[AddOn] Media Center 2005 (English) January 24 2012

ricktendo

I think I understand the features MCE gives you, but what's not clear to me is if MCE functionality only adds incremental features to XP Pro, or if MCE in any way limits or prevents functionality from XP Pro? I've read some comments about XP SP3 not being for MCE, which makes me wonder if MCE is limiting in some way. Can one of you experts comment? Are there things you can't do with MCE that you could do with XP Pro?

And of course, many thanks to Rick for sharing this with us!

heya rick

can it be you changed this in plusonic.inf ??

FileSetTheme=10, Resources\%LangID% ;\WINDOWS\Resources\%LangID% ;%LangID% needs to subst during LOC process

it might be something i used with xtsp pack that got me the "Error loading Theme"

or this line ..

Edited by ENU_user

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, not sure I understand. I integrated this addon with nLite, and if I look at the system properties, it says it is Windows Media Center so I believe everything worked. I guess I was expecting the see the image in my prior post when everything started (either instead of the login screen, or instead of the desktop). I don't see that start page. Everything looks the same as it does when I don't use this addon. So I was wondering how to turn it on? (Or does my not seeing it imply something went wrong?)

Many thanks!

Thats not the start page for the operating system its the programs a.k.a mecia center start page...you go to Start->All Programs->Media Center and do the wizard, then! you get the program start page

Look at this image it is the media center minimized http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9591/deskmx0.jpg

Media Center is nothing but a fancy media player that you can watch and record TV on, like a TiVo

Ahhh...that was the clarity I needed. Apparently something else I'm doing either prevented or deleted the Media Center shortcut, hence my confusion. I did a clean install with just Ryan's update pack, this addon, and .NET1.1, and the shortcut is now there. (I should I have tried this before asking...sorry.) Now I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong otherwise. :P

Thanks for taking the time to explain! :blush:

I've integrated this with XP PRO SP3 with nLite and fired it up in a VPC 2007 instance.

The media center fails to load with an exception in ehshell.exe which i can probably chalk up to it being in VPC 2007.

The odd thing is that when viewing system properties it's telling me Media Center Edition 2002 instead of 2005.

Very common bug the 2002 version issue, you can view the Media Center version in the about of the Media Center

The Media Center runs in VMware, it will warn you saying your Video card is not compatible with Media Center but it will still run.

You wont be able to play videos either in a VM...Dancer also will not be able to detect music in a VM

But once you have it on your REAL PC and not a Virtual all will work

Very common bug the 2002 version issue, you can view the Media Center version in the about of the Media Center

The Media Center runs in VMware, it will warn you saying your Video card is not compatible with Media Center but it will still run.

You wont be able to play videos either in a VM...Dancer also will not be able to detect music in a VM

But once you have it on your REAL PC and not a Virtual all will work

Thank you for the quick response and all the hard work you've put into this project!

I think I tracked down the reason for the missing "Media Center" shortcut. It appears to be WMP11. Here's what I did:

MSDN XP SP3 Source (en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso)

1) Use RVM_Integrator_1.5.3.exe to integrate:
->RVMUpdatePackSP3_1.0.2.7z

2) Use Boooggy's WMP11 1.3.4.3 slipstreamer with hotfixes

3) Use nLite 1.4.9.1 to integrate:
->Ricks_XP_to_MCE05_en.7z

4) Use Autoimage 0.1.9.8 to integrate RougeSpear's .NET1.1 during svcpck
->0_dotNET11SP1-VJ11.exe

Using the above, I don't get the "Media Center" shortcut and most of the "C:\Windows\ehome" directory is empty.

Skipping #2 above makes everything work!

I noticed some people reporting problems with the WMP11 slipstreamer earlier, and Rick mentioning he used Onepiece's WMP11.

So I guess this is not compatible with Boooggy's slipstreamer for some reason? Has anyone had success using Boooggy's slipstream with this addon?

Thanks for all your effort Rick........well i managed to install the addon to my clean version of XPPro SP3 using nlite i also installed the SATA driver needed for my HP laptop that im dualbooting....my question is i forgot to install the net framework 1.1 addon....but everything installed fine, once i was in the new XP MCE i installed Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 so i can use easyBCD to write the MBR of Vista's bootloader when i restarted i could see my dual Boot fine but then when i went into XP MCE i can't see my icons and start menu buttons and taskbar all i see is the pretty background....can you tell me what i did wrong and how can I fix this....Thanks for your help...

Edited by Chicho