Error Parsing the server when using vSphere on Windows 7

NIM

If you get the:

Error Parsing the server "IP Address" "clients.xml" file Login will continue contact your system administrator

Clicking ok gives you another error:

The type initializer for "VirtualInfrastrcture.Utils.HttpWebRequestProxy" threw an exception

Clicking ok returns you to the login dialogue.

Temporary solution until VMware updates vSphere client for Windows 7

1. Obtain a copy of %SystemRoot%Microsoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727System.dll from a non Windows 7 machine that has .NET 3.5 SP1 installed.

2. Create a folder in the Windows 7 machine where the vSphere client is installed and copy the file from step 1 into this folder. For example, create the folder under the vSphere client launcher installation directory (+%Program Files%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\Lib+).

3. In the vSphere client launcher directory, open the VpxClient.exe.config file in a text editor and add a <runtime> element and a <developmentMode> element as shown below. Save the file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<runtime>

<developmentMode developerInstallation="true"/>

</runtime>

</configuration>

3. Create a batch file (e.g. *VpxClient.cmd*) in a suitable location. In this file add a command to set the DEVPATH environment variable to the folder where you copied the System.dll assembly in step 2 and a second command to launch the vSphere client. Save the file. For example,

SET DEVPATH=%Program Files%\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\Lib

"%ProgramFiles%VMwareInfrastructureVirtual Infrastructure ClientLauncherVpxClient.exe"

4. (Optional) Replace the shortcut on the start menu to point to the batch file created in the previous step. Change the shortcut properties to run minimized so that the command window is not shown.

You can now use the VpxClient.cmd (or the shortcut) to launch the vSphere client in Windows 7.

Note that this workaround bypasses the normal .NET Framework loading mechanism so that assembly versions in the DEVPATH folder are no longer checked.

• 2 months later...

Thanks a lot for this solution, works perfectly in windows 7 x64!

Not entirely perfectly:

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: vpxclient.exe

Problem Signature 02: 4.0.0.0

Problem Signature 03: 49f2a55c

Problem Signature 04: mscorlib

Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06: 4a275af7

Problem Signature 07: 3613

Problem Signature 08: 34

Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentException

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

using current esxi 4 download. :(

Any suggestions? Right now I'm just running it out of an xp in virtual box, ah, the irony.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi N1K,

I had the same problem earlier today, but on Windows XP SP3. I tried to use the same steps you have posted to resolve the problem on Windows 7 & that did not work for me. Though I had found the resolution on http://www.virtualizationTeam.com at the following post:

vSphere Client Error parsing the server "SERVER IP" "clients.xml" file. Login will continue, contact your system administrator.

I thought I will share the info, as it might be useful to others getting stuck on Windows XP SP3 as not many posts on the internet address that. It seems most has addressed Windows 7.

Enjoy,

digg1980