USER.EXE

Worf

Hi.

How do you edit the USER.EXE file?

I have tried Resource Hacker and it gave me an error, but then found out that it needed to be edited in an Icon Editor.

Now the problem is that my icon editor (Axialis Icon Workshop) gave an error saying that it is not a Valid 32 file.

Many Thanks for your help

Regards

Worf

The START button icon is found in the file USER.EXE in your WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. You can easy edit it. You need to change the 16X16 icon image in USER.EXE to your own. It can be done easly using icon editor (like Microangelo)

USING MICROANGELO

1.Backup USER.EXE.

2.Load your icon to icon editor (Microangelo Librarian).

3.Copy your icon into clipboard.

4.You can't edit USER.EXE while Windows active so copy USER.EXE to some temporary folder for edit.

5.Load USER.EXE to the icon edior.

6.Doubleclick User 001 image (or select Edit).

7.Select 16X16 image size.

8.Paste your icon.

9.Now quit Windows, and replace USER.EXE.

10.Start Windows.

Thats it!

Enjoy :thumbsup_anim:

The START button icon is found in the file USER.EXE in your WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. You can easy edit it. You need to change the 16X16 icon image in USER.EXE to your own. It can be done easly using icon editor (like Microangelo)

USING MICROANGELO

1.Backup USER.EXE.

2.Load your icon to icon editor (Microangelo Librarian).

3.Copy your icon into clipboard.

4.You can't edit USER.EXE while Windows active so copy USER.EXE to some temporary folder for edit.

5.Load USER.EXE to the icon edior.

6.Doubleclick User 001 image (or select Edit).

7.Select 16X16 image size.

8.Paste your icon.

9.Now quit Windows, and replace USER.EXE.

10.Start Windows.

Thats it!

Enjoy :thumbsup_anim:

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I have tried to load it into Microangelo Librarian and im told that there are no icons in the file.

Edited by Worf

You can't edit user.exe using Reshacker bcoz it's not PE 32 bit (common Windows binary file nowadays) but NE 16 bit format (that's why you got "not valid Win32 app" error message), you'll need NE res binary editor and maybe 16 icon res editor instead (which are kinda rare since Windows 3.x era with NE 16 bit app is over/obsolete)

Edited by AMIRZ

You can't edit user.exe using Reshacker bcoz it's not PE 32 bit (common Windows binary file nowadays) but NE 16 bit format (that's why you got "not valid Win32 app" error message), you'll need NE res binary editor and maybe 16 icon res editor instead (which are kinda rare since Windows 3.x era with NE 16 bit app is over/obsolete)

Thank you for you reply, i know about that it's just editing it in (Microangelo Librarian) as already stated.

When i try to load it in Microangelo Librarian it tells me that there are no icons in this file?

So i just want to know why it is telling me this when other people say to edit it in Microangelo Librarian.

Regards

Worf

^^ Oh sorry i thought you still asked that why you still couldn't use Microangelo Librarian to edit the user.exe file so i just wanted to explain before, but actually you could, just couldn't edit the icon only (as your first purpose). Just misinterpretation here it really slipped my mind, sorry mate i apologize :D

^^ Oh sorry i thought you still asked that why you still couldn't use Microangelo Librarian to edit the user.exe file so i just wanted to explain before, but actually you could, just couldn't edit the icon only (as your first purpose). Just misinterpretation here it really slipped my mind, sorry mate i apologize :D

Thats ok bud. :)

So if anyone knows how too. :thumbsup_anim: