Universal Viewer v5.7.3.0

Geej

Universal Viewer v5.7.3.0

Homepage

Universal Viewer is an advanced file viewer with wide range of formats supported. Implemented view modes and corresponding file formats are:

* Text, Binary, Hex, Unicode: any files, of unlimited size (even 4Gb+ sizes are allowed)

* RTF, UTF-8: RTF and UTF-8 encoded texts

* Image: all general graphics formats: BMP JPG GIF PNG TGA TIFF... plus all formats supported by IrfanView/XnView external viewers

* Multimedia: all formats supported by MS Windows Media Player: AVI MPG WMV MP3...

* Internet: all formats supported by MS Internet Explorer: HTML XML DOC XLS...

* Plugins: all formats supported by Total Commander Lister plugins

Application is fully Unicode-compatible and can be integrated into Windows Explorer's context menu, so there is no problem to call it from anywhere in Explorer: right-click a file and select the "Universal Viewer" item. It can also be integrated into other popular file managers.

Generally, Universal Viewer is an application similar to Total Commander Lister. But, comparing to Lister, it has some major advantages:

* Full support for Unicode filenames

* Built-in functions of several popular plugins: images, multimedia, webpages view

* Support for multiple codepages: ANSI, OEM, EBCDIC, ISO, KOI8, Mac etc.

* Toolbar, status bar, other interface improvements

* Auto-reloading of file on changing, "Follow tail" option

* Displaying of line numbers

* Displaying of non-printable characters

* Combined Unicode/Hex mode (call Unicode mode twice)

* More modern RegEx search library

* Print preview

* EXIF viewer

In the Lister plugins section you will find the list of rather good Lister plugins to use in conjunction with UV. These plugins are developed by 3rd parties and are not included into UV installation.

Well, I have included the following plugins from the plugin page:

==> Office, Excellence, ListDoc, PDFView, Imagine, ICLview, FlashView, Font, XBaseView, FileInfo, PE Viewer, TxquickView, NFO View, Office2007, OpenOffice

UniversalViewer5730_ENU_Inf_addon.cab

Size: 9.58 Mb (10,004,274 bytes)

MD5: 207EF490FD53B2F72C3D3108E48DEDF1

============

Screenshot1: Access thru context menu

UViewer01.png

Screenshot2: When opening Excel or Words file, select "Open"

UV02.png

Screenshot3: Open MS Words files

UV03Words.PNG

Screenshot 4: If you encounter random display in opening Excel file, click Internet/Office button for proper display

UV04ExcelFix1.PNG

Edited by Geej

Guest DennyMK

This could be a useful program. Thanks for the addon ;)

[Edit]: For all of you who thinks the download link doesn't work: It works, just need some time...

Edited by DennyMK

This could be a useful program. Thanks for the addon ;)

[Edit]: For all of you who thinks the download link doesn't work: It works, just need some time...

U'r welcome.

I didn't know DL link takes some time to work... :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks!

Please, add more plugins for example: OpenOffice.

The are more than English interface: Bulgarian, Byelarussian, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Hellenic, Hrvatski, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian, Valencian, Vietnamese.

Thanks!

Please, add more plugins for example: OpenOffice.

I'll add OpenOffice plugin in next update.

The are more than English interface: Bulgarian, Byelarussian, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Hellenic, Hrvatski, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian, Valencian, Vietnamese.

I mainly made it English interface only for the main program as most of the plugins have limited language support. So to made it simple, main program & plugins are English only. If your OS is English, all other languages will are deleted. However if your OS is non-English, language interface will not be deleted. You can still change program language but I won't know whether plugin will work correctly or not.

Updated to v4.2.0

Add 2 more plugins to support OpenOffice excel & word file-type.

(Does not requires OpenOffice to be installed to view the text portion of these files)

Edited by Geej

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am writing a research article on the importance of universal viewers and how they can be used in the preservation of digital records (ie. computer files).

Can you please tell me the technical basis of how the universal viewer works? How does it identify the various supported file formats and view them in the viewer?

Any information would be very helpful, I am having a tough time finding information on how universal viewers actually work.

Thank you

The following is somewhat off topic, however I thought it would be in good form to give some information on "Universal Viewers" and how they operate.

Any information would be very helpful, I am having a tough time finding information on how universal viewers actually work.

It depends on how the "Universal Viewer" (UV here after) is actually written.

There are two defining ways of creating a UV. The first, which arguably is the simplest, is to create the UV to recognize the various file extensions. When a UV does that, it can then examine the file to see if it fits that specific file type.

Instead of using the file extension, the second way to create a UV is to actually perform file analysis to determine the file contents. Most file types will have a "signature" to be able to identify it. (e.g. exe files begin with MZ) This kind of UV is more difficult to construct, however it is more robust in the file formats it can identify.

Edited by crashfly

To what I see, on it homepage (top -right), the program is written with Delphi / C /ActiveX components programming lang.

It uses several dll to translate the approprate file information to the UV GUI.

I'm not a programmer so how they are translate to the UV GUI is beyond my knowledge. Info

Thanks, crashfly for helping to answer an off-topic subject :)

This information is very helpful. One last questions if you have time, so we understand that the viewer needs to figure out the file type, but once it does that, how does it render the file? How does the file rendering work?

And that would depend on the file type. Each graphics file has a different way of storing data. The UV would determine the format and decode it to display on screen. Document formats are different from graphics file, so those would be setup to display text, etc. Audio and video files are the most complex, as they typically have a large amount of information to "display" (or send to the speaker in an acoustic format). ---So the short answer is it would depend on the specific file into how it is rendered.

A. Determine file type.

B. Decode file type (if possible).

C. Display file type.

While trying to update to v 5.5.6.2, the installer now requires you to be online before it will install. Otherwise a pop up message will appear and you cannot proceed with the installation. I do not know why it need to go online. The developer has change its installer routine. Perhaps check / send some information to its server and maybe download some files behind your back. So it is something I do not like or feel comfortable about it.

Nevertheless, I repackage this to inf addon so there is no need to be online to install. Includes all usual plugins as before. English only.

Updated to v 5.5.6.2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...