AVG8 and XP SP3

Nomadturk

Ever since i've updated my system to XP SP3, i can't use Avg 8.

When i try to install i get an error saying "Unsupported Windows Version". It says i must have at least SP2 to install.

Weird, all i have is a SP3 XP, Viso, some nlite'ing and addon software. I didn't get such a behaviour from any else software.

What troubles me is that it doesn't seem like everyone else has such a problem. I'ld like to know where may AVG check during this checking process. Also, does anyone else such a problem?

I really would like to re-use AVG as my antivirus.

And i wonder if any other application will have such problems. :(

(Ok, i didn't go to AVG forums for this. As far as i could see, the only response of mods to a few users like me was to post in a proper way. No support-like help was present.)

--

It seems i can install to my pure sp3 installation. That's weird. I'm wondering if Viso modified version of some files... :S

Edited by Nomadturk

I planned to open a topic for my AVG experience, but I will write it in this topic instead.

From what I have seen, AVG is crap, just like several other anti-spy, registry cleaner and similar so called "tools"..

I've installed AVG free on my friend's machine and guess what MR. AVG found a virus on a clean PC, oh really? Yes, you also got a full path to it which actually doesn't EXIST. So, thanks, but no thanks, I will rather pay for NOD32 which is no.1 IMO and would be safe than use some Anti-Virus-Garlic shi....

Regards

(:

Well, i may lack your experiences over those since i had no such trouble with it and was content using it. Also, it is free, which matters a lot when i find it hard to find a proper free alternate to integrate in to my system. But...

As you can see i also have a trouble with my system. Due to change or corruption of a file, AVG displays wrong version info. Therefore, i need to resolve this matter. (:

I've checked winbrand.dll, version.dll, shell32.dll, user32.dll, ws2_32.dll... But couldn't see any difference between them and pure msdn sp3 xp files.

Damn my luck!

Guest DennyMK
Yup, I second that.

AVG virus scanner removes critical Windows file (user32.dll) !!! helooooo !!!!

READ IT or just Google it for more info.

avg_user32_dll.png

I use Kaspersky Internet Security myself since 2006 and no problem there :icon_cool:

Hey Darek, that's v7.5, v8 is better ;) . And I must admit it shows false positives but I simply used to AVG. It's also good to know there is an option for exception for files or folders, so if you know that one program or file isn't a virus, you just add it to exceptions in AVG menu.

Maybe, many of you would disagree with my oppinion, but I use it.

For NomadTurk: I use AVG 8 antivirus on sp3 and never had any problems (I mean with installation or update).

Edited by DennyMK

Guest DennyMK
Denny,

I know that, you said you're using AVG8 before. (:

My problem is different, it's not SP3 related. It's either a corrupted, changed, replaced or missing file.

Than try another custom xp ;)

Problem resolved...

Well, at least i've learnt then answer to my question "why?".

I've got in to contact with AVG Team and learnt that the problem was due to the fact that i've removed File Filter Management Drivers (fltmgr.sys) from within my Windows. When i extracted, expanded and installed necessary files (fltlib.dll, fltmc.exe, fltmgr.inf, fltmgr.sys) from within my raw windows iso, it all worked. I'ld never have imagined removing them would cause this.. i couldn't use AVG since it looks for it to perform installation. (It's required for resident shield).

Here here... I'm happy now, with a stupid smile on my face, thinking how can i re-integrate these for files to my windows source WITHOUT doing all the things again.

(:

Can you guys tell me what do i have to do in order to re-add

FLTLIB.DL_

FLTMC.EX_

FLTMGR.IN_

FLTMGR.SY_

To my source disk?

--

Update:

I am now trying to add the code below to syssetup.inf

fltmgr.inf,DefaultInstall

and this to dosnet.inf