direct link connection between two computers for windows xp

blackace

Hi! I've got a notebook and a desktop computer and i want it to connect like a lan without using a router or any device. I just want it to connect with a cable. Is it possible? pls. give me any information like the name of the cable the settings or setup. Thanks in Advance! :thumbsup_anim: :icon_cool:

Yes, you can easily do this.

You should buy a crossover cable, you can check it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable, or you can make it yourself if you have the tools :)

Once you connect two PC's with a crossover cable, you should set up IP addresses to use the same subnet on both PC's.

For instance:

PC1:

PC2:

You can leave the gateway empty as you won't use any, or you can just use the IP address of that PC.

Regards.

OK some ethernet jacks are smart and can automatically detect it and switch the wires/pins to do this (macs have this feature) but most older PC ethernets you have to make a special cable that the pins are the mirror opposite of each other in order to connect two PC's