for Xp). However you can still download the stuffs from trusted sites such as Softpedia. I've heard about some Russian Hackers have released updated Alky Binaries for DX 10 so you can get real DX 10 on Xp to install and play some Vista only games (it's still controversy) which you can download it on this thread above :) . But DX 10 (or 10.1) has been outdated as MS will release new DX 11 for Windows 7 and Vista SP2. Most people dont realize DX 10 or higher is not only for games, but also as critical dependency for some future multimedia program/features, so it's so important. I can't believe the fact, since Win 98 SE (Special Edition) can use DX 9.0, while Xp can't use f**ing DX 10 (in same level for comparison), why? So? WTF DX 10, there's still Open GL, we will still support Xp always, even President Obama's legacy OS is Xp (U dont believe me? Ask his secretary ha..ha..just kidding :D ). Makes me headache. OK Bro... :thumbsup_anim:

Btw, I just imagine how will the future computer with Windows 7, or 8,..9..10 look like, with all new equipments Bro. Just go flash back, as i remember my big sister's old PC 486/P 1 (1994/1995) with Windows 95 and/or DOS installed, large floppy disk, old non-cartridge printer etc, there's no (for me at the time): personal scanner, LAN/DSL modem, DVD writer etc etc but still very great at the time. That's why it's called a "computer history" or anything else, as part of our life, our history too. But the life must go on, and so the OS, sooner or later it will change, as we have to accept the fact Xp wont be with us forever... :crying_anim02: but at least i'll still keep it, for now as i said, or 2-3 years forward till 2014 (MS support) or even might be more...Wish us luck, cheers! :D

if directx 11 comes up i will buy a new video card that supports it :gleam: ]

and do you know wmp 12 has on windows 7 well i dont notice it when i install windows 7 m3 . i notice it today ahahahah (when i open the about box on wmp 12) :albert:

do u heard midori ? its sounds sucks ahahah it reminds me of a video game

Edited by jdd

• 3 months later...

Sorry not meant to bump this old thread but i have just changed/updated it althogh for alittle (The above list) :welcome: May have to go "vacation" for some days or more...finally Long Live Xp! Thanx 4 ur attention n cya!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I think he is welcoming himself (lost in the translation)

BTW KB961742-v3 may be a good one to add to your list, this is what it does to XP in Windows 7 Virtual PC (there is also one for Vista)

Lol i see :D oh yeah thanks Rick for the info, i will add it to the current list ASAP. Edit: Done, yeah i hope that it would be helpful and useful for many people especially Xp users, for "The Complete Transformation of Xp to Vista/Windows Seven" (in the most possible way as far as we can of course)... :) Windows 7 is very welcome but otherwise personally i'd still like to keep and say "Long Live Windows Xp"... :thumbsup_anim: it's still the best MS OS ever...

Happy customizing, tweaking and enhancing your OS everybody, especially Xp of course hehe, anyways good luck, cheerz and cya... :)

Edited by AMIRZ

• 2 weeks later...
this is an interesting post. thanks for sharing! can't wait to try it out! :thumbsup_anim:

Welcome to Wincert & thanks mate it's nice to know that it can be also useful for you, anyway good luck :thumbsup_anim: and long live XP too!

=====================================================================

(Edit) ADDED ANOTHER GUIDE: ONE GOOD EXAMPLE OF CUSTOMIZING/ENHANCING XP TO MAKE IT LOOK AND BEHAVE LIKE VISTA

(ALSO WINDOWS 7)

(In A Simplest/Minimalistic Way Without Being 100% Vista “Copycat” Lol)...

Important Note: You can always customize your Windows Xp less or more or as much as you want, that’s why it’s called “personal desktop” anyways. You’re not required to make it 100% look or behave like Vista, but still “enhance” it instead (Usability is still more important than eye candy anyways IMHO)…Some further tweaks maybe required as well.

You can also find/get some links for these items mainly from the main list above of course (“List of Most Vista/Windows 7 Applications and Features for Xp”) or just google them as usual etc.

PS: On Windows 7 Beta, even some Vista native applications (e.g Windows Meeting Space and PhotoGallery) have been removed (get the replacements from both Windows Live and Office Live).

Any effort to get them all is still relevant since Windows 7 is an enhanced version of Vista...

