XPtsp GUI v3.0.0.26 - February 27, 2012

dougiefresh

46 members have voted

1. 1. What language OS do you use XPtsp on?

• English
    • non-English
    • Both English and non-English

This poll is closed to new votes

Installing bootscreen....

Installing Drive Space Indicator...

Installing QTTab...

ERROR: Cannot install XPtsp_CF!

Installing UberIcon...

ERROR: Cannot install UberIcon!

Installing Visual TaskTips...

ERROR: Cannot install NR_VisTT!

Installing Transparent Bar...

ERROR: Cannot install TransBar!

Installing TrueTransparency...

ERROR: Cannot install TrueTran!

Installing CAD 2009...

ERROR: Cannot install CAD2009!

Installing WinFlip...

ERROR: Cannot install WinFlip!

Installing Vista User Account Pictures...

ERROR: Cannot install VistaPix!

Running OEM Info Generator...

Finalizing Installation....

Patching Completed in 439 seconds.

Deleting Icon Caches from User Profiles...

I got the following error using green theme.

All of my tests that I ran were integrations into the test platform I made earlier (XP Home, user_hidden's Update Pack v1.11, OnePiece's IE8 add-on and Booogey's WMP11 slipstreamer). I never tested the Live Install code again because nothing in that code changed. But I'll run a VM test or 40 and see if I can't figure out what's happening....

By the way, once I figure out this latest problem, I will be working on the "translation" code and modifying resources in order to make them work with the new code, since non-English text tends to take up more space than English text does.

My last GUI test took over 40 minutes during a Live Install, which is an abormally long time. Previous tests took no more than 10 minutes. I encountered no issues with the GUI installing the 3rd-party software, however, it patched the files but did not replace the original files with the new ones at next reboot. I don't understand why it didn't....

:confused02: So I regret to inform everybody that I will not be able to do any virtual machine testing for about a week or two due to severe hard drive problems I am currently experiencing. 5 days ago, I sent off one of my defective drives and it should get there Monday. (Damn New Year's holiday.... :shy: ) Once I receive the replacement drive (which should be in the next week and a half), I should be able to do some more testing.... Meanwhile, I am not able to do further testing.

UPDATE: I've been fiddling with the code some since I can't really do Live Install testing right now and I just noticed something in the v2.1.0.0 GUI... When v2.1.0.0 finds an updated version, it will download the newest version but it won't install it. Also, the updating code has some major memory leak issues....

Update: Since I can't do any VM testing right now, I've been working on the translation code. I've got the code down, and I can transfer the coordinate info from the Dutch versions into the XPtsp resource files. However, some res files may require some additional tweaking. I also need to go through and determine what line of the source file goes where in the XPtsp resource file.

Once everything is complete, I will be able to drop the new function into the patcher script with minimum of modification to the script and a new version will be issued. I haven't decided on the new version number, so I'll set up a poll to see what people think... I'll also be issuing updated theme packages. These will be necessary to be downloaded in order to use the translation code.

BTW, my replacement hard drive should arrive Monday if anyone is interested...

Also, can I request a mod to i386\system32\smss.exe to patch for "Media Center Edition" instead of "Professional"

This is for the blue txtsetup phase to setup partitions etc.

All my attempts to mod smss.exe have failed.

hey,

maybe this hex edit will work..

file: SMSS.EXE

string: Professional Setup

50 00 72 00 6F 00 66 00 65 00 73 00 73 00 69 00 6F 00 6E 00 61 00 6C 00 20 00 53 00 65 00 74 00 75 00 70

to: Media Center Setup

4D 00 65 00 64 00 69 00 61 00 20 00 43 00 65 00 6E 00 74 00 65 00 72 00 20 00 53 00 65 00 74 00 75 00 70

or to:Media Center Edition Setup

4D 00 65 00 64 00 69 00 61 00 20 00 43 00 65 00 6E 00 74 00 65 00 72 00 20 00 45 00 64 00 69 00 74 00 69 00 6F 00 6E 00 20 00 53 00 65 00 74 00 75 00 70

