XPtsp GUI v3.0.0.26 - February 27, 2012

dougiefresh

46 members have voted

1. 1. What language OS do you use XPtsp on?

• English
    • non-English
    • Both English and non-English

This poll is closed to new votes

I tried using reshacker. I could extract the message table text to smss.rc which I can edit all day in notepad. But I can't import that .rc back to smss.exe within reshacker. And if I edit smss.exe directly from within reshacker and click "compile script" button, reshacker becomes non-responsive until I force-quit it. I even left it running for over an hour compiling, no luck. The text string I was trying to edit was on line 11000.

I did not correct any checksum because reshacker kept failing.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

I tried using reshacker. I could extract the message table text to smss.rc which I can edit all day in notepad. But I can't import that .rc back to smss.exe within reshacker. And if I edit smss.exe directly from within reshacker and click "compile script" button, reshacker becomes non-responsive until I force-quit it. I even left it running for over an hour compiling, no luck. The text string I was trying to edit was on line 11000.

I did not correct any checksum because reshacker kept failing.

try to extract the Res by program like Resource Builder

the problem maybe extracting the Rc not the res

try it may work :huh:

Mr_Smartepants: I tried using reshacker like you stated and came up with the same results.... I even tried extracting using reshacker, then compiling a RES file with GoRC. That promptly failed... So, I guess I can't make that change in the SMSS.EXE file unless we can find a FREE alternate resource hacker program.

I will have the new Green bootscreen for the green theme uploaded shortly.

DaRk MaDnEsS: Any resource hacker clone program proposed must (1) be free, (2) capable of running from the command-line without a GUI, and (3) ideally must be compatible with Reshacker command-line. Anolis is the closest thing to these mandates, but it can't be run from the command-line at this time, so it can not be considered at this time for use within this project.

Mr_Smartepants: I tried using reshacker like you stated and came up with the same results.... I even tried extracting using reshacker, then compiling a RES file with GoRC. That promptly failed... So, I guess I can't make that change in the SMSS.EXE file unless we can find a FREE alternate resource hacker program.

I will have the new Green bootscreen for the green theme uploaded shortly.

DaRk MaDnEsS: Any resource hacker clone program proposed must (1) be free, (2) capable of running from the command-line without a GUI, and (3) ideally must be compatible with Reshacker command-line. Anolis is the closest thing to these mandates, but it can't be run from the command-line at this time, so it can not be considered at this time for use within this project.

well sadly my Resource Builder have faild as well to make the res file as well

i don't know maybe the files is protected somehow and can't get a res from it i just don't know

Orbit30 managed to do it, screenshot here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=113048&view=findpost&p=747313

He used ResTuner or ResEditor (Not ResHacker)

ResTuner is $39.99 for a license, ResEditor command-line version is $199.99... argh!

Also, it appears the XPtsp servers are offline. I can't download any theme/resource packs from within GUI.

Are you changing the packs? Or did you change the file names/locations?

The script responsable for updating the version info file broken the file... I fixed the issue and it is available again.

ResTuner is $39.99 for a license, ResEditor command-line version is $199.99... argh!

The script responsable for updating the version info file broken the file... I fixed the issue and it is available again.

well that one high Price

Can't you only extract the Message table using ResHacker

into Rc and modify it using notepad then use only rc to get it back

i think you can use the Rc only if it's one File and it's one already

all strings are in one file

Edited by DaRk MaDnEsS

Mr_Smartepants: Thank you for pointing out the problem with the download rate. I've fixed the code so that it shows the proper download rate.

LOL, it's still wrong. See attached. I was getting approx 100-150kb/s at the time (had other downloads going) but look at the download speed. :)

post-3472-124888190462_thumb.png

well that one high Price

Can't you only extract the Message table using ResHacker

into Rc and modify it using notepad then use only rc to get it back

i think you can use the Rc only if it's one File and it's one already

all strings are in one file

Yeah, just think.... that's a PER-LICENSE price! Unrealistic... Regarding the RC file, I extracted just the Message table and made the modifications. Reshacker won't modify the SMSS.EXE file using the RC file and I can't get GoRC to assemble a RES file for it.... what to do, what to do....

LOL, it's still wrong. See attached. I was getting approx 100-150kb/s at the time (had other downloads going) but look at the download speed. :)

post-3472-124888190462_thumb.png

LOL! Wow, almost 10mb/sec! Yup, it's definitely still wrong! I'll try to fix it again.... I'm sorry.

it seems that latest version suddenly stop working.server offline

The subdomain that ShortURL.com manages was configured to completely hide the destination by using frames. I've disabled that feature in order to make the software work correctly. It should work now. Sorry about that....

As long as the 'repatcher' doesn't require it, I say go for it. Most of us have .NET installed anyway.

The smss.exe file is only needed during install. IIRC, it doesn't get copied to the system.

Well, if I replace ResHacker with Anolis, then the GUI Repatcher component will require .NET as well because Anolis requires .NET in order to do it's thing....

EDIT: There is one small issue with patching SMSS.EXE and it involves non-English languages. I know how "Media Center" is spelled in English, but doing so with other languages would an impossible challenge unless there is a string with that phrase that could simply be copied. I'm not talking about "If there is a Media Center component, do this" string, I'm talking about the language equlivant of that string....

EDIT2: I guess that I could add the Anolis program to the package without removing ResHacker....

The subdomain that ShortURL.com manages was configured to completely hide the destination by using frames. I've disabled that feature in order to make the software work correctly. It should work now. Sorry about that....

thanks

Ooops.... Anolis resourcer doesn't have full RES support! It would be very necessary to even consider replacement of ResHacker... Maybe at a future date it can be reconsidered.... Also it doesn't read SMSS.EXE correctly, so it won't be used for that file, either.

EDIT: There is one small issue with patching SMSS.EXE and it involves non-English languages. I know how "Media Center" is spelled in English, but doing so with other languages would an impossible challenge unless there is a string with that phrase that could simply be copied. I'm not talking about "If there is a Media Center component, do this" string, I'm talking about the language equlivant of that string....

im willing to try a french version. each lang would need a different res file for it(if multilang come available),as hexing would be a pain .But for english i dont see any problems using a hex instead fo a res.

also reshacker may work, i think we would simply need to have to save the message table to a text file or rc and the command line would work, adding it via the gui dosent work.

im willing to try a french version. each lang would need a different res file for it(if multilang come available),as hexing would be a pain .But for english i dont see any problems using a hex instead fo a res.
Okay, sounds good.
also reshacker may work, i think we would simply need to have to save the message table to a text file or rc and the command line would work, adding it via the gui dosent work.
Tried it a few posts back. Didn't work.

• 4 weeks later...

BTW, the XP Home bootscreen bug I reported here is still present.

Home is still presented at boot as "Microsoft XP Professional". ;)

I haven't tested with any color other than the green.7z package. I thought this got fixed?

*Edit

The problem exists with Blue.7z theme package as well.

Should I check with any other colors? Or is the problem with the GUI code?

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, the XP Home bootscreen bug I reported here is still present.

Home is still displayed at boot as "Microsoft XP Professional". ;)

Mr_Smartepants: I thought I fixed that issue.... I'll investigate this issue again.

Nope. Bug is still present using XPtsp 2.0.0.4 with green.7z (md5: 1f761c9aca1baf40ea936b98c5a7cdcd).

Any ideas?