- DESKTOP/SHELL GUI:

Bootscreen: Just Standard Xp or another one with Tuneup Utilities (better than “empty”black Vista BS imo)

Logon Screen: One from Xpize with Tuneup Utilities

Themes/VS: VistaXp by KOL

Wallpapers: Original Vista Wals

Screensavers: Original Vista SS ported to Xp

Most Shell Icons: Get them from VTP 9 (selective install)

Vista Start Menu: Customize Xp Start Menu Without Vistart and Any Third Party: http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20450

ANIMATED GUI (DWM Emulation):

Shadow: Y’z Shadow

Transparency: Border Skin (optional, too bad transparency sucks on Xp, mainly with topdesk)

Animated Icon: Uber Icon (optional)

Animated window: Window FX

Flip3d: Topdesk and Vista Flip3d icon

Taskbar Thumbnail: Visual Tooltip

Transparent window and always on top: PowerMenu (optional)

WINDOWS EXPLORER FEATURES:

Explorer Breadcrumb Addressbar: Folder Pilot or QTTabbar or Minimalist Explorer Breadcrumb

Vista Favorite Links: FindeXer

Vista Live Icon/Thumbnail and Metadata: Get More Thumbnail and Metadata on Xp

Vista Viewer Pane and Search: Get Vista Explorer Preview Pane and Search on Xp

Vista Command Prompt on Context Menu: Command Prompt PowerToy

Vista New Window on Context Menu: Add New Window on Context Menu

ORIGINAL VISTA APPLICATIONS:

IE7: IE7 or IE8

WMP 11: WMP 11 with Vista WMP 11 Skin or Windows 7 WMP 12 Skin either

Windows PhotoGallery: Windows Live Photo Gallery

Windows Mail: Windows Live Mail

Windows Calendar: Windows Live Mail or/and MS Works Calendar

Windows Movie Maker: Windows Movie Maker with Vista Skin by fediaFedia

Windows DVD Maker: Microsoft PhotoStory 3 with Sonic DVD Burning Plug In or Better to get Sonic RecordNow with/without DVD Studio or Nero

Explorer DVD Burning: ISO powertoy and IMAPI V2

Windows Notepad, Paint, Calculator: Vista ones ported to Xp

Windows Defender: Windows Defender for Windows Xp

Windows Search: Windows Search 4.0 for Xp

Windows Sidebar: Windows Sidebar ported to Xp by Ricktendo

Windows Media Center: MCE 2005 or Windows Media Center for Xp with Vista Skin

Windows Meeting Space: Just Net Meeting or Microsoft SharedView

Tablet PC Applications:

Snipping Tool: Vista Snipping Tool ported to Xp

Sticky Notes: Sticky Notes ported to Xp

Windows Journal: Windows Journal ported to Xp

Windows Tablet PC Input Panel: Tablet PC Input Panel for Windows Xp

Windows Vista Games: Vista Games ported to Xp

DirectX10, .Net Framework 3.0, IMAPI V2 etc: They all have been ported to Windows Xp as well (read the list/google...)

Etc.

Again sorry for not being so complete, instead this is just one example (from my previous desktop), and you can always customize your Xp much more better completely just like/following the entire list or another alternative source of course, still your own choice and taste…anyhow it’s still recommended to only get the most wanted or needed/favorite features for you (remember that more apps=more resources), do it selectively. Anyway good luck and long live Xp indeed…

PS: Please also check the main list on the first post since it might have been updated with this plus some of other ones. Thanks.

====================================

====================================

(Updated) Just Added Some Tools for Windows Explorer to The Thread Here:

Some Free-Powerful Shell Extensions for Windows XP Explorer

(Recommended for XP - work on other OSes like 2003, Vista, or Windows 7 too)

greatwindowsexplorertoo.jpg

You can also visit my original thread on Deviantart for more info, updates, etc here (Windows All):

http://amirsyahrani.deviantart.com/art/Great-Windows-Explorer-Tools-142913425

1. XP / 2003 Only: Enable XP / Common Visual Style on Some Controls of Loaded Shell Extensions For Free - An Important feature for Windows XP shell customization...

(Especially 3rd parties) - in shell extensions or activex objects (e.g toolbar button / BHO, explorer bar, context menu items etc) in Windows Explorer, note must support / have InitCommonControls function, with link to comctl32 version 6 in XP/Vista or higher, and so on).

For more info please see some documentations about it on MSDN: e.g http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb775695%28VS.85%29.aspx and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997646.aspx

(Look, if you have Vista / WIndows 7 then you will notice that Vista / 7 has already improved/enabled the feature natively, by default. You would also get the feature by installing Window Blinds on XP, but it's not free though...).

To get the visual feature on XP and 2003 as default (M$ didn't do it for "some political reason" lol), on any shell extensions (especially 3rd party, if supported) visually without installing or patching any file, especially when on non-classic theme, just simply put / copy the explorer.exe.manifest (external manifest file) to Windows Directory to enable the feature without tampering explorer.exe itself or any system file (just take advantage of its "hidden" native feature instead). Easy to do that, without any special skill or "hacking" and programming language at all, lol that's it. It's safe and not harmful at all, would make XP shell looks better. You can safely delete it easily anytime if you dont want it anymore. Useful for both dev and user. Very small size (download explorer.exe.manifest for only less than 1 KB lol!)

