windows 7 for $19

ccl0

i wasn't sure if i should post this but i recently did it myself and it worked.

i stumbled upon this topic http://www.overclock...19-4x-win7.html

basically you can sign up for an ACM (association for computing machinery) account and as an added bonus in a couple days you can opt in for msdn-aa account as well.

(all steps are described in the link above).

here are a few notes from my experience:

a. can only pay with a credit card. visa, master card or american express

b. if you sign up on a friday be prepared to wait the weekend. i registered on a thursday and only got everything validated monday.

c. its suppose to be for college students who are currently enrolled or have recently graduated. you must list a school and date of graduation

d. (removed this b/c it is no longer valid)

e. some colleges already offer discounted/free microsoft software for students. so if you are actually enrolled check your school first and see what they offer.

anyway, i only decided to post this after it confirmed it actually worked. i registered and got access to msdn-aa and got 4 retail windows 7 keys :)

edit: today i got an email. i thought i'd post it for everyone to see.

"It is important for ACM to verify that the individuals taking advantage of the ACM Student Academic Initiative are indeed students. Therefore, we are asking you to provide us with the information below by Friday, Sept. 25th.

* The Name of Your Faculty Advisor

* Your Student Identification Number "

so basically you DO have to verify you are a student.

Edited by ccl0

Sounds suspicious to me.

I read the forums, and followed the directions but it wouldn't accept my mailing address. I had to use my parents address before I could progress to the next screen.

Then the billing screen showed $0.00 but still wanted my card info.

That didn't seem right.

I'm out...

maybe it only works for people in america. i have no way of knowing if it works for people in other countries

my experience is it went smooth as can be.

edit: here is a screenshot of me logged into my msdn account via acm. you can see the acm logo in the upper left corner. i also left you a message in the screenshot to prove its actually my account i'm using :)

http://img43.imagesh...3/6610/yayz.jpg

oh the url shows its really from msdn as well

Edited by ccl0

just wanted to add that there is now a more strict policy for registering.

i would assume that this is because of a massive influx of people signing up lol

i updated my first post to reflect that you do indeed have to be a student.

lol well looks like they pulled windows 7 completely from there.

theres still a bunch of other crap like xp and vista, but thats probably not what anyone would want :P

glad i got in when i did :)

It's probably because it's soon 22th October, well only a bit more than a month - till the retail launches.

Just to confirm this thing works perfectly, I've downloaded WinXP and VS2008 without problems, this is awesome for students (I'm studying at Higher Technical Examination Programme (HTX) in Denmark), and I personally can't afford using that much funds for an OS and IDE.

http://windows7.digi...s=1253252029271

Perfectly legitimate offer from M$ for students. Must use valid @***.edu email address. Or upload registration/course list (what I did).

No silly cross-site registration tactics!

Win7 Home Premium for USD $30

Am I Eligible? Yes, if…

√ You qualify if you have a valid .EDU e-mail OR an e-mail address through one of the educational institutions listed here.

√ You are enrolled in coursework, current proof or enrollment may be required in the United States.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

http://windows7.digi...s=1253252029271

Perfectly legitimate offer from M$ for students. Must use valid @***.edu email address. Or upload registration/course list (what I did).

No silly cross-site registration tactics!

is that the full windows 7 iso? or just a windows 7 upgrade?

and lol at "silly cross registration tactics" you are just bitter b/c you couldn't get it to work. the other thousands of people who did are perfectly happy and have no complaints

you are just bitter b/c you couldn't get it to work.

:D

Program Description: Eligible students are allowed to purchase one license of the product below:

1. Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium

OR

2. Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional

The site mentions nothing about full/upgrade but the picture on the main page has "upgrade" in the corner. I'd be shocked if it were the full version.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

i wonder if you can install the upgrade with a fresh reformat and use your vista key, or if you have to have vista installed first

From what I've read...no. In order for the upgrade disc to install, a licensed & activated copy of Vista needs to be installed.

They removed the 'fake' upgrade option (install Vista with no key, then upgrade that install with Vista upgrade key.)