Problem with USB Drive

Mr.Thunderbird

Hello fellow wincert'ers! :)

I've just bought a new nice Seagate FreeAgent Pro USB Drive @ 1TB...

I copied all my files on it (400GB+) yesterday, when I got home today it won't start up.. It just makes weak "beeeps" and won't even spin..

I hope you have some tips, or other information that might help me

Cheers! MrT

You mean go for a new power supply right?

Well about the data, I got really many photos from the old times and etc.. My 2nd harddisk did a failure and I had to reformat it (another 500GB of data lost..) :(

I would go for the whole new disk mate..I bought Maxtor One Touch which does not have an external power supply and it works like a charm. It doesn't make any sounds, I can't even hear it while it spins.. :thumbsup_anim:

I would go for the whole new disk mate..I bought Maxtor One Touch which does not have an external power supply and it works like a charm. It doesn't make any sounds, I can't even hear it while it spins.. :thumbsup_anim:

Aaa, I see... I don't think I can trade the 1TB drive to another one though, something about warranty (I can get a new 1TB drive, but I can't get another one). :)

Else I would have bought another one, I got a trekstor which has never failed me. (until yesterday when it failed and I needed to reformat it lol). :P

• 1 month later...
Aaa, I see... I don't think I can trade the 1TB drive to another one though, something about warranty (I can get a new 1TB drive, but I can't get another one). :)

Else I would have bought another one, I got a trekstor which has never failed me. (until yesterday when it failed and I needed to reformat it lol). :P

You're correct Seagate doesn't exchange your model for another. It gives you the same model.

They did it with mine.Mine had a defective PCB and Seagate replaced it with a newer revision.

Anyways I think it's the internal usb-to-sata converter that might cause the problem.Since the drive makes noises it means it gets powered (it recieves the 5v).What might be wrong I think it's the 12v rail on the internal converter (which also powers the electric motor).

I suggest getting a new 2.5" external drive enclosure and putting your existing drive in it.

They are pretty cheap nowadays.Here's one that costs just 14$ with free shipping:

Meritline 2.5" SATA/IDE HDD External Enclosure USB 2.0 Powered

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DennyMK

If you haven't done anything yet, try "GetDataBack". It will recover all of your data. Very nice program. It helped me when Partition Magic frozed in the middle or resizing of my 500GB HDD.

Good luck and Happy Hollydays.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DennyMK
Thanks Denny, but too late :)

Ah well, I some of it back from backup CDs I found :D

It's never too late with GetDataBack. It may recover your files even now. ;)