For Example:

A. Before applying manifest (oldy):

beforeapplyingmanifest.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

B. After applying manifest (better look):

afterapplyingmanifest.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

Download it Here (With Guide & Batch Files etc):

(and just put it on Windows Directory (%Windir% or C:\Windows, then restart Explorer/Windows to see the changes)

http://www.4shared.com/file/146116163/39c2b651/Visual_Manifest_for_XP_Explorer_Shell_Extension.html

Or Just Download explorer.exe.manifest file only:

http://www.4shared.com/file/146169885/abb0c923/explorerexe.html

Alternatively you can also copy this code and save it as .manifest file named "explorer.exe.manifest" using Notepad:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"
manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity
version="1.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
name="CompanyName.ProductName.YourApp"
type="win32"
/>
<description>Your application description here.</description>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*"
/>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

You can also use it with any "MyApp" app with myapp.exe executable file for similar purpose as well (if supported, with above requirements e.g has link to comctl32 and so on), just rename it myapp.exe.manifest (following the executable name) and put it as external file in the same directory e.g in MyApp folder).

To get the same result on control panel extension/applets (.cpl), since .cpl is actually a dll that is running by using rundll32.exe, then just use same manifest file (renamed to "rundll32.exe.manifest") and copy it to C:\Windows\system32. You may need to restart Windows (or the service) before the change appears.

Download (complete): http://www.4shared.com/file/153774846/19cdeadc/Visual_Manifest_for_XP_Control_Panel_Extension.html

Or download rundll32.exe.manifest file only: http://www.4shared.com/file/153775143/deca42b9/rundll32exe.html

2. "New Folder" Button in XP Explorer Toolbar / Command Bar (just like Windows 7):

Actually Windows XP already has its own "Make a new folder" button too, to create a new folder in Windows Explorer (it's located in XP Webview Panel/Common Task Pane, see screenshot: http://img243.imageshack.us/i/standardxpnewfolderbutt.jpg/ ), but yeah some people would love it's on the explorer toolbar as well as Open/Save dialog box (and just like Windows 7 RTM Explorer now). Hopefully useful for you...

Since Baxbex new folder offered only old Windows 98 style icon (not matching with new XP visual style) see: http://www.baxbex.com/images/shoots/bxnewfolder.html'>http://www.baxbex.com/images/shoots/bxnewfolder.html , then you can just download this free add on for new folder button in XP Explorer Toolbar (my created-skinned/reshacked bxnewfolder with Vista / 7 style icon etc) + using hotkey and floating dialog box, + external manifest file (explorer.exe.manifest) to enable XP / Visual style on some controls as above. Fully functional and working as well. See online screenshots: http://img263.imageshack.us/i/newfolderbuttoninxpexpl.jpg/ and http://img263.imageshack.us/i/cleanerusefuldialogboxa.jpg/

-> Screenshots of "New Folder" button on XP Explorer Toolbar:

(Sorry can't display more larger images here for some technical reason):

A. Vista / 7 style icon new folder on XP Toolbar:

newfolderbuttononxptoolm.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

B. Creating new folder on XP Explorer:

creatednewfolderinexplo.th.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

C. Creating new folder dialog box - useful and cleaner UI with XP / Vista visual style:

cleanerusefuldialogboxa.jpg

Download it Here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/140689147/273f676f/New_Folder_Button_in_Explorer_Toolbar.html

Hopefully still useful especially for XP users here (works on 98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003..., while it has only dialog box and hotkey on Vista and 7 though). By the way, since this one is just using the same library from baxbex new folder (it's freeware, all credits and thanks to Baxbex), and most people had complaint about that they were not able to reshack the app using Resource Hacker / any res editor to change the original "old" Windows 98 style icon etc in the bx toolbar, actually it's because the file (activeX dll) was encrypted and compressed (packed) with 3rd party PE compressor (e.g UPX, Execryptor...), after checking it by PEid then i found it that was Aspack 2.12 and then decided to unpack it, (note: not all app binaries can work properly after they are unpacked, so it's also necessary to dissassembly, dump and rebuild the PE headers, some fixes and rechecks etc) until the dll was registered fine, finally the little work was kinda like reverse engineering rather than just reshacking lol. And since it was unpacked (uncompressed), the size become little bigger of course lol although there's no problem with it, anyway i wish they would also update the app in near future, soon...

