New PC for my friend

NIM

Hi,

my friend needs a new machine and is asking me for advice, although I'm not much into hardware lately. He found one configuration and asked me for an opinion.

Here it is:

- Intel® Core™ i7-950 Procesor

- Intel® Desktop board DX58SO "Smackover"

- Super Talent DDR3 1600 MHz 6 GB Triple Channel kit

- Seagate 1 TB - Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS

- Club 3D Radeon HD4890

- CCT middle tower K-600

- LG DVD writer GH22NS40

- CCT ATX PSU Energy 500W

- Micro All-in-one 3,5" card reader

- Logitech X-210 (970191-0914)

- Logitech Media Keyboard

- Logitech RX300 Optical mouse

He needs it for 3D modeling, Photoshop and video montage.

I said that, from this list, I'd choose CPU, MBO, HDD and graphic card although I prefer NVidia, but he doesn't care.

I would choose Corsair over Super Talent for RAM selection, better housing, for instance a big tower from logitech, for better ventilation, dust protection, space etc. I'd also choose HX620 modular PSU from Corsair instead of that CCT.

DVD writer should be replaced with Pioneer one. All of the rest is crap IMO.

Since I'm not into hardware lately, but I've posted my thoughts few lines above, I'd appreciate any recommendations on this matter.

NOTE: This configuration, which includes installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x86, here in Croatia, costs $2400. Can you believe it?

I believe that he can get a very powerful configuration under $1400, considering abnormal prices in Croatia.

Edited by N1K
Added the price of this configuration!

change the Graphics card (club 3d ATI) for a XFX(nvidia), XFX NVIDIA have a big performance for working with graphics, render3D and other.

I don´t like the ATI graphics card, not working well and the temperature is very hot, long-term decreases the performance graph

home page:Page XFX

for example graphic card XFX NVIDIA 9800GTX2 or XFX NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

And the memory Ram Change brand to kingston or OCZ, this memory Ram is a Big Memory with a big performance and durability

I believe this motherboard not support triple-chanel (Intel® Desktop board DX58SO "Smackover)

maybe change the motherboard on the other,wich also has Intel X58 chipset

Edited by zookey

Guest snakecracker

Well like beats said change the Motherboard to something else like the Asus P6T series.

Also, I would go for a Nvidia... If your mate gets the GTX 260 or GTX 280 edition then that will run like a new born baby.. lol

I would change the RAM to OCZ or Corsair.

Other then that its all good.

This shouldn't degenerate into a ATI/Nvidia thread hijack, but I own a 8800GTS and I used to own Nvidia stock, but I've sold the stock and now recommend people get the ATI 58xx series cards. They use less power and run cooler (and faster) than their Nvidia counterparts. Nvidia has ridiculous power requirements on their latest cards. Also, Nvidia continues to push their proprietary code (CUDA/PhysX) where ATI is transitioning to industry standards (OpenGL, OpenCL). Unless Nvidia pulls a rabbit out of their next hat, ATI is my recommended choice. ccl0 is right. The 5850 is a good choice for a non-gamer.

Back to the original post. If your friend uses Photoshop, any current-gen GPU with more than 128mb memory will offer GPU acceleration in PS CS4.

The mobo listed DOES support tri-channel RAM, but go with a quality name for RAM or he's asking for trouble.

Also, go with a quality PSU (SeaSonic, Antec, etc.).

I always recommend Antec cases, but that's just my personal bias.

Sounds like a fun build! We want pictures after! ;)

ATI 58xx series cards. They use less power and run cooler (and faster) than their Nvidia counterparts. Nvidia has ridiculous power requirements on their latest cards. Also, Nvidia continues to push their proprietary code (CUDA/PhysX) where ATI is transitioning to industry standards (OpenGL, OpenCL). Unless Nvidia pulls a rabbit out of their next hat,

I didn't know that, probably 'cause I'm not into hardware lately. I own 8800GT which I've bought 2 years ago and it's still very good for me. Who know, in the future I might move to ATI as well, after I read several reviews of course :).

I didn't know that, probably 'cause I'm not into hardware lately. I own 8800GT which I've bought 2 years ago and it's still very good for me. Who know, in the future I might move to ATI as well, after I read several reviews of course :).

well right now i think ATI has moved a little bit over Nvidia

i'm still using nvidia as i like them more

but in the last couple of days i seen that amd and ati has been doing some great job

so it's up to your friend to make the pick up

The other nice thing I like about ATI (your friend won't care though) that's great for HTPCs is that HD4xxx series cards and higher have a built-in Realtek HD audio chip so it can output HD audio right over the HDMI cable.

Nvidia can't do that without a spdif adapter (internal only).

The other nice thing I like about ATI (your friend won't care though) that's great for HTPCs is that HD4xxx series cards and higher have a built-in Realtek HD audio chip so it can output HD audio right over the HDMI cable.

Nvidia can't do that without a spdif adapter (internal only).

Yeah, that probably won't mean much to him. Anyway, I'm not using HTPC because I don't want another PC in my house. I'm very satisfied with the Popcorn Hour :)