Addon problem, help!

Gonzakpo

Hi.

I've made a Microsoft Office 2007 addon but the problem is it doesn't finish installing when windows is installing. My guess is that the win XP installation reboots the pc before the Microsoft Office intallation finish. Once win is installed I can see the folders from Office in the "program files" folder but the installation isn't complete (the icons in the start menu weren't installed for example).

Does anyone knows a way of telling the install cd "do not reboot until...." ?

The same could happen with other program dependencies. For example, if my program A dependes of program B, I'm forced to first install the program B and then program A. But it could happen that the installer calls the program A installation before the program B installation finishes, thus returning an error.

So, any idea on how to fix this problems?. Thanks.

I think you can only install office 07 during RunOnceEx, i dont think the installer is svcpack compatible (I could be wrong)

What I did is a RarSFX with the MS office files and once it extracts it executes "setup.exe /config config.xml" as stated in this topic: http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3717

The installer actually works because I've tried it with XP running. The thing is that when XP is installing it doesn't give the office installer enought time to finish.

Yes, RunOnce is an option. But I wanted to have everything installed once XP boots for the first time.

2 possible solution I can think of:

1) Install program B first (as 1st addon)

-Allow to install some other program first

- Then install program A (allowing some other of your programs to install prior to installing your program A, thus creating a delay, thereby allowing program B to finish installing in the background)

3) use Autoit to control the installation sequence

but I have no idea how to do that in Microsoft Office 2007 as I never try this adventure

2 possible solution I can think of:

1) Install program B first (as 1st addon)

-Allow to install some other program first

- Then install program A (allowing some other of your programs to install prior to installing your program A, thus creating a delay, thereby allowing program B to finish installing in the background)

3) use Autoit to control the installation sequence

but I have no idea how to do that in Microsoft Office 2007 as I never try this adventure

yes, using Autoit is a good idea but that doesn't stop Win XP installation from rebooting :S

That's the main problem here, win Xp reboots too early. I need to generate some sort of delay.

IC what you mean now xp reboots, but this should be no problem if you make the silent installer correctly...the silent installer should stay open until after office is installed delaying windows from rebooting

But this a very common problem with installers that use a setup.exe to launch other intallers, my solution was always to use WinRAR but IC that you are doing that already

That's the main problem here, win Xp reboots too early. I need to generate some sort of delay.

I know there are 2 command line utilites to create delays. google around for timeout.exe or sleep.exe

Then try to incorporate into your setup

BTW,autoit has a function Sleep () that that can delay script execution.

Edited by Geej

well, thanks for the help guys. I think I've found the problem.

The SFX wasn't extracting to a TEMP folder so I guess the SFX exe didn't keep running after extracting. That way the XP install believes the install has finished thus rebooting the PC.

I guess that if I choose to extract to a TEMP folder the SFX will extract and wait for the install to finish to delete the temporary files. Therefore, the install won't reboot the PC until the installation is finished.

This is my theory haha. After some more testing I guess I'll found out if I'm right.

And the dependencies problem I've solved it by integrating both programs in the same addon and executing them in the correct order with a .bat file.

Thanks again. Have a nice day.