new build - separate O/s partitions

360freq

from a 36gb SCSI drive.. I thought to install XP into a 25gb partition and keep the C:\Program Files folder for what needs to go there. then create another 10gb part as D:\Program Files for major apps.

i've searched a bit and found different opinions. besides Defrag efficiency, is there any good reason to have these separate O/S partitions in a new build?

the Paging file will set itself as necessary and i've read the Documents and Settings should also stay in place.

well yes.. thanks Kels, that's the purpose of this. all my data and audio will be on a 300gb SCSI RAID1 array, so that's protected.

if the O/S on (C:\) gets fuct, does it matter if the major Programs are on (D:\).. or would I have to re-install those anyway? would a re-install (or repair) to "C" break all the registry ties to "D"?

the that's why I post this Q.. i've heard differing opinions. maybe separating is good for making backup images only? just want to know all the reasons for doing this.

I hope to get other comments. do most of you who have fast systems keep the Program Files folder on it's own partition? .. or anything else for that matter that's included in the XP install? ~ TIA

My Operating System would be on C:\ drive along with all installed programs. Other partition would be for data (pics, movies, music etc). This way you can format C:\ when you decide to do a fresh install and don't have to worry about loosing your important stuff on another (D:\) partition..

• 3 weeks later...
from a 36gb SCSI drive.. I thought to install XP into a 25gb partition and keep the C:\Program Files folder for what needs to go there. then create another 10gb part as D:\Program Files for major apps.

i've searched a bit and found different opinions. besides Defrag efficiency, is there any good reason to have these separate O/S partitions in a new build?

the Paging file will set itself as necessary and i've read the Documents and Settings should also stay in place.

Defragging efficiency would be a main reason as would security and just plain good "house keeping".

Setting up a new PC/Clean Install with multiple partitions scenario.

If possible (money/space providing), grab another hard drive to store your pictures, videos, personal stuff..etc as 36Gb HDD isn't very big in todays standards.

10Gb for major apps will get eaten up fast with a couple photo, video, or office applications not to mention current 3d games like COD4 and the like.

With a second HDD, partition it instead and leave your 36Gb drive as is.

Windows will operate much faster with a large over head of free space.

Also, you will enjoy faster file transfers from doing chores like extracting large zips and iso's from the second drive to your desktop ...etc.

Let's say your second HDD is 200Gb, here's an example on how I would partition it:

First split it up into 3 partitions. Make the first partition 80Gb and Label it PROGRAMS.

Setup a folder inside called "Program Files" for easy program navigation and installation .

(as you already know, you can have more than just the one on the C: partition)

A second partition of 80 GB and Label it DOWNLOADS for, well- your downloads (save your videos, music, wallpapers, torrents, games, iso's..etc etc

Basically everything you don't want to have to download over again).

You can configure your download managers and BitTorrent clients like