Wiped External hard drive by mistake need help

thealexweb

I was following this guide http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-...-working-guide/ and I accidently wiped the wrong thing and now my external hard disk has been wiped, I need help. It no longer appears in My Computer, I'm using Vista. What is a good data recovery app?

Please help!

I thinking of using a demo of Uneraser once I have a new partition on it, is this a good idea?

Edit: Uneraser doesn't work well if you don't buy it anyone got any alternatives?

In Computer Management in Vista I can't create a partition on the disk because it says the disk is Not Initialized, what does this mean and how can I fix it?

Edited by thealexweb

Guest snakecracker

Yup like lurz said.

Never have heard of a software to get back files that have be formatted... once its been done its done.. no turning back nor getting it back...

Sorry mate..

I ever reformatted my drive accidentally and lost all my data. Then fortunately i was able to recover them all back 100% using only this software: GetData Back NTFS: http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm , it's a shareware though, but very useful and worthy to have imo :P Oh please do not do anything with the wiped drive (any file operation: copy, delete, reformat again etc) before using the software or else you will miss all your data forever. Good luck anyway

Yup like lurz said.

Never have heard of a software to get back files that have be formatted... once its been done its done.. no turning back nor getting it back...

Sorry mate..

There are specialized companies which have tools and equipment to restore data from more than 5 layers format.

We had to contact one company regarding data restore from one disk that was formated. Believe it or not, we got all of the data back.

As for you, you can try "Get Data Back for FAT32 or NTFS" or "Active Undelete" applications.

Guest snakecracker
There are specialized companies which have tools and equipment to restore data from more than 5 layers format.

We had to contact one company regarding data restore from one disk that was formated. Believe it or not, we got all of the data back.

As for you, you can try "Get Data Back for FAT32 or NTFS" or "Active Undelete" applications.

WOW I never knew that one!

Cool!

After a reformat, I believe there is no software out there to recover it with, unless you work for the FBI. Sorry

As long as data on the drive is not overwritten (formatting the drive doesn't actually overwrite any data), pretty much everything can be recovered.

@thealexweb: If you still haven't recovered your data, you should give PhotoRec a try; it's worked wonders for me before.

Edited by gamehead200

As long as data on the drive is not overwritten (formatting the drive doesn't actually overwrite any data), pretty much everything can be recovered.

@thealexweb: If you still haven't recovered your data, you should give PhotoRec a try; it's worked wonders for me before.

So if you reformat and have not reinstalled a OS, you can still recover from that HDD? Or even if you have reinstalled a OS after a reformat you can still recover? Sorry, I am a little slow somwtimes. LOL.

Also, I know there is software/hardware out there that can recover things from reformats with gutman passes etc and also for physically damaged HDD's but I had no ideal that there were things out for the public. Thanks for the info

So if you reformat and have not reinstalled a OS, you can still recover from that HDD? Or even if you have reinstalled a OS after a reformat you can still recover? Sorry, I am a little slow somwtimes. LOL.

If you reformat and have no reinstalled an OS, you should be able to recover almost everything (though, I have had success in recovering 100% of data. If you reinstall the OS, you'll overwrite data already on the drive, so you won't be able to recover everything.

Also, I know there is software/hardware out there that can recover things from reformats with gutman passes etc and also for physically damaged HDD's but I had no ideal that there were things out for the public. Thanks for the info

Yup. You're welcome. :)

Edited by gamehead200