XPtsp GUI v3.0.0.26 - February 27, 2012

dougiefresh

46 members have voted

1. 1. What language OS do you use XPtsp on?

• English
    • non-English
    • Both English and non-English

This poll is closed to new votes

Can you send me a copy of your WUAUCPL.CPL.MUI file? It's found in your Windows/System32 folder. It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Integration: It's WUAUCPL.MUI or WUAUCPL.MU_ in the i386 folder....

Thanks. Evidentally, I'm missing something....

EDIT: I inserted the modified MUI file into a VM. It has the problem you mentioned. I ran Reshacker and recompiled that dialog. Relaunched Automatic Updates control panel and all was right.... So what am I missing?

I wrote the code so that all instances of 2000/XP/2003/Vista/Seven will run it, but I'm thinking that maybe the script manually closes Reshacker too soon, so the modified RES file doesn't get saved.... I'm rewriting the code to do it one way for XP SP1 (special requirements) and another way for everything else....

I'm using Win7 X64 has the host OS.

:doh: Thanks! It occurred to me to ask that question, but you beat me to it! I'm running it on a Win7 x86 host....

Personally, I can't imagine anyone actually running XP SP1.

Yeah, me neither. However, I'm sure there are people running it. My wife works for a company whose computers are still running Windows 95....

I'd make it a prerequisite to have XP SP2 or higher. It would certainly make it easier for you to have a reduced codebase. ;)

The affected code is only a difference of 3 lines.... Not much of a difference in order to guarantee compatibility, in my opinion.

:shy: Well, I tested the snippet of code dealing with WUAUCPL.CPL.MUI in a separate script. To my surprise (as well as utter lack thereof), the script failed to patch the WUAUCPL.CPL.MUI file. Adding a line of code to wait for Reshacker to close solves this issue..... Why this situation didn't come up sooner baffles me.... :blink:

As for XP SP1, I implemented a slightly different approach to the same task. The AutoIt help file says that XP SP1 had an update released that blocks the ALT combos passed by AutoIt when user input is blocked. Why would I want to block user input, you ask? Because I need the script to complete the task so that the RES file is correct and user interference during this brief time is completely undesirable. It's maybe 1 to 3 seconds that user input is blocked. Hopefully, it won't cause any problems for anyone, but this "dirty" solution is the only way I can solve this particular problem...

EDIT: Before you ask, I define a "clean" solution as one that the user can't see the process happening, such as our hex-editing code.

EDIT2: Another "Before you ask" question answered... Why don't I upload a new theme package with the corrected res file? Well, the answer is simple: Translated RES files will need this fix as well, as the problem seems to be induced by the Microsoft Resource Compiler.

What's Changed in v3.0.0.6:

- Added check to make sure hex value are valid for TASKMGR.EXE and bootscreen palette.

- Rewrote function to recompile dialog in WUAUCPL.MUI because it apparently doesn't work.

Updated Extra Packages - July 12, 2010:

- Upgraded internal version number from 2.0 to 2.1

- Updated TrueTransparency to version 1.4.0.

- Updated CAD 2009 Edition add-on so that branding doesn't result in error message.

Does this "wait" issue potentially affect other files, or just that one?

Nice find!

Thanks. No, as of this time, it only affects correcting the WUAUCPL.CPL.MUI resource file because it occurs before the actual patching occurs. If any other files require correcting like this one does, I'll be sure to wait until Reshacker is finished before proceeding.... :blush:

BTW, the XP SP1 compatibility code resulted in 10 extra lines, but who's counting when there are 5,600+ lines in the script? LOL!

Trying 3.0.0.6 now, but Symantec AntiVirus is flagging C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\7Zipsfx.000\Temp\icwconn2.exe as a trojan.

After the flag, XPtsp crashed hard with reshacker popping up with the wuaucpl.mui dialog open and locked up the whole machine.

Not very cool.

What's Changed in v3.0.0.6a:

- WUAUCPL recompiling code modified to wait up to 60 seconds for Reshacker to close.

Symantec AntiVirus is flagging C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\7Zipsfx.000\Temp\icwconn2.exe as a trojan.

What the :censored: ?! OMG, that's a new one.... Even if the theme package had changed, it still doesn't make any code changes in any files, with exception of TASKMGR.EXE, REGEDIT.EXE and the kernels. Both TASKMGR.EXE and REGEDIT.EXE are hex-edited to enable high-res icons within each program, a trick I found on the WinCert forum. The kernels are hex-edited to replace the palette for bootscreens.

After the flag, XPtsp crashed hard with reshacker popping up with the wuaucpl.mui dialog open and locked up the whole machine.

I've made an additional modification so that the patcher waits up to 60 seconds for Reshacker. Refreshing current copy online now....

EDIT: Current copy uploaded.

LOL, testing now...

3.0.0.6a gets stuck in an infinite loop of "3.0.0.6a is available to download. Do you want to update?" Clicking yes results in "downloading **kb of 0kb" then restarts the whole process again.

BTW, I like the autoupdating function. Is that new?

LOL, testing now...

3.0.0.6a gets stuck in an infinite loop of "3.0.0.6a is available to download. Do you want to update?" Clicking yes results in "downloading **kb of 0kb" then restarts the whole process again.

BTW, I like the autoupdating function. Is that new?

:thumbsup_anim: Okay.... :blink: I introduced that feature in v3.0.0.3, i think... :doh: Stupid version numbers.... Just click no... :shy:

Regarding the "virus" message that you received, I am running Norton 360 on my machine and I can verify that SAV Norton AV reports an trojan during patching. I don't understand why it does though, as the only thing it changes is one icon.... I can only suggest that antivirus software be disabled prior to patching....

Okay, I changed v3.0.0.6a back to 3.0.0.6 on the server in order to remedy this version checking bug at the moment. I've got some new code put in to deal with the version upgrade bug you found, however, it can wait until the next version is released. Is there anything else I should look at?

What's Changed in v3.0.0.7:

- Updated space requirement info on Live Install and Integration Source pages.

- Fixed the version check code when it checks for updated GUI versions.

- Restored visual elements of Extra's GUI Page back to v2.2.0.4.

- Rewrote internal code dealing with duplicating Home resources for Win2k/2k3 when necessary.

- Fixed code that moves theme-specific visual styles from resource folder to extra folder.

- Added code to build dated CAB of all logs made when keeping log files option.

- Re-Added location of BLISS.BMP to XPtsp.ini (Somehow it got deleted).

Additional Options page:

- Added "Misc" tab with more options to the Additional Options.

- Moved option to disable resource translation from Extra's page to new tab.

- Added an option to not translate non-English XPSP?RES.DLL files during Integration.

- Added an option to keep all logs regarding resource file integration.

- Added an option to enable GUI debugging mode from within the GUI.

- Added an option to use Professional visual theme instead of Home on non-Pro OSes.

- Added an option to disable correcting checksum values in files on Live Install.

Everybody: Fixit raised the issue that non-Pro users might find it confusing if they saw the pictures that we have in our gallery, downloaded the GUI and packages, applied it and found something completely different than what they expected. So I added an option to allow the user to force the GUI to use the XP Professional's visual theme instead. The other options are mostly to make any future debugging easier, and may or may not be useful to other people.

This version also fixes a fairly major issue with Live Install, mainly that of the incorrect visual theme getting applied to a system. I had to strip out the visual theme from the Extra's package and properly include them in the resource package in order to fix the issue with the Green theme. I will be working on the other themes this weekend in order to correct the visual theme problem, as well as to update the dialog coordinate information so that translations will be allowed within the GUI.

Once that is complete, I will be investigating x64 installs to see what needs to be modified in order to get the GUI to integrate the theme packages into the operating system correctly. I expect it to take a while... However, the logonui.exe.res explicitly for x64 will be included in each theme. Unfortunately, this means yet another download for y'all, but it really is unavoidable in order to fix these issues....

What's Changed in v3.0.0.8:

- Added minor code in order to continue supporting older theme packages.

Updated Theme Packages - July 17, 2010

- Updated all theme packages to v2.0.

- Copied visual theme files from batch versions in order to correct appearances.

- Copied all dialog boxes from Green package into each theme package.

These updated theme packages should take care of any remaining issues with the GUI. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by having to download new packages, but it was necessary in order to fix the issues with the GUI.

Just tested 3.0.0.8 on a fresh XP Pro build and the login screen says Windows XP Home! :crying_anim02:

I'll delete all my theme files and try again with fresh downloads.

*Edit

Confirmed.

Pro source results in a "Home" logon/logoff screen.

Testing with an MCE build works perfectly fine.

Testing with a Home build works perfectly fine.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

I fixed the code regarding patching using the proper bootscreen resource file. I had inserted some code that was intended to make sure older theme packages was compatible. Turns out that code was after the code moving the revised bootscreen res into the resource folder, instead of before.....

EDIT: Man, this is ridicilous..... 5,800 lines of code and growing! No wonder it's easy to insert lines incorrectly....

