Addons: Left over files in Default User Profile

Zoom7000

I mainly use addons in my RIS installations and have been finding that there have been loads of folders with addon installations files left over in the "Default User" profile that is causing delayed logon times when users log on after a PC has been rebuilt.

On investigating, I find that the folders left over all start 7z with a random 4 character string after it and ends in .tmp

Example:

7zSBCA.tmp

7zSC1d.tmp

7zSC02.tmp

7zSC9c.tmp

7zSCA5.tmp

7zSBCC.tmp

7zSC1F.tmp

7zSC3A.tmp

7zSB04.tmp

7zSC9F.tmp

7zSC86.tmp

7zSCA8.tmp

7zSCA9.tmp

Is there anyway I can delete these files before logon? I tried a script, but the 4 character string after 7z changes all the time.

For that, i'm using a custom cmd file to remove leftover files that i don't want.

Try using the code below. When i tried, it worked.

Save it as Cleanup.cmd and add it to your RunOnceEx.cmd file.

Cleanup.cmd

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off
DEL /F /Q "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User\7z*.tmp"
EXIT

Also, i was using this for folder deletions.

del "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User\OpenOffice.org 2.4 (tr) Installation Files" /Q /S /F

Edited by Nomadturk

Well, this way you can delete folders. But this is as much i could do it. This script below deletes files any folders starting with "7z" from within your default users directory.

BUT, if there are any files in that directories, you may need to run the script twice. It first deletes the inner contents of directories. Second run deletes the folders themselves. (Sometimes... 3-4 runs needed.)

I don't know if you can run this at installation stage. But if you can, you can do it by the code below.

wscript DeleteFolders.vbs

Name this as DeleteFolders.vbs and try.

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colFolders = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Directory where Name Like '%C:\\Documents and Settings\\Default User\\7z%'")
Set colFiles = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Directory where Name Like '%C:\\Documents and Settings\\Default User\\7z%\\'")

For Each objFolder in colFolders
errResults = objFolder.Delete
Next

Well, give it a try. Hope it might help you.

I sure learnt something while searching for this. (:

You may improve it yourself.

Edited by Nomadturk

I dont think that the star a.k.a. asterisk (*) flag will work with RD but with DIR /B it will make a detailed list of all the 7z*.tmp and it will delete them one by one

FOR /F %%I IN ('DIR /B "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Default User\7z*.tmp"') DO RD /S /Q "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Default User\%%I"