for home try

string: Home Edition Setup

48 00 6F 00 6D 00 65 00 20 00 45 00 64 00 69 00 74 00 69 00 6F 00 6E 00 20 00 53 00 65 00 74 00 75 00 70

to: Media Center Setup

4D 00 65 00 64 00 69 00 61 00 20 00 43 00 65 00 6E 00 74 00 65 00 72 00 20 00 53 00 65 00 74 00 75 00 70

or to:Media Center Edition Setup

4D 00 65 00 64 00 69 00 61 00 20 00 43 00 65 00 6E 00 74 00 65 00 72 00 20 00 45 00 64 00 69 00 74 00 69 00 6F 00 6E 00 20 00 53 00 65 00 74 00 75 00 70

Everybody: Okay, I've got my hard drive in yesterday. The hard drive and package was kinda cold, so I had to let it warm up overnight. I've got my OS reinstalled today and I'm still working on trying to get everything transferred over from my other hard drive... This is a royal pain, though... (losing a hard drive) I'll tell y'all this: it's nice to have my normal speed back...

Last night, I updated the first post of this thread with 2 links to certain topics, both of which I may be able to solve (finally). While I was searching for these topics, I can across a post of mine that reminded me why I coded things the way I did. Specifically, the registry edit on a Live Install that enabled protected system files to be replaced at reboot.... which is probably why patching a Live Install didn't work (I took out that code, not realizing what that would break).... So it'll be reincluded in the next version.

Let's see.... the first test of the translation code was partly successful. It was completely successful for resource files that didn't have dialog boxes. Resources files that did have dialog boxes were not converted to the new language ID code. I suspect this is because the code I used to transfer the coordinate information from the Dutch XPtsp to the English XPtsp also included a new stringtable line. The translation code ALSO included this line. So the res file wasn't able to be built, as there were two stringtable lines with the same string number....

I'm guessing that it will be later this week that I will be able to start testing the XPtsp GUI. I'll be testing the Live Install code first. I may release that before working more on the translation code. I'm not sure yet...

Mr. Fixit: Thanks for the hex edit information! But are you certain that the the English phrases "Professional" and "Media Center" are used in non-English installs? If not, then hex editing won't work for the solution that I am hoping for.... information!

Mr_Smartepants: Thank you for the information! I'll update the CAD to v1.6 with the next release. I'll also look into the branding issue, however, I'm not sure that I can do anything about it.

Fixit: Thank you for the hexing information. I'll try to get that into the next version of the GUI.

Everybody: My computer is FINALLY up and running after the fun of a really blotched weekend installing stuff on my new hard drive.... I should be able to begin testing of the GUI again this week. By this weekend, I hope to deliver a version of the GUI that has translation code built-in. (Maybe I should call it "transcription", since it's a more accurate term :shy: )

Regarding the poll, there have been 7 votes in roughly 2 weeks. Everybody except 1 member voted for the next version with the translation code to be version 3.0.0.0, so that is going to be the next version number.

Mr_Smartepants: Thank you for the information! I'll update the CAD to v1.6 with the next release. I'll also look into the branding issue, however, I'm not sure that I can do anything about it.

Fixit: Thank you for the hexing information. I'll try to get that into the next version of the GUI.

Everybody: My computer is FINALLY up and running after the fun of a really blotched weekend installing stuff on my new hard drive.... I should be able to begin testing of the GUI again this week. By this weekend, I hope to deliver a version of the GUI that has translation code built-in. (Maybe I should call it "transcription", since it's a more accurate term :shy: )

Regarding the poll, there have been 7 votes in roughly 2 weeks. Everybody except 1 member voted for the next version with the translation code to be version 3.0.0.0, so that is going to be the next version number.

good thank you dougiefresh I will wailt new version.Again thank you

Awesome news! So far 2.1.0.0 has fixed all my outstanding issues.

Thank you.