What's Changed in v3.0.0.9

- Fixed the bootscreen issue introduced with v3.0.0.7.

- Moved some code around so that Hex-editing messages appear before patching messages.

- Fixed SVCPACK code so that theme package gets copied to a XPTSP extension, not THEME.

Additional Options page:

- Fixed code in new tab (v3.0.0.7) so that controls are disabled when they shouldn't be.

- Log-keeping feature introduced in v3.0.0.7 removed in favor of logging only errors.

- Option to enable debug GUI mode removed from "Misc" tab.

- Added code to correctly set "Use Professional Theme" flag within the code.

- "Create System Restore Point" option moved from Optional Components to Additional Options.

Translation Support:

- Added code to properly detect background and most default XP sound filenames.

- Corrected the code so that translations actually take place. Most files are now translated.

- When compiling a RC file fail, the RC files are copied to Logs for diagnostic purposes.

Mr_Smartepants: This version fixes the bootscreen issue you mentioned a few posts back.

Bad News: Fixit ran the GUI on a Dutch copy of XP, with dismal results. Backgrounds and sounds were missing, amongst other issues. It was eventually determined that I had made the assumption that the filenames for both were in English.... Silly me....

Good News: I fixed the filename bug. During the translation testing, a LOT of progress was made in getting the GUI to actually translate the text from the Dutch files to the RES files. Currently, there are 4 files that have not been successfully translated, those being MMSYS.CPL, NETID.DLL, SHELL32.DLL and SYSSETUP.DLL. I'm not happy about these files, but I am continuing to try to fix the GUI where it concerns those files.

Bad News: I sent the GUI over the Fixit for further testing. The translation of the resources went without a hitch (with exception of those 4 files previously mentioned). However, he found quite a few issues with the resources themselves.... and I figured out that it's not just with the translated versions. So either I've managed to screw up ALL the theme packages this weekend (which means I'm gonna have to track down which res files were affected, correct them, then upload of theme packages), OR I need to fix the GUI so that ALL of the resources are plugged in properly. Maybe some of both.... I dunno yet...

OK, quick question on 3.0.0.9. On the "Additional Options" step, "Misc" tab; "Enable Resource Translation" option is now greyed out on my XP Pro ENU. Not really a problem since I was disabling that option (English-only sources), but the checkbox is checked and I can't un-check it now. Is this by design? Thanks for all the hard work so far (and the work to come).

*Edit,

In fact, ALL the options are greyed out on that "Misc" tab...

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

hmm, I have been also testing out this since version 3.6:-

I'm using the purple version for the tests on "ENGLISH WINDOWS XP PRO SP3" .

Version 3.6 /a were somewhat OK, but since then these versions 3.7,8,9 have problems with the task manager. It seems not properly patched and a click on the menu of the task manger, it "disappears" like thunder.

Edited by dougiefresh
Edited for content

On the "Additional Options" step, "Misc" tab; "Enable Resource Translation" option is now greyed out on my XP Pro ENU. Not really a problem since I was disabling that option (English-only sources), but the checkbox is checked and I can't un-check it now. Is this by design?

Maybe.... I failed to remove a condition that blocks on Integration, which will cause that checkbox to be greyed out. That's probably causing the issue here, since I know you're downloaded the latest copy of the theme package that you're using.

But something that might cause the issue is using an older theme package. Any non-Green theme package before this weekend, or any pre-Beta Green theme package, will cause this issue as well. This is because some of the dialogs are not maximized for space and probably won't translate right. As for whether it's affect your integration, it shouldn't. However, my English XP source that I've been testing on uses resource language ID of 1033 (hex 0409). I haven't tested any other English locale, so it's still POSSIBLE that it may affect it.... :g:

As for the rest of the dialog, those options shouldn't be disabled, either.....

hmm, I have been also testing out this since version 3.6:-

I'm using the purple version for the tests on "WINDOWS XP PRO SP3" .

Version 3.6 /a were somewhat OK, but since then these versions 3.7,8,9 have problems with the task manager. It seems not properly patched and a click on the menu of the task manger, it "disappears" like thunder.

I haven't seen any issues with Task Manager, but just to be safe, I'll pull the code from some version older than v3.0.0.6 and use it in the script....

Mr_Smartepants: This version fixes the bootscreen issue you mentioned a few posts back.

Just tested 3.0.0.9 on Pro XP sp3. It's not the bootscreen thats the problem, it's the login/logoff screen that is still showing "Home". :(

And it's still there.

314tgqw.png

Edited by Mr_Smartepants