Updated: If you already have standard/original Baxbex New Folder application installed: http://www.baxbex.com/ , then you can also just download this smaller patch only to get Vista style icon (would also give the similar result): http://www.4shared.com/file/152692792/57222e19/Baxbex_New_Folder-Vista_Icon__Patch_Only_.html

3. FolderBox for Windows Explorer (Unpacked too/Skinned/skinnable):

A free application that displays additional folders (window) in the lower part of Windows Explorer, displays the contents of two folders or more, useful and cool (with Windows 98 icons though). So i just changed some few UI features of it (unpacked and res-edited like BxNewFolder above, "fixed" text, enabled "dead" icons and so on...). a free application that displays additional folders (window) in the lower part of Windows Explorer, displays the contents of two folders or more, very useful. Since it's already unpacked, you may customize the icons yourself if you want later, by using any capable delphi res editor e.g PE Explorer. At least it's still better than original look imo, + also enabled (some) XP visual common controls as said above, works well on Vista and Windows 7 as well as Windows XP:

Screenshot:

folderboxskinnedunpackeb.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

Edit/Updated: Beside the standard one, i've just added FolderBox with Vista Icons (on its toolbar - see screenshots), sorry just got them for free (free Vista toolbar icons, 100% legal). Just like the standard one, FolderBox with Vista icons will work well on all Windows versions: 98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, and Windows 7 without any problem so far:

Screenshot of FolderBox (with Vista icons) on XP and Windows 7:

folderboxscreenshot4vis.jpg

folderboxscreenshot3vis.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

Download it here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/145993156/b890321e/Baxbex_FolderBox_Unpacked-Skinned.html

Again this FolderBox version works on Windows all: 98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, Windows 7...all credits to Baxbex for the free original apps (just skinned them).

Updated: If you already have standard/original Baxbex FolderBox application installed: http://www.baxbex.com/ , then you can also just download this smaller patch only to get Vista style icons (would also give the similar result): http://www.4shared.com/file/152692434/46e8ddff/Baxbex_FolderBox-Vista_Style_Icons__Patch_Only_.html

4. Another Useful File Viewer for XP Explorer With Preview Pane (just like Vista / Windows 7 feature):

Preview any file on Windows Explorer (text, documents, images, multimedia audio-video, compressed binaries etc) without using the default application, easy and faster:

Screenshot:

explorerviewshellextensj.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

Updated: it's already included a patch to get Vista style icons too (optional) now, in the same download package below:

Download it here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/145080698/fe089106/File_Preview_Program_for_Windows_Explorer.html

OS: Windows XP, 2003, Vista, Windows 7...(Windows All).

You can also please visit my thread here for more options etc:

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19634-get-windows-vista-like-explorer-and-search-preview-pane-for-xp/

- Added Here: Some other free "special" shell extension-based tools/apps that might be useful for you (file viewers and metadata properties tools etc) here:

Download links:

- EXIF tooltip & tag editor on context menu :

http://www.4shared.com/file/68602957/34e8b46a/Exif_Tag_Editor_for_Windows_Xp.html

- Multimedia tooltip & tag editor on context menu (album art + metadata editor etc) :

http://www.4shared.com/file/60548711/9c3f833c/Multimedia_Tooltip_for_Explorer.html

- Thumbnail for text files on Windows Explorer :

http://www.4shared.com/file/60260203/cf905a8d/Thumbnail_Extensions_103__text_file_thumbnail_on_explorer_.html

- Vista Explorer preview pane for XP (File viewer-Complete) :

http://www.4shared.com/file/58042204/7195bc4a/Vista__Explorer_Preview_Pane_for_Xp.html

- MacOSX/Leopard-style Coverflow (AKA Quicklook) for Windows Explorer (directory, file content, & thumbnail viewer etc):

Explorer Coverflow for Windows by Vemod - aqua-soft.org (full credits to him) :

http://www.aqua-soft.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=52376 Edit: there are still "afew issues" with Vista/7 though, also seems it's not quite stable on XP. Anyhow it's still free and working, and seems the app itself is still under development/being developed...(thanks to my friend Kyosan for the info btw).

Note: XP/2003: You need administrator rights to install the shell extensions. Vista/Windows 7: Make sure you always install/register/run "as administrator" (self explanatory)...

Added: Here is Chess Titans for XP : http://www.4shared.com/file/kaxvlF1U/Chess_Titans_game_for_XP_All.html

And Mahjong Titans for XP : http://www.4shared.com/file/-Alu9YpR/Mahjong_Titans_game_for_XP.html

Enjoy and long live XP! Would still keep supporting it for good hehe

PS: Please feel free to redistribute them/re-upload/share all the download links and pages etc without any permission from me...

...Anyway good luck and cya...

Edited by AMIRZ

• 5 months later...