Bypassing school VPN network

Good evening WinCerters! :)

I've recently started on a new education. In the building we have a wireless network without protection on it. However to use it external you have to sign in on a VPN network, that is run in the unsecured network. The most things works fine, like WebAccess and IM programs, however Thunderbird and Steam + some other applications are unable to establish connection (might be because they use ports that are blocked by the VPN to access the internet).

I was thinking about somehow rerouting all network activity on my laptop to be through port 80 (web port - open)?

Or to use my other laptop at home as a proxy server? that can route all my outgoing connection out to the needed servers, as I'll have all ports open.

Thanks in advance! :)

MrT.

• 11 months later...

Good evening WinCerters! :)

I've recently started on a new education. In the building we have a wireless network without protection on it. However to use it external you have to sign in on a VPN network, that is run in the unsecured network. The most things works fine, like WebAccess and IM programs, however Thunderbird and Steam + some other applications are unable to establish connection (might be because they use ports that are blocked by the VPN to access the internet).

I was thinking about somehow rerouting all network activity on my laptop to be through port 80 (web port - open)?

Or to use my other laptop at home as a proxy server? that can route all my outgoing connection out to the needed servers, as I'll have all ports open.

Thanks in advance! :)

MrT.

That's exactly how it works on my school too! This thread is old, but I hope anyone can find a solution :'(

Please, anyone???