4 Gb Ram is better to Switch 64 bit operating system

mrk

Dear all

i have 4 gb ram installed can i switch 64-bit version of windows xp for full utilization off Ram because 32bit windows have its own limitation, i am basically confusing about xp 64-bit verstion because it does not have service pack 3 so, if i play game like GTA IV that required Xp Service pack 3 please Provide help to swithing 32bit to 64bit platform

My hardware Is Capable to Hand 64 bit address space.

Edited by mrk

Hello mrk,

yes, you're right about xp sp3.

XP x86 is 5.1 kernel and XP x64 is 5.2 kernel (same like Win2003 Server)

XP x64's SP2 which was released in 2007 is much much newer than XP x86's SP2 (2004).

But there's a better way, you can use the /PAE switch (Physical Address Extension) to utilize the 4GB of memory.

To boot the system and utilize PAE memory, the /PAE switch must be added to the corresponding entry in the Boot.ini file. Basically, if you want to use your 4 GB or memory, you should add the /PAE switch to the end of the line in boot.ini file.

More info:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platf...PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

:thumbsup_anim: Thanks for the info N1K, i also think about switching to 64 bit system bcoz i'd like to upgrade my RAM. Yeah btw 64 bit machines were very rare in my country but since RAMs become very cheap nowadays (+ 64 bit processors of course) there are many people who prefer to upgrade their systems from 32 to 64 bit for more than 3,5/4Gb ram

Hello mrk,

yes, you're right about xp sp3.

XP x86 is 5.1 kernel and XP x64 is 5.2 kernel (same like Win2003 Server)

XP x64's SP2 which was released in 2007 is much much newer than XP x86's SP2 (2004).

But there's a better way, you can use the /PAE switch (Physical Address Extension) to utilize the 4GB of memory.

To boot the system and utilize PAE memory, the /PAE switch must be added to the corresponding entry in the Boot.ini file. Basically, if you want to use your 4 GB or memory, you should add the /PAE switch to the end of the line in boot.ini file.

More info:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platf...PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

Thanks for the information but what about service pack 3 is there is any alternative for this solution