Automatic Update not working?

Don

The issue may be caused by several factors, such as corrupted system DLL files, a corrupted Windows Update temporary folder, or stopped update services. In order to narrow down the cause of this issue and resolve it, let's refer to the following steps. Please access the Windows Update website

to check the result after finishing each step.

NOTE: Some third party programs can also affect the Windows Update service. If you are running any the third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or Web accelerators (programs associated to boost up the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again when completing the update process.

Step 1: Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working

properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "REGSVR32 ATL.DLL" (without quotes) in the

Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between REGSVR32 and ATL.DLL

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL

REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL

REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

REGSVR32 QMGR.DLL

REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL

REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL

Note: Please try and register all the files. While registering each .DLL file you should get a "succeeded" message. If you encounter any error message, please let me know the exact wording.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2: Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic".

Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Note: The event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles. This service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3: Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update contains corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

If you've read this far you guessed it. I had this happen to me and this was from Windows support, the DLL suggestion got my updates running again.

Don

Learning already on my first post. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm a good friend of the developer of Dial-a-fix. He's constantly updating, adding and fixing things with it in order to help repair Windows. It's getting to be a virtual swiss army knife. :P