*Edit,

I'm actually troubleshooting an intermittent issue with DriverPacks that may or may not be related to XPtsp. I'm finding that the dps Finisher .log file is not being written to %windir% so either:

1. the file is not being written

2. the file is being deleted

3. something is interfering with the file being written

I have the finisher run during ROE and the only item run at ROE is XPtsp (after finisher). This is a new problem, so I'm still looking into it.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

Everybody: I haven't had any time to research the translation/transcription problem because of the long hours I worked this week. However, I think I've located the code I removed from v2.1.0.0 that relates to the Live Install code. I've put it back in and am testing it. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

QUICK UPDATE: Reinserting that line of code solved the Live Install problem that was noted earlier. I'm looking into the background issue now. Oh yeah, my VM is running at a normal speed now. Installation took about 7 minutes....

Mr_Smartepants: You're welcome! And thanks for the feedback about v2.1.0.0!

Concerning the DriverPack & XPtsp install, I am able to rule out #3 because I don't know of and can't imagine any method to interfere with the writing of a file using AutoIt. I can rule out #2 because I know the XPtsp GUI doesn't delete any files during ROE. Unfortunately, that leaves #1.... My question is whether the finisher actually executes, because if it doesn't, then that is probably why the log file isn't being written. Please let me know what you figure out during the course of your investigation! Thanks!

hamedledam: You're welcome!

What's Changed in v2.1.0.1:

- Seperated XPtsp logo from XPtsp.exe in order to allow theme packages to replace the logo.

- Default GUI mode changed to Install for XP, Integration for all other OSes.

- Modified Integration page to prompt whether to create folder to copy to if not exist.

- Added code to make Home/Pro integrated with MCE components read as MCE during text setup.

- Modified Live Install code to add back code that was removed in v2.1.0.0.

- Fixed issue with background image not getting replaced during Live Install.

- Fixed memory leak issue with the Update GUI page.

- Added code to actually install latest GUI when it is downloaded via GUI.

- Added code to download and install new DSI versions when available.

- Added code to download and install updated language files when available.

It is my intention to relax the XPtsp OS restriction so that the patching can be done on OSes prior to Windows XP for GUI Version 3.0.0.0. Once we figure out how to do the patching for Windows Vista and Seven OSes (and theme packages become available), they will be included in this patcher program. A name change may also be warranted at that point...

=========================================================

Mr_Smartepants: Thanks for that information.

Jatin Beniwal: I've fixed the Live Install code so that it operates properly. Sorry about the wait...

thank you for this ... btw, has cad 1.6 been considered for update or would it still be on ver 3 for xp? ;)

No problem! To answer you question, the CAD add-on will eventually be upgraded to version 1.6. However, I haven't found the time to do so. The CAD add-on is actually a part of the Extras packages, not specifically linked to a specific version of XPtsp.

EDIT: I've found a INF/CAB combo and have made a few changes to it in order for it to be a proper add-on. :thumbsup_anim: However, I've noticed a problem with it in regards to compatibility with XPtsp: I will have to resize the background within XPtsp several times in order to replace the background images that are present.... :thumbsdown_anim: Bummer... :shy:

However, I've noticed a problem with it in regards to compatibility with XPtsp: I will have to resize the background within XPtsp several times in order to replace the background images that are present.... :thumbsdown_anim: Bummer... :shy:

Yeah, I noticed that too, which was why I said I'm unsure how to fix it. Polling the system resolution at first boot and selecting an appropriate background would take care of it, but I don't know how you'd do that.

Anyway, it's no longer a priority for me since I've stopped using CAD2009 on my builds.

Update: Got around the problem with the newest CAD2009 by writing a "wrapper" function that resizes the biggest background file into the appropriately-named and -sized background and then called the actual program. I'm only including the largest background in the add-on.

I'm also updating some of the add-ons for other software, so as soon as I get done with that, I'll be updating both of the sets of Extras.

Update: Got around the problem with the newest CAD2009 by writing a "wrapper" function that resizes the biggest background file into the appropriately-named and -sized background and then called the actual program. I'm only including the largest background in the add-on.

I'm also updating some of the add-ons for other software, so as soon as I get done with that, I'll be updating both of the sets of Extras.

this is good news! :) will wait for the updates & try it out ... cheers!

Would love to create another theme for this (or winstyle) but sadly I never get past the design phase..

Well, I know from my discussions with Bober and Fixit that themes take a long time to design. I believe that Fixit said it took something like 3 months to make the Red theme. So, I can only recommend that you keep working on it and eventually you'